Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 446 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

WD5FUN Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2007 04:23 Send this review to a friend
Best Value in Ham Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this radio with separation kit for a little over $650 about six months ago. It has far exceeded my expectations. I had a Icom 706mkII and a MKIIG previously and I find the 857d to be a superior rig. The audio DSP works very well and the menu system is fairly intuitive. If you are looking for a mobile or portable full coverage tranceiver, this rig is for you.

KT4WO Rating: 3/5 Dec 27, 2007 21:05 Send this review to a friend
You will Love it.. IF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had 2 of these little rigs...for the size..they do a fine job..
They have a better RX than the Kenwood TS-570D/G(It wont hear thunder)

BUT
If you have ever had a rig with a "True" good RX..then the 857 will disapoint. For the size, Its a fine rig and will fit anywhere!

N2OBY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2007 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Does it all - Beautifully!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using the FT-857D in my truck exclusively for about seven months, and it continues to impress me. I was anticipating a serious dislike of the small display, but that hasn't been the case. Yes, the nested menus can be tough to navigate, but that becomes easier with both experience and having to change certain settings infrequently. Out of the box the rig is very easy to use, and with experience gained the tweaks improve an already great radio.

I've mounted the body under the passenger seat in my '98 Dodge Ram, with the control head mounted on a stalk along with that for a Kenwood TM-D700. I recently added an external speaker at the bottom of the stalk (in the middle of the bench seat), which has certainly helped.

The noise blanker has effectively eliminated the ignition noise I experienced, and the DSP has made listening a real pleasure. To date I've only used the radio on HF, though I have plans to do some portable weak signal VHF/UHF work in the future - another reason I went with the all-band/all-mode 857D.

On HF the rig is connected to a High Sierra 1800 antenna. While the following comment is purely anecdotal, with no scientific testing to back it, I can say that "if I've heard them I've worked them". My mobile log is filled with plenty of DX contacts, ranging from the Caribbean, to Europe and Africa, along with plenty of stateside qso's. For what it's worth I've always received very complimentary signal reports.

I purchased the Yaesu TCXO and W4RT cw & ssb filters with the rig, along with the remote control microphone. With a $70.00 instant rebate and free separation kit, the entire package brand-new was somewhere between $900.00 - $1,000.00. As far as I'm concerned it was a deal of a lifetime.

The only other rig I considered at the time was the Kenwood TS-480AT. However the FT-857D included VHF/UHF, and even with the extras cost far less. In my opinion this radio can do it all - in the shack, mobile or portable. For the price it can't be beat!

KC8NTP Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2007 15:02 Send this review to a friend
awesome radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Yaesu ft-857D because it seemed like a cheap compromise to getting back into amateur radio I had been out of radio for many years. A compromise it is not. I am very impressed at how the radio performs. I have used the radio exclusively mobile for a year. My truck has very bad ignition, which I have not been able to correct, no matter what I have tried. With the noise I have still been able to make many contacts because of the great DSP.

The one problem that I have encountered is that the ALC pumps very bad on 20m. I found the solution with ease so I am not going to diminish my rating because of this; I went into the alignment menu and turned back the TX gain and turned down the ALC, which cured the problem without any lowering of the output power.

I have tried different settings to try to make the audio a little better, which I hit on a combination that works great. I turn on the LPF for the TX audio, set the switch on the back of the mike to the second setting, mic gain at 65, and I also use the compressor at about 20. Doing this, I have been asked if I am using one of the Heil handi- mikes. I dont know if it makes that much of a difference, but I know that it has helped greatly. I have never been told that the audio is terrible or anything I am just one to try to make it better.

I have been using the radio with an MFJ-1668 manual screwdriver antenna which is the ultimate, cheap antenna on the market. Using this setup I have used the radio to work all states on 75m 5X over. I have also worked some DX using this setup on 80m CW; I have worked VK, ZL, and XE on 80m CW. My first contact with the radio was Greenland on 20m.

I have now moved the radio inside. I am using the radio with a 180 doublet for all bands. I am mostly on 75m & 40m so this is a great antenna to use for those bands. I had some troubles getting on the air because I had 30db over S9 noise. I found the problem so now I am able to get on. The problem was the switching supply for my TV, which I had to completely unplug the TV to get rid of the noise. Now that I am able to get on the air, I have put the radio through its paces. I have also found that with the right settings it does fairly well on 75m AM, which I have found to be very rare indeed with a low level modulated radio. The critics on 75m AM said that it sounded pretty good. It does not have enough power for serious 75m AM, but enough to make close in contact.

I am planning on getting the FT897 now, since the FT857 has been so good to me. Fairly soon I plan on buying the narrow filters for the radio and see how it performs. Right now I have no problems pulling out weak signals on 20m through mega-watt station splatter that always seems to happen on 20m. I do want to see how it would perform on 40m since the BCI is an issue, and has been an issue with every radio that I have ever owned

If you want a radio that will do it all, and with just a little tweaking will do it better than radios that cost 3X as much, buy the Yaesu FT857D.

I gave the radio a rating of 5 because it is a very good radio for the price and continues to amaze me.

John, KC8NTP, east central Nevada

K0ZL Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2007 04:05 Send this review to a friend
Speaker problems.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me say that after having several 857s through the shop, I am greatly impressed with this little rig! It more than makes up for the FT-100 V/U output transistor disaster.

If you have one with a scratchy internal speaker, DON'T order the one from Yaesu. We did, and the one they sent us was worse than what was in the rig.

Use instead the Digikey 668-1120ND at about $4.95 each; they fit exactly (57mm dia) and have a slightly larger magnet. These should also fit other rigs such as the TS-50 and larger V/U radios.

