Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 471 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2017 03:36 Send this review to a friend
After 6 months I just love this little RADIO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, After 6 months of ownership , although I haven't used this little Radio a Lot, apart from using 2 Meters SSB and 6 meters SSB talking to locals plus the occasional contest use on HF SSB, I really would recommend this RADIO to everyone. My Main Radio is a Yaesu FTDX-3000, but the little FT-857s audio is excellent, although I will fit an external speaker soon, I just love the digital readout too. I have just bought the remote kit so I can place the front part of this RADIO on the dash of the car using a suction cup to the windscreen. I have read where it is important to keep the digital screen out of direct sunlight plus keep the front unit out of the Sun, as the temperature locally in the summer can be over 40c degrees and the UV rays in VK can destroy many materials. So, I may have to move the Radio front OFF the dashboard or cover it over. I JUST LOVE this little RADIO and if I had to, I would have to replace it with another One.. I Just Love it.. I have an ATAS125 mobile antenna plus a VHF UHF mobile antenna on the car. VK2LEE Lee

N8AUC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 15:54 Send this review to a friend
8 years and going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still having a blast with my FT-857D. It's been 8 years since I bought it. I use it at home, and at Field Day. I added a 300Hz CW filter to it, and it's been great.

The only problem I had with it wasn't with the radio itself. I added the Yaesu DTMF microphone to it, and the mike was susceptible to external RF. Went back to the original mike, and all was well again. So I use the DTMF mike with my FT-817 and it works well on that radio.

One of these days, it will eventually fail. And when it does, I really don't know what I'll replace it with. I haven't seen another radio that I like as much as my FT-857D.

And yes, I'd buy it all over again.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

WD9GNG Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Still Great After 10 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still a great transceiver after more than 10 years. I have only used the radio at home and in the field but never in a car yet. I have read about display issues people have had. I have been lucky since mine looks and operates as fine as the day I bought it.

I imagine that the heat changes and bumping around beats the heck out of any radio after a while but the display issue sounds like it happened to a bunch of people.

I also have a Kenwood TS-130 which is older than the FT-857 but I have it put up since I love the small profile the Yaesu FT-857 has on my desk.

A Carolina Windom for 80-6 and my LDG AT-100Pro has given me an incredible small footprint in the shack but still performs very nicely.

It is still incredible how much can be packed into such a small package! Non-Ham visitors are always amazed when I turn it on and show them the capabilities this little radio has. Hams are not impressed when they see my set up but it works well and keeps the wife happy and me on the air!

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 03:59 Send this review to a friend
I'm just loving this little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I am still exploring this little Radio, I was going to fit it into a Car with the ATLAS 125 antenna, but after having the antenna on the car for about a month and not being able to find where to put the Radio Head, I have been using this radio for 2 meters SSB QSO's with a semi local and even on 2 meters FM. Somehow I have adjusted the menu, so the S Meter when the signal is 9 or stronger it turns RED.. As I said I have NO Idea how I did this but I like it.. I also am still amazed at the audio from the very small speaker and ALL the details that can be seen in the Display. This is with the Radio sitting in front of My eyes, so it Would be different in a MOBILE situation. The SWR and S meter are also EXCELLENT. I just love this small but heavy little Radio. Now to look at the operators manual AGAIN.. Highly recommended .. Lee VK2LEE

KD6NXI Rating: 1/5 May 17, 2017 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Infuriating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The menu and button combinations are so obtuse and their abbreviations for things are maddening. Nothing is logical.

K5XOM Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2017 13:49 Send this review to a friend
It has been a good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the radio for a road trip plus the ATAS-120a. But I didn't get to use it as the trip got too busy doing other things, and I really didn't get to ground strap the vehicle like it was suggested.
So after the road trip I set the radio up in the house as the base rig. I had been out of the hamming circuit for around 20 years. This is the first rig plus a FTM-100Dr that I purchased after resuming hamming in 2015. So I have made many contacts on HF 20m, 17m bands across the world, Eastern Europe, South America and South Pacific on a OCF inverted vee. Also worked many contacts on 40m and 80m. Audio is good as noted from some contacts. I have tried 60M but always get a transmit error. I sort of gave up on figuring out why that is. Some of the modes I have not used yet. I hope to get my vehicle ground strapped as needed and put the ATAS-120A on it to try that out. All in all it has been a good radio on HF and VHF.

