Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 471 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

N2UGB Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2008 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can only add my own thumbs-up to the previous positive observations.

I find myself in a portable operating QTH that will be of several months duration. I had hoped my FT-817 would be adequate, but a short whip on a first-floor balcony is a distinct disadvantage when running QRP these days. While against my principals, I needed some QRO.

I couldn't afford an expensive rig and I wanted something small. I decided on the FT-857D for features and price. I run it at 50 watts to the same portable antenna and have had good reports. Having used the 817 for several years, I was familiar with buried menus. I still don't like them but as I run HF cw only, I don't take advantage of all the rig's menu functions. Very good receiver, very good cw characteristics. I jerked out the 500HZ cw filter from my 817 and popped it in the 857. Helps a lot. The DSP is a distinct advantage though I haven't had to use it frequently.

The 857D is a solid transceiver and will still fit in my carry-on case, though with no more room to spare.

I have not used the rig in modes other than cw, so I cannot comment on any other application. Also, I have only had the rig a couple weeks, so the time owned is very short. I want to make that clear.

However, I am, to date, quite pleased, and I expect the FT-857D will be the principal transceiver on my operating desk when I return home.

N0MUD Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Take a look at my July 11, 2007 entry and you will see my blog on the two Yaesu FT-857D's that I own. As I have said before I give both of my two FT-857D's a perfect ten. Yes one is in my pickup truck and the other in my camper. I use the one in my camper mainly for hunting season as I hunt alone and with less than perfect health I maintain contact with a ham friend in Colorado Springs, CO using the Colo Connection repeater system. Since I own two FT-857d's and one FT-897D I never have a problem with programming as they all program the same. I have never had any problems and have had no one tell me that they can't understand me and I only use the stock microphone. Like I've said in the past "you can't go wrong with this model" and go to your local Ham radio store and test one or if you have a friend go try theirs. You will be totally impressed and your gonna buy one, like I said before "Heckles buy two"..

73's and have fun with your brand new Yaesu FT-857D. Mike, N0mud

VA7DRM Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2008 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is great, this was my fist HF rig, and I have had an over all good experience with it.

Issues:
The select knob broke off at the encoder level,
Yeasu said that the would repair it but I would have to pay for shipping there and back... That would cost! So I called them about just getting the part. They said that it would cost $1.80 that was good enough for me! That was allot better then I had ever heard of Yeasu doing...
I have had allot of great qso's with this radio.
Even with the problems that it had I will still give it a 5 star mark.

Daniel KE7VLV and VA7DRM

KD8JDP Rating: 4/5 Aug 17, 2008 10:49 Send this review to a friend
New to Amateur myself so I wanted a rig that was all inclusive.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm a new DXer, just got my license. So I wanted a rig that was small, portiable, and packed a punch. So I read and read, I was between the 857d and the 897. Couldn't make my mind up. So what it came down to is I don't need the ability to put batteries in the radio, I mean if the power goes out we have gen / solar er power. Plus the 897 was bulky. Granted I'm sure it's a great radio but I wanted a small rig. I have it stored ready to go with us camping next weekend in a pelican dry box. I mean you pay 700 for something you want to make sure it's safe.

The only poor thing that I can say is that it is a very complex rig to rx/tx with. The menu is very hard to understand, small screen, and somewhat hard to follow instructions. Like I said I was looking for something small. I guess that's what you get when you combine size with as many options you can.

Overall I give my rig (FT-857d) a 4.5/5 ...

Catch you on the air !
KD8JDP

KB1PGH Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Great all in one radio for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The story is I had an Icom 718 and noticed that I wanted to get into 6 meters so I thought I would give the Ft 857 a try.I certainly did not need an atomic bomb to sink a ship as they say.I didn`t need or could afford a multi thousand dollar contest rig for my casual hf dxing.The only way that I could desribe this radio is that it is what it is and sometimes that`s a good thing.I can see how someone who wants a big desktop radio with doznes of buttons may not love this radio but for for the performance per the price the FT 857 is hard to beat.Of course the menu tree takes a bit to get used to and the display isn`t as big but it is what`s inside that counts.I have had absolutely no problems with this radio.I have had nothing but great comments on the audio and i`m being a little brave by running the modulation at 8 on ssb and running the processor at 70%.The dsp works good as well.It comes with a setting of 8 and that takes away a little too much audio but if you reduce the setting to 4 your all set.I would recommend an external speaker but the radio speaker is fine. as well.I bought the LDG analog meter and that works great.I still do find it quite amazing that they can fit all those features into such a small radio footprint.I am giving the FT 857 a 5 rating for the radios ability to serve a certain niche of operators such as myself who want an all band all mode simple rig that they can use both in the home and then take it mobile without a struggle.All I want is a radio that puts out a nice clean signal and radio that receives well without breaking the bank and with the FT 857 I get that.

N5YRJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2008 18:34 Send this review to a friend
D was an improvement over original version  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned the original 857 pre D model.

PROS
Colorful Display
Small & Compact
Relatively inexpensive
Good Receive
OK transmit

CONS
Small Font Display- 20/20 Vision must squint.
Must go into secondary menu to get max performance.
Will reset sometimes by itself. Wise to write secondary menu settings down right after you get it.
6 meter oscillation problems.

