Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 473 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2017 02:24 Send this review to a friend
I just love this small all mode Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have found the menu and operating instructions excellent as I have found that many menus and operating instructions can be difficult or written incorrectly which makes learning even more difficult... but I have found the instruction manual on this Radio written in plain easy to read and understand English ... it Really works for this 70 year old brain!!! I think I have found one small problem - QRM seems to be worse on this Radio when compared to My FTDX-3000. I know there is a HUGE price difference, so maybe that is one of the trade offs?? I will have to compare QRM next time there is a local Contest on. But overall, I still love and recommend this little Transceiver.. I'm sure you will too. VK2LEE Lee

KD0ZLG Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2017 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great first radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio as my first HF rig and it has worked great. I live in an apartment, so I wanted something that was easy to use indoors as well as take outdoors while camping. So far it has lived up to what I expected.

I've used 2m/70cm FM, 2/10/17/20/40m SSB, and 15/17/20/30/40m on digital modes (JT65/JT9/FT8). This radio gets use in my apartment and also with a gel battery when I go camping.

One thing to acknowledge is the menu system takes some getting used to. The trade-off here is the size of the unit. I can travel with this easily inside of a laptop bag. To me that is a more than an acceptable trade-off. Also to me the menus were easy to navigate once I got used to them.

I bought this radio when I was a tech studying for my general. The only radios I owned prior were a couple of Baofeng handleds. It has held up well, and the many bands and modes available have really let me explore what is out there. I've enjoyed both voice and digital so far and this radio has performed great, I have no complaints.

Gear I use it with for HF:
Signalink USB for digital modes
Indoors - MFJ-933 loop tuner
Outdoors - Buddipole Deluxe or mag-mount on my car with ham sticks (only while parked), with MFJ-902B tuner

I've so far worked 14 countries between voice and digital, and I don't operate on a regular basis. As a new general I found it a great radio to get started with and explore. To me it has been worth every penny.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2017 03:36 Send this review to a friend
After 6 months I just love this little RADIO  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, After 6 months of ownership , although I haven't used this little Radio a Lot, apart from using 2 Meters SSB and 6 meters SSB talking to locals plus the occasional contest use on HF SSB, I really would recommend this RADIO to everyone. My Main Radio is a Yaesu FTDX-3000, but the little FT-857s audio is excellent, although I will fit an external speaker soon, I just love the digital readout too. I have just bought the remote kit so I can place the front part of this RADIO on the dash of the car using a suction cup to the windscreen. I have read where it is important to keep the digital screen out of direct sunlight plus keep the front unit out of the Sun, as the temperature locally in the summer can be over 40c degrees and the UV rays in VK can destroy many materials. So, I may have to move the Radio front OFF the dashboard or cover it over. I JUST LOVE this little RADIO and if I had to, I would have to replace it with another One.. I Just Love it.. I have an ATAS125 mobile antenna plus a VHF UHF mobile antenna on the car. VK2LEE Lee

N8AUC Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 15:54 Send this review to a friend
8 years and going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still having a blast with my FT-857D. It's been 8 years since I bought it. I use it at home, and at Field Day. I added a 300Hz CW filter to it, and it's been great.

The only problem I had with it wasn't with the radio itself. I added the Yaesu DTMF microphone to it, and the mike was susceptible to external RF. Went back to the original mike, and all was well again. So I use the DTMF mike with my FT-817 and it works well on that radio.

One of these days, it will eventually fail. And when it does, I really don't know what I'll replace it with. I haven't seen another radio that I like as much as my FT-857D.

And yes, I'd buy it all over again.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

WD9GNG Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Still Great After 10 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still a great transceiver after more than 10 years. I have only used the radio at home and in the field but never in a car yet. I have read about display issues people have had. I have been lucky since mine looks and operates as fine as the day I bought it.

I imagine that the heat changes and bumping around beats the heck out of any radio after a while but the display issue sounds like it happened to a bunch of people.

I also have a Kenwood TS-130 which is older than the FT-857 but I have it put up since I love the small profile the Yaesu FT-857 has on my desk.

A Carolina Windom for 80-6 and my LDG AT-100Pro has given me an incredible small footprint in the shack but still performs very nicely.

