Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | www.batteriesamerica.com Help

Reviews Summary for www.batteriesamerica.com
www.batteriesamerica.com Reviews: 59 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Wide selection of HT batteries and accessories. Great service. I give them a 5/5
More info: http://www.batteriesamerica.com

You can write your own review of the www.batteriesamerica.com.

AG5CC Rating: 3/5 May 6, 2015 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Point of origin is a mystery  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered the PB-42LH 4000mAh battery and the EMS-42K desktop charger. Battery fits my TH-F6A perfectly. Only had it for a few days, so can't speak to the longevity yet.

The charger weighs exactly 5 ounces, so it's not exactly substantial. It has three lights. One redóilluminates when the charger is plugged into an AC outlet. Another redóglows while the battery is charging. One greenódoes nothing. It's supposed to blink briefly when I plug the charger in, then illuminate to indicate a fully charged battery. Mine is always darkóDOA out of the box. After careful consideration, I determined that (a) if there's a battery in the charger, and (b) the charger is plugged in, and (c) the red charging light is out, then (d) the battery must be chargedógreen light or no green light. My mom would be proud of me.

I wonder what that "QC Pass" sticker on the back of the unit means.

Oddly, there is no indication of country of origin on either the charger or the battery. Not that it matters, but it would be nice to have verification that this thing wasn't made in the good ol' USA. It's not worth the hassle to send it back for a faulty light.

Just one ham's opinion. You paid nothing for it, and it's worth at least that. 73!

W4KVW Rating: 3/5 Jun 19, 2013 17:34 Send this review to a friend
Great products but SLOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The products at Batteries America are quality but their shipping department leaves a lot to desire. They are VERY SLOW at getting an ordered item out for shipping.They did not hesitate to take the payment from my credit card but did drag their feet on shipping the order.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2013 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Good quality, but make sure it fits  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using their batteries for years, & just retired a 10 year old W-32 battery they sold me that's marked Yost. [their previous name] However, since they buy from different suppliers, I have had mixed results. The W-32 batteries I purchased 10 years ago, & now look, & fit exactly like the factory Icom batteries. However, a friend asked me to pick up a Yaesu 50 battery, & it fit very poorly. Fortunately, I was at a hamfest, & went back to the car to check the fit of the battery, & it was horrible. I took my friend's radio back to their booth to try other batteries, & they all fit like crap, so I got my money back, & bought his Yaesu battery from Prostar, which fit fine. So my advice is to buy the battery in person to make sure it fits correctly, because the fit can vary between the Chinese suppliers. However, since all I use is their W-32 battery which is a perfect fit, I give them a "5".

WE7H Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2013 21:10 Send this review to a friend
B.A. Took good care of me!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought an FNB-102Li battery and a couple BC-102 belt clips for my Yaesu VX-8GR from B.A. The after market belt clips are spring loaded and provide a good positive hold on the belt. The battery and one of the clips was good to go.

One of the clips was not too good...weak or improperly attached spring. I sent an e-mail informing Batteries America about the problem with the clip. They responded quickly and said to send it back for replacement. I did. Got the replacement back today...about a week and a half turn around. New clip is nice and strong, nice tight hold. Also the battery I bought is well made, fits the radio and charger good, holds a good charge and lasts a lot longer than the stock 1100 mAh battery.

So, for me these guys are a good business that I feel I can rely on. They provide some good and unique products at good prices along with good service. The clips are awesome in comparison to the stock clips. That all adds up to a 5 in my book.

That's my two cents worth all y'all,

73, Ed

N7MSD Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2011 19:29 Send this review to a friend
Their stuff works for me  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Huh, this seems to be one of those places where you get the good stuff or the bad stuff depending on the day. I guess I got lucky, because I can't complain.

In April or May 2011 (going from memory here) I bought one each of these for my IC-T81A:

BP-200XL 1450mAh pack--note that BA is the *ONLY* company making a battery this large in this form factor, so I didn't exactly have a choice here;

EMS-30i rapid charger because the radio won't charge batteries and my Maha universal charge likes to fry battery packs or cells < 2Ah capacity or so;

and the CBE-200 battery eliminator because the radio's jack is also shot and I haven't replaced it (again) yet.

All of these have worked as expected with no problems. The people on the phone were friendly even with my repeated calls and questioning. I'll be buying from them again, probably for my IC-91AD.

WD8SBB Rating: 3/5 Jan 23, 2011 09:40 Send this review to a friend
BP-170L issues  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am pleased with the order process with BA, and the batteries were fine, but.....

I also ordered a BP-170L battery pack. It allows me to use 6 AA replaceable batteries for my IC-T22A. First thing I noticed was that there was a warning label about oversize batteries on the case. That immediately made me suspicious. I put in 6 AA alkaline batteries and noticed that the case was bulging. Well apparently all major brand batteries must be oversize in BA opinion.

