Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 440 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

N0TES Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2014 10:54 Send this review to a friend
A go to rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig seems pretty bullet proof. I've used mine for years in less than ideal conditions. From hiking through trails in rain forests to trail rides on my bike. This thing has only required one cosmetic repair due to being dropped off the top of my SUV while merging onto a highway after I left it on top of my truck. Definitely will continue to be my go to rig!

AE9C Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2014 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice....AE9C  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased mine (857D)about 1 month ago,,EZ to program,put in 18 frequencys ,repeaters, simplex, fire,police ,aircraft ect in a short time.. Menu system is layed out Very well,set and forget it.!This Shack in abox hears And transmits nicely.on HF good Signal Reports ..Verry pleased with this Radio* Small size, Nice price.had a Icom 706m2g I would say the 857D is better.(sorry Icom)...

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2014 13:29 Send this review to a friend
2nd best all in one rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great radio but I like my Icom IC7000 much more. They are both priced well for what you get in features and performance.

I actually kind of prefer the 857D in my truck over the 7000 as I don't feel so bad beating it up in a dirty/hot environment. But as stated in my 7000 review, if I had to do it over again I'd spend the extra for the 7000 (too bad they have been discontinued, the 7100 went a bit in a different direction).

Still the 857D fits a specific market segment at a good price point and is a very good value.

AD5TD Rating: 4/5 Jun 29, 2014 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Love/Hate relationship  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Original FT-857 (non D) for around ten years now. To say it's been an easy relationship would understate the problems I have had. The first year, it went back to YAESU four times for all kinds of problems, Mostly a sensitivity to any VSWR above 1.2:1. I can't complain as it was all done under warrantee. It's never worked well on 6M, I just gave up on that band. I don't use UHF/VHF as I can't stand to hear the band relays click while it scans. It has been in four different cars/trucks over the years. I couldn't put it in my last work truck, the company wouldn't let me. It was just starting to show the missing pixels by then and I put it away. 4 years later, I got my own truck and pulled it out for an install. I had a lot of trouble with RF getting back into the rig, but once I got that situated, it was working OK. I decided to send it back to have the display fixed and do a "tune up" on it. Almost $500 bux later, it came home. The reason for the cost was that YAESU no longer stocks the model of LCD or the PC board that supports it, so all of it had to be replaced. Later I found out I could have bought a complete new face plate for less. Well, they fixed the display and aligned all the guts and sent it back and FINALLY after ten years, this thing has been working like it should. It's fantastic! YAESU managed to fix the VSWR problem and it now responds perfectly, It used to make you sound like you had a loose connection, now the power just drops slightly like it should. It took ten years to get it right, but they finally did. I love this little rig, I just hate all the BS that comes with it.

AD5TD

KJ4DKT Rating: 2/5 Jun 29, 2014 10:44 Send this review to a friend
TROUBLE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three ft857d. Two developed squelch problems and lines in the display. One, the newest, developed a full display outage. I cant decide whether to junk them or send them out for possible repair. I am very disappointed with these transvievers.

WI0H Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2014 16:05 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong after four years in the mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mobile operation is never kind to any radio, but it is especially cruel here in the Midwest. For those who don't know about the weather here in Flyover Country, we can experience summer highs of 102 and winter lows of -20. In spite of that bake/freeze cycle we have going here, that radio has operated through all of it, and it's never failed to answer the call. No 'zebra stripe' displays, no audio issues, in fact no problems at all. Just a good, solid performing radio that seems up to the challenge of living in my truck. I couldn't ask for more.

W4KQB Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Well-had to get one!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Finally have went for it and picked up the FT-857D. As a proud owner of the big brother FT-897D, I wanted something to work mobile as the FT-897D I have is too big for the truck.
This radio is fantastic-I like everything about it and have worked DX quite often with 100 W or less-good audio reports. The detachable head works and fits perfect in the Lido cup holder mount(see my Qrz page for pics)!! I have the FT-897D (overkill) just for the dual band repeaters in the shack next to the FT-2000D. If you pick a FT-857D up,you will not be dissapointed (I know they have been around awhile). I am using the ATAS-120A Yaesu screw driver antenna with excellent performance on the mobile.

N5WJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2014 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Love this Radio .. Put it under the Seat of my Mazda B-3000 Pickup with the Control head secured by one of those Cup Holder Deals on Ebay and it works like a Champ.. Great audio small footprint radio but 100 big watts.. Using an ATAS 120A which regardless of the reviews here on eham works flawlessly, installed it in a few hours mounting the Antenna on my Tool Box.. Radio tunes the antenna and off you go.. Great radio and setup..

Frank.. N5WJ

K7BPA Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2014 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Great HF/VHF/UHF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Outstanding radio. Great starter/mobile/portable radio.

I've had mine for 6 months mounted in a 2014 Toyota Tacoma truck. It met my expectations to do what it's supposed to do, make contacts. I'm the no frills type of guy and this radio has more than I need. It's compact size is indisputable as it still is a 100W capable radio. I've made numerous contacts from AZ and it has not let me down.

The only issues I've had was when I 1st had it in my 2006 Jeep Wrangler LJ. The radio suffered terrible QRM from the ignition system. I tried it all and nothing. When it went into the Tacoma a night and day difference. I only get a slight noise on 20M but far from what I experienced when it was in the Jeep. Jeeps are notorious for noise generator. So I'm not dinging the radio for that.

KI6ADA Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 21:36 Send this review to a friend
A little surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I made my 45 minute drive to my HRO. Decisions? My intentions were the FT-817ND. But I am currently staying near the home and a family with one car. I could not pass up the great deal with my trade in value.
My favorite part of the radio? The head unit. Yaesu is sending everyone home with YSK kit. I can hold the Head unit and watch TV or surf the net. I am finding the menus pretty simple. I am currently not using digital modes and have not hooked up my VHF/UHF antenna. The buttons are easy to use and well thought. The DSP feature is adjustable for each DSP setting.
I have allot to learn about this radio. If you live in a small house and share space with family? Check out the FT_857D. Just remember all of the mobile HF rigs are heavy in menus. Pick one with your favorite features.