Now the D is new and improved. So hopefully Yaesu worked out the quirks...... 73'

KX5R Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2008 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
While the 857 does have limitations, I have to say that it has been a great performer for me. I've had one for several months now mounted in my truck, first with an Outbacker Perth and now with a screwdriver antenna. The Yaesu menu system is a necessary evil, given the size of the unit. I find it fairly easy to use once you spend a little time and learn it. These days there is extremely limited room in newer vehicles for added equipment. If you're like me and have to have 3 or 4 radios, cellular phone, multiple portable gadgets hanging around the cockpit for work, the 857 turns impossible into enjoyable. The menu system allows this radio to have full functionality despite size limitations. I'm curious where those who suggest it needs more buttons on the panel would put them. If you simply must have more buttons, you can put the optional remote mic on the unit and have a whole handfull of direct buttons. As for the audio, I find it superb, as do those with whom I communicate. I receive excellent audio compliments regularly! You must take the time to adjust the mike gain and processor settings for good audio. I find that the audio sounds best with the processor set around 12-15 and the mic gain around 30-35 on SSB. These are far from the default settings of 50. The receive audio is excellent and the size limitation of the internal speaker is obvious. I know of no mobile radio manufactured today, amateur or commercial, which doesn't need an external speaker to provide intelligible audio. I use my power/swr meter regularly, while driving, to tune my screwdriver antenna. While it is small, it is quite useful and adequate, even for a guy with tri-focals like me. For use as an S meter, it has limitations, but it still provides a good relative indication of signal strength. The button placement, which I hear many complaints about, is unique. Now, though, I find it very handy and easy to use without a second thought. Finally, if you are looking for a fixed station, get a Ft897. It's bigger, more buttons, same menu system, same electronics as 857, but better suited for fixed operation. For portable, get the FT817. It's smaller still than even the 857, less power, very similar menu system, but highly portable and excellent audio. It even works well mobile at 5 watts. I have them all and use them for different applications, which was clearly Yaesu's intention in building the three different units. If you try one, and learn to use it, you will find that it's a solid performer and quite user friendly.

KC5SEB Rating: 4/5 Aug 1, 2008 20:44 Send this review to a friend
Does what they say it will.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is not my favorite radio. If you read my review of the Ft-840 then you can guess why.
I can't walk away from this thing for more than 20 minutes without having to go back to the manual and get refreshed on what I forgot. I used to say that "if the Army wrote a manual on Brain Surgery I could get pretty could at it". Well not anymore!
The radio does what they say it will do but it takes some work to get it there so I only gave it a 4. Just tuning it up is a pain in the butt. Not to mention setting up some channels for VHF or UHF.
The radio seems a little week on Audio. The quality is good but I don't think even a drill sgt. could talk loud enough to drive this thing over 60 watts in SSB.
The Fan starts running just about as soon as you key up in digital and sound card modes but in such a small package that is to be expected.
When I want to get on the short waves for fun this is not the radio I go to. But if I am going to hump into a disaster area with only a back pack then I grab this radio because it is light and does it all. I have it matted to a Gamma research HPS 1-A power supply with TIgertronics Signalink and it makes for a light package. I can even run it on a string of 6 volt lanern batteries at reduced power.
This radio has been modified for MARS and it is a bit tricky if you don't use your soldering skills regularly so I had the MOD done by a surface mount tech and it works fine except that it wipes out the 60 meter channel presets. But that is a small price to pay.
IT does what is advertised but I just can't get used to finger fiddling this darn thing.

KG4RUL Rating: 3/5 Jul 29, 2008 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Adequate, but no more than that  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have an FT-857 as our EOC HF radio. The complexity of the menus is daunting for the casual user, as most of our ARES/RACES crew will be. The small display is tiring to look at. SWR and Power metering is barely usable. Adding an external speaker solves the problem of low audio output from the internal speaker.

M0VEY Rating: 1/5 Jul 29, 2008 04:31 Send this review to a friend
Jack of all trades, Master of None:  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I gave this radio 6 months before I decided to part with it due to its many issues. Compared to some of the competition this radio is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

If you want a small shack in a box, the Icom IC-706 MK11G takes some beating.
If you want a really good HF/6m mobile/portable/base radio, then Kenwoods TS480SAT/HX is the obvious choice & the radio I now use for mobile.

This radio scores 1 for its small size. Apart from that, I found the TX & RX audio had issues. On RX, if travelling at 60mph, the internal speaker was at best useless.

On Tx, reports were always less favourable than other equipment I have used. Even a Heil mike could not make things better. I've since noticed, most 857's have this same nasally sound.

Another real bad thing is always having to go in & out the menu system to adjust power, compression & everything. Why could there not be more buttons on the front of the radio?

The S-meter is no good either. The ability to give an accurate report is not possible for the 857.

I was at a loss to find that there was no screw to attach an earth to the chassis. Perhaps that's why so many people sound to have RF issues when using this radio. All in all a big dissapointment.

I'll be sticking with Kenwood & Icom in future. The latest range of Yaesus, such as the FT450, 950 etc are tacky offerings thbat are complex to set up & seem to often re-sell very quickly from new on the secondhand market. Discounts aplenty & no wonder why.

The 857D was not for me.