After inspection, I found that the battery spring tabs in the BP-170L case were manufactured so that the tabs went down past the plastic cutout space allowed for the tabs. So basically every battery installed into the pack would force the tab into the pack's side and bulge the pack apart instead of being springy and holding the battery.

So the fix was to get the Dremel tool out and cut the spring tabs shorter. After shortening the spring tabs so that they fit within the designed cutout area for the tabs, everything was fine.

In all fairness, I did not attempt to contact BA on this.

The BP-170L is a nice product and works fine after modification. I can only give it an OK because of shortcomings in manufacturing QA.

73, Ron

KM6CQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2010 18:29 Send this review to a friend
Happy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
FNB-102Li : 7.4 volt 2000mAh rechargeable Li-ION battery for VX-8R, VX-8DR,
VX-8GR
It was 45.00 plus 6.95 for the spring belt clip.

There really seems to be a hit and miss with this company. Either they have a good or bad rating. Not much middle ground. I bought a battery from them and I am very happy with the service and the battery. The fit and finish is very good. However I can see not all of you have had the same experience I have. When getting products from third world countries I think you have to expect a certain amount of this. It could very well be the supplier they buy the battery from for this application is fine. But they have some suppliers that are not so good.
Here is what I wrote on another page about what I bought.

"I do not have a way to test this. However this is what I have done.
I set the beacon today for 1 minute intervals on aprs. I turned it on at 06:30
and it quit working around 21:00 tonight at 5.2 volts.
The stock battery pack would give me around 4 hours with this setup."

The rig I used is a Yaesu VX8-DR so there you have it.

Best Regards, Dan

N2ZDB Rating: 0/5 Nov 15, 2010 09:48 Send this review to a friend
They just want the sale....  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's clear that Batteriesamerica.com just wants to sell you their batteries and/or charging equipment.....then forget you exist! They are at alot of shows and I often wondered how "fresh" their batteries are?

They don't stand behind their batteries if you have problems with them! I have had many fail pre-maturely and/or just not live up to their expectations!

Forget "Mr Nicad"!

VE7GHV Rating: 0/5 Sep 1, 2009 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Since I never got my refund, I cannot recommend them.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I think I sumed it up in my original letter to them:

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:36 AM, Ed Van wrote:
Dear Sir/Madame

I am in receipt of the products below and I am completely unsatisfied with them. For the amounts being charged, I feel they are shoddy and low quality.

The charger does not work as advertised. My existing ICOM and Realistic batteries do not charge properly. None of them will hold any significant charge when using this charger (they work fine using the existing charging system).

The battery (once fully charged) would not run my Realistic HTX-202 radio. On transmit, the radio generates an error - "ER2". I have seen this error in the past and it indicates that there is insufficient power to transmit, indicating that the battery is not up to powering the radio. Since I ordered the largest battery you offer for my radio to ensure long life in the field, this is reason enough to return the product.

The payment you processed came through on my credit card on May 21st. On or about May 28th, the first of several spurious charges were recorded by Visa. They notified me and we determined that my card had been compromised. My card is now cancelled and I am waiting for a replacement. I mention this because I am very careful with my credit card. You are the only vendor I am not familiar with, have not used hundreds of times and are the only online transaction in the past year.

So I suspect that either your site has been compromised or one of your employees is selling credit card information on the side. In either case, I am currently without a credit card and am singularly unwilling to give the new card number to you when I receive it.

Therefore I must ask you to send me a money order or certified cheque in the amount of $139.95 US with your RMA number so that I may return this hardware to you.

Thank you for your attention in this matter.

E. Vandeyck

The products I attempted tp purchase (which have been returned under the RMA issued by the company):

Product Information:

________________________________________

BP-8xh : 8.4v 2700mAh Ni-MH battery pack for ICOM
Part#: BP-8XH
Manufacturer Part#: BP-8XH
(Qty: 1 x $65.00)

EMS-20i : Desktop Rapid-Smart charger for ICOM & REALISTIC style batteries (BP-3, BP-5, BP-7, BP-8, CM-7, CM-8, IC-8, CM-5A, etc).
Part#: EMS-20i
Manufacturer Part#: EMS-20i
(Qty: 1 x $54.95)

So I do not have the products. I do not have my money back and they refuse to answer my emails.

Not a company I can recommend dealing with.

W7KFO Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2009 16:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased hi-capacity NiMH battery packs for my IC-T7H and FT-51R handhelds. Build quality is excellent and performance far exceeds the original equipment (due in part to different chemistries). I also purchased an IC-8 AA case for my old IC-2GAT. Fits perfectly, and the internal trickle charger works well.