It is still incredible how much can be packed into such a small package! Non-Ham visitors are always amazed when I turn it on and show them the capabilities this little radio has. Hams are not impressed when they see my set up but it works well and keeps the wife happy and me on the air!

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 03:59 Send this review to a friend
I'm just loving this little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, I am still exploring this little Radio, I was going to fit it into a Car with the ATLAS 125 antenna, but after having the antenna on the car for about a month and not being able to find where to put the Radio Head, I have been using this radio for 2 meters SSB QSO's with a semi local and even on 2 meters FM. Somehow I have adjusted the menu, so the S Meter when the signal is 9 or stronger it turns RED.. As I said I have NO Idea how I did this but I like it.. I also am still amazed at the audio from the very small speaker and ALL the details that can be seen in the Display. This is with the Radio sitting in front of My eyes, so it Would be different in a MOBILE situation. The SWR and S meter are also EXCELLENT. I just love this small but heavy little Radio. Now to look at the operators manual AGAIN.. Highly recommended .. Lee VK2LEE

KD6NXI Rating: 1/5 May 17, 2017 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Infuriating  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The menu and button combinations are so obtuse and their abbreviations for things are maddening. Nothing is logical.

K5XOM Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2017 13:49 Send this review to a friend
It has been a good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the radio for a road trip plus the ATAS-120a. But I didn't get to use it as the trip got too busy doing other things, and I really didn't get to ground strap the vehicle like it was suggested.
So after the road trip I set the radio up in the house as the base rig. I had been out of the hamming circuit for around 20 years. This is the first rig plus a FTM-100Dr that I purchased after resuming hamming in 2015. So I have made many contacts on HF 20m, 17m bands across the world, Eastern Europe, South America and South Pacific on a OCF inverted vee. Also worked many contacts on 40m and 80m. Audio is good as noted from some contacts. I have tried 60M but always get a transmit error. I sort of gave up on figuring out why that is. Some of the modes I have not used yet. I hope to get my vehicle ground strapped as needed and put the ATAS-120A on it to try that out. All in all it has been a good radio on HF and VHF.

KB0KYV Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2017 22:53 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Well Built Mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig has survived two Nebraska winters in my pickup. I use it almost every day. Paired with a couple of well tuned HamStick antennas for 17 and 10 meters, this radio has given me lots of enjoyment.

VK2LEE Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2017 02:36 Send this review to a friend
I really ENJOY using this ultra small all mode Transceiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is incredible that so much can be crammed into so little space. It has taken Me a while to read some of the manual to find how to do just about anything..Hi Hi.. Although still a lot to learn, or maybe I know enough to do what I want to do Hi Hi. When You have selected the High tuning speed, a man running appears on the bottom RH corner, and He runs as you turn the large tuning knob. I have worked out most of the HF menu items that I would use but haven't done any of the UHF VHF menu as yet. Although the top mounted speaker is very small, I find the audio OK and when using this Radio it really takes Me back to My early SSB CB days. My Radio has an SO 239 socket for HF-6m and an N connector for VHF UHF. Once you get the hang of how the menu system works it is quite easy, although the size of the operators manual is a bit daunting Hi Hi. Now as a 70 year old I find most things with a menu very troublesome but I have nothing but praise for this ultra light and small all mode Radio. For use in mobiles, all you need is a cat cable to connect the head to the body of the radio. If You prefer a different color screen display , there are 32 options, so there should be a color to suit everyone's taste..Hi Hi.. I have NO problems reading all the text etc on the screen when in My shack [usually using 144 MHz SSB] but it could be a problem when mobile, although You probably won't need to adjust anything apart from the RF gain, Volume, Tuning and maybe operating the ATAS mobile antenna. I really enjoy using this ultra small Radio with 100 watts HF +6m and 50 watts on 2 meters and 20 watts on 70 cms. ALL MODE. This Radio does get very hot when You have long overs [as I do] so I use a 4 inch fan to keep it cool. A larger external speaker would probably be a huge improvement, although I haven't tested this as yet. I also have an ATAS 125 mobile antenna and the LDG external meter. I believe I get more pleasure in using and hearing this Radio than My FTDX-3000. VK2LEE LEE