The speaker is easy to change:

Unplug the rig.
Take the top cover off and unplug the speaker from the main unit.
Undo the two speaker bracket screws from the panel, peel back the foam thingie and remove the speaker and wireset.
Unsolder wireset from old speaker, wire in the new one, reverse the process. Enjoy non-scratchy audio!

W4RIG Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2007 17:59 Send this review to a friend
An Outstanding Piece of Top Quality Radio Equipment  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my FT-857-D for more than 8 months, and have been very pleased with its performance and versatility. I generally run off a solar powered marine battery with various wire antennas - G5RV and variants. It works very well with the recommended Yaesu Auto-Tuner. PSK31 at low power works great, and the 100 watt output does fine on SSB. This is truly and all-band transceiver - fixed or mobile operation.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2007 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Updated review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning this radio for almost a year, I feel like I just now REALLY got to know the rig in the last week. It had been in my vehicle since day one and has done a jam up job, I had felt from day one that it was a better mobile that a lot on the market including the 706MKIIG which I ran for several years,

In the last weeks the new radio fever took hold of me and I got rid of my main rig (IC-756) to finance something new and there was a week between the old leaving and the new one getting in, so I decided to pull the 857 out to use in the meantime. WOW I had no idea just how nice a radio this was. AA1BW was dead on in his review, it's not a rig where you just turn knobs, you have to go in and out of the menus, hit the IPO and other times the ATT, I haven't yet gone into the hidden menus but that sounds like a good idea.

To give you an idea of just how capable this rig is, I worked the CQWW this weekend, no cw filters at all, I was as comfortable in the fray as I would have been with the crystal filters in the 756. The posters who have said the DSP doesn't work on this rig should try turning it ON!!! A couple of times I turned off the DBF just the see what was happening and it was utter madness, one push and nothing but one signal, i was constantly moving from 240hz to 60 to 120, but it did the job and in a fine fashion.

Just a couple of hours before the contest I realized that N1MM's logger would be sorely amiss without an interface to the rig, a lot has been published about differnent ways to have CAT and linear keying being as how they are all on the same connector. When I first hooked up the 857 in the shack I dug out an Ameritron 857 cable that came with a used ARB-704 I had purchased years earlier, I was pleased to see that the cable used the 13v off the din connector and freed up a wall wart from my web of cables, so CAT via that route was not my first choice. Then I ran across some info on cat output from the mic connector, 2 3904 NPNs and a 3 resistors later N1MM was working FB and my homebrewed handswitch and Heil Goldline were working too. I even had enough time before the contest to make a few SSB QSO's and got rave reports with the Goldline mic.

AA1BW was also dead on about the solid 100w PA, I think this little rig drives my SB220 better than the icom, and on the cooling, during heavy runs in the contest I could not hardly even tell if the heatsink was warm.

Being able to work 2 meters with my local friends has been a blast as well as monitoring public service, I even listen to my favorite FM stations when nothing is on the bands,

There is only one problem with this rig as I see it now, how am I gonna pull it outta the shack? An 897 would be ideal. I could get used to having one of these around to dedicate to 6 meters and maybe 2SSB, I don't have an antenna to make judgements on 2 yet, but on 6 meters and down, this rig is a real radio! Don't just turn it on and spin the VFO to make your opinions of this one.

K4FX

AA1BW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the 857D for about 18 months now, and I also have the FT-817. Other rigs I have are the old FT-101ZD, TenTec Argosy.
This radio always performed well. No faults whatsoever. I use the LDG AT-11MP at my home. The rig is 100% used in my base station, as it eats up a small place on my desk.
I have installed the inrad SSB (2.1 Khz) and CW 300 Hz filters. They are a must for serious operators.
The CW filter makes a big difference on receive, however the SSB does not sound different from the stock filter. However, when the band becomes crowded, and intermod starts to appear, you see the difference.
Some people complain about receiver performance. Well, this is not an FT-9000, but if you now what you are doing, you can pretty much tailor your receiver according to your needs. here are my tips.
Always use RF-GAIN (not SQUELCH). Fell free to use the IPO, and ATT. In contest,, crowded bands you have to use it.
Dont be afraid to go into the hidden menu (A+B+C power up). Adjust HF1-HF2-HF3 RXG to your needs. If the band is very crowded, noisy, especially HF1-2 settings I lower with 3-7 points. If The band is open, quiet and I am looking for a far DX, I crank up (2-10 points) HF1-2-3 a little. (Please record the initial value, before you start changing it !!!)
In general I found, that by reduxing this value, the intermod and blocking (desensing) is drastically changing. Feel free to experiment with it. The effect is not exactly the same, as when you use IPO and ATT !!
On the TX side this little gem is putting out a solid 100W with very good cooling !
I use the 2.1 Khz filter for all my transmit !
Alltogether this little radio is capable of delivering extremely good result, but this can only be achieved by navigating through menus, setting values. This may be a little complicated (yes indeed it is complicated, and time consuming), but for this size, this price, you have to live with it.
I would consider this radio, not an entry level, as you need experience to play around with this settings.
73 !
Lajos

PY2ADR Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2007 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine 2 year ago. Not even a problem until now only good reports.
Using into mobile w/ ATAS 120 its amazing. Worked antartic stations, north america, europe, etc etc.
On base station you have to be use w/ small radios and many menus options.
And the fan works all the time.
Next week ill try it on maritime mobile operation.
73s

W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2007 03:36 Send this review to a friend
An amazing radio - it's an 857D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Oh yes; I forgot to mention that mine is the 857D model, offering immediate access to 60 meters, with channels pre-programmed. There's no need to snip a diode to "open it up" and no need to manually program the channels; they're all there, waiting for you to use.