KB0KYV Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2017 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Well Built Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig has survived two Nebraska winters in my pickup. I use it almost every day. Paired with a couple of well tuned HamStick antennas for 17 and 10 meters, this radio has given me lots of enjoyment.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2017 02:36 Send this review to a friend
I really ENJOY using this ultra small all mode Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is incredible that so much can be crammed into so little space. It has taken Me a while to read some of the manual to find how to do just about anything..Hi Hi.. Although still a lot to learn, or maybe I know enough to do what I want to do Hi Hi. When You have selected the High tuning speed, a man running appears on the bottom RH corner, and He runs as you turn the large tuning knob. I have worked out most of the HF menu items that I would use but haven't done any of the UHF VHF menu as yet. Although the top mounted speaker is very small, I find the audio OK and when using this Radio it really takes Me back to My early SSB CB days. My Radio has an SO 239 socket for HF-6m and an N connector for VHF UHF. Once you get the hang of how the menu system works it is quite easy, although the size of the operators manual is a bit daunting Hi Hi. Now as a 70 year old I find most things with a menu very troublesome but I have nothing but praise for this ultra light and small all mode Radio. For use in mobiles, all you need is a cat cable to connect the head to the body of the radio. If You prefer a different color screen display , there are 32 options, so there should be a color to suit everyone's taste..Hi Hi.. I have NO problems reading all the text etc on the screen when in My shack [usually using 144 MHz SSB] but it could be a problem when mobile, although You probably won't need to adjust anything apart from the RF gain, Volume, Tuning and maybe operating the ATAS mobile antenna. I really enjoy using this ultra small Radio with 100 watts HF +6m and 50 watts on 2 meters and 20 watts on 70 cms. ALL MODE. This Radio does get very hot when You have long overs [as I do] so I use a 4 inch fan to keep it cool. A larger external speaker would probably be a huge improvement, although I haven't tested this as yet. I also have an ATAS 125 mobile antenna and the LDG external meter. I believe I get more pleasure in using and hearing this Radio than My FTDX-3000. VK2LEE LEE

N2MDV Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2017 10:19 Send this review to a friend
Great for portable and mobile, but not a great base rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the FT-817 at contests and got the FT-857D since (To me.), is was an FT-817 with a 100W amp in it. I've found the HF performance to be average, even with the added on Collins filters. However, this rig did shine on 6M SSB and 2M SSB, albeit it did need help in sensitivity there on 2M. 432 SSB and 440 FM was nice to have, even if you only got 20W out of it. FM TX, you needed to do mic set adjusting, compared to where you sound good on SSB (Which sounds punchy on SSB), but that seems to be the deal with every SSB rig with FM that I've had. On AM transmit, this rig sounds terrible. So no doing 50.400, 29.000, 7295, and 3885, AM with this rig. My TS-50S, TS-60S, and even an Icom 7000, just blew this rig away on AM quality. I did like the custom adjustable LED back lit LCD display, even if it is small and a bit crowded. That big, right side, tuning knob looks awkward, but it has a nice feel to it. As a portable rig, it will wear down gel cell batteries with over 1A draw on RX. (There, the FT-817 is king with just the .250A draw.) Where this rig did shine was mobile Rover operation during a June VHF / UHF contest. The only other rig that I had to put in with me was the separate 222MHz rig. A friend of mine wanted this rig, so I sold it since I had better performance with the mentioned preceding Kenwood and Icom rigs, and I can use them as base rigs. (And, I still have them.) Still, for what the FT-857D is, price-wise it is the best bang for the $$$$ out there, but just consider what it is that you want to do with it.

KI7AQJ Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2016 01:59 Send this review to a friend
So far so good.   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The sound quality is poor, and the display is tiny and hard to read, but it seems to be a fairly robust little transceiver, despite it's shortcomings. The control head fell into a bucket of water while washing the truck. I disassembled it, and used 36 years of tricks to get it dried out. It actually came back to life and still works. I think I put a piece of cardboard in backwards, as one button does not light up now, but everything seems to work again. HF is okay on it. 2 meter & 70cm are really good. The ATAS 120A is a pile of junk for HF. Don't even waste your money on that POS! Buy a Tarheel or get one of those coil loaded antennas off eBay with over 200 tap combinations, or Hustlers, or ham sticks & do away with the moving parts all together. Those screwdriver antennas just don't like bad roads & bad weather, but I don't have much choice where I need to drive. I have had that ATAS120 apart for cleaning & repairs twice already, so maybe stick with the 857, & don't get the ATAS with it. For what the 857s cost they are a neat little transceiver at home in the vehicle or anywhere else. I am using an old Astron 35 amp PSU for home use, and 25A fused #10 AWG automotive zip cord, off the main block with some 3000 volt .01uF filter cap, coils & ferrites on the alternator for the GM truck. It seems to be a good little XCVR. That Yeasu antenna is another matter entirely. I know I have good counterpoise, but it just fails to find any good place to tune most HF bands between 40 & 10 meters. I have mounted it to a metal building & grounded it and the building to ground rods, abandoned piping, water pipes, etc, and it still refuses to work right. The truck has 7/8" braided straps all over it and the same story.