Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 445 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

N7ZM Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2014 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Keeps on ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my FT-857 installed in my SUV, I'm on its third SUV now, since it came out in 2003.Using it with my old High Sierra Sidekick screwdriver antenna. Yes it's the FT-857 original not the newer D model. Never had any problems at all. Keeps on ticking along and this one has had no display problems, nothing has gone wrong in 11 years. Would I buy it again? You betcha.
Ron N7ZM

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2014 08:30 Send this review to a friend
KM9V Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too had to replace the display after 7 years of 24/7 use. Nothing more than replacing tires on a car. Would a reviewer of an automobile give a rating of 1 because the tires had to be replaced after driving the car? I think not.

A word to the wise when reading reviews on equipment, don't put a lot of value on the numbers read the reviews. Notice that these reviews are not entirely for new equipment, many hams are writing about the performance of equipment they purchased used.

After all is done make you decision. I did and have a great station built around the 857D.

KM9V Rating: 1/5 Sep 10, 2014 05:33 Send this review to a friend
Display Problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
The radio was a poor choice for a mobile radio. I installed the radio in my 2003 Silverado with the ATAS 120 antenna. It was not too long before the antenna quit working. I sent it back to Yaesu and they said it was corroded inside. It was just out of warranty and finally, they decided to send me a refurbished one to replace it. 6 months later I replaced the antenna after that one was knocked off the truck at a lumber supply yard. That antenna stopped working and I had to take it apart and re-solder some connections inside. I had the display go out and paid to have it replaced. Now the display is out again. This was my first Yaesu product and it will be my last. They should remove the word mobile from the advertising information.

SA6CKE Rating: 4/5 Aug 21, 2014 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, but a bit dated  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the FT-857D as my first ham radio, and I did select it because the shop was out of the 817 that I initially planned to buy. But I'm not disappointed, it works great as a radio.

There are a few things that I think could be better though.
1. When the band is crowded it's hard to filter out adjacent frequencies on the reception, even when putting the upper cut-off frequency to 2kHz.
2. No USB connector, you have to use the CAT interface to talk with it from a computer as well as having a ground separation for audio when connecting it to a computer.
3. The size of it is compact, but it's also not in any "standard" format, which means that it's not a simple drop-in for a vehicle with a DIN position for radios.
4. Why isn't it possible to just buy the plastic holder for the separation kit instead of the full wired kit? I can make wires myself with little effort - and they will get the correct length. This is of course not any fault of the radio itself, just the accessory list.
5. There's no support for the 4m band, which at least in some parts of Europe is coming up.
6. The soldered jumper configuration of frequency bands depending on market requires you to run the soldering iron if you want to do a MARS mod (or corresponding) for where you live - and even then the 2m band has a low ceiling rendering the radio less useful if you want to use it outside the ham bands.

Summary is that it's a good radio, but is starting to be a bit old in the design.

K2JVI Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2014 01:09 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio with big features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my FT857D in early June, traded two other radios in the process. Radio works very well in my Toyota Highlander. Initially I was concerned about RF pickup in the separation kit leads but have been pleasently suprised, no RF pickup, stable operation and clean audio reports. Acditionally the receivers DSP really helps in a mobile environment.I use a magnetic mount antenna and monoband whips for 40,20,and 17 meters.
The FT857D is the solution for the Toyota Highlander, the main unit fits perfectly in a recessed "cubby hole" in the rear of the vehicle and the control head mounts perfectly using a small piece of 2x3 wood inserted in a pocket on the dashboard. One very minor issue operating at my home station, the receiver suffers some overload on the 160 and 80 meter bands as I am near a AM broadcast station ,however, my MFJ versa Tuner V does a good job at providing some "preselection" if you will and clears up the overload issue. Overall a great little radio
and I stll can't get over the size and the performace factor..

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 10:54 Send this review to a friend
A go to rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig seems pretty bullet proof. I've used mine for years in less than ideal conditions. From hiking through trails in rain forests to trail rides on my bike. This thing has only required one cosmetic repair due to being dropped off the top of my SUV while merging onto a highway after I left it on top of my truck. Definitely will continue to be my go to rig!

AE9C Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice....AE9C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased mine (857D)about 1 month ago,,EZ to program,put in 18 frequencys ,repeaters, simplex, fire,police ,aircraft ect in a short time.. Menu system is layed out Very well,set and forget it.!This Shack in abox hears And transmits nicely.on HF good Signal Reports ..Verry pleased with this Radio* Small size, Nice price.had a Icom 706m2g I would say the 857D is better.(sorry Icom)...

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
2nd best all in one rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great radio but I like my Icom IC7000 much more. They are both priced well for what you get in features and performance.

I actually kind of prefer the 857D in my truck over the 7000 as I don't feel so bad beating it up in a dirty/hot environment. But as stated in my 7000 review, if I had to do it over again I'd spend the extra for the 7000 (too bad they have been discontinued, the 7100 went a bit in a different direction).

Still the 857D fits a specific market segment at a good price point and is a very good value.

AD5TD Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2014 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Love/Hate relationship  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Original FT-857 (non D) for around ten years now. To say it's been an easy relationship would understate the problems I have had. The first year, it went back to YAESU four times for all kinds of problems, Mostly a sensitivity to any VSWR above 1.2:1. I can't complain as it was all done under warrantee. It's never worked well on 6M, I just gave up on that band. I don't use UHF/VHF as I can't stand to hear the band relays click while it scans. It has been in four different cars/trucks over the years. I couldn't put it in my last work truck, the company wouldn't let me. It was just starting to show the missing pixels by then and I put it away. 4 years later, I got my own truck and pulled it out for an install. I had a lot of trouble with RF getting back into the rig, but once I got that situated, it was working OK. I decided to send it back to have the display fixed and do a "tune up" on it. Almost $500 bux later, it came home. The reason for the cost was that YAESU no longer stocks the model of LCD or the PC board that supports it, so all of it had to be replaced. Later I found out I could have bought a complete new face plate for less. Well, they fixed the display and aligned all the guts and sent it back and FINALLY after ten years, this thing has been working like it should. It's fantastic! YAESU managed to fix the VSWR problem and it now responds perfectly, It used to make you sound like you had a loose connection, now the power just drops slightly like it should. It took ten years to get it right, but they finally did. I love this little rig, I just hate all the BS that comes with it.

AD5TD

KJ4DKT Rating: 2/5 Jun 29, 2014 10:44 Send this review to a friend
TROUBLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three ft857d. Two developed squelch problems and lines in the display. One, the newest, developed a full display outage. I cant decide whether to junk them or send them out for possible repair. I am very disappointed with these transvievers.