Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 440 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

K4FX Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2007 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Updated review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After owning this radio for almost a year, I feel like I just now REALLY got to know the rig in the last week. It had been in my vehicle since day one and has done a jam up job, I had felt from day one that it was a better mobile that a lot on the market including the 706MKIIG which I ran for several years,

In the last weeks the new radio fever took hold of me and I got rid of my main rig (IC-756) to finance something new and there was a week between the old leaving and the new one getting in, so I decided to pull the 857 out to use in the meantime. WOW I had no idea just how nice a radio this was. AA1BW was dead on in his review, it's not a rig where you just turn knobs, you have to go in and out of the menus, hit the IPO and other times the ATT, I haven't yet gone into the hidden menus but that sounds like a good idea.

To give you an idea of just how capable this rig is, I worked the CQWW this weekend, no cw filters at all, I was as comfortable in the fray as I would have been with the crystal filters in the 756. The posters who have said the DSP doesn't work on this rig should try turning it ON!!! A couple of times I turned off the DBF just the see what was happening and it was utter madness, one push and nothing but one signal, i was constantly moving from 240hz to 60 to 120, but it did the job and in a fine fashion.

Just a couple of hours before the contest I realized that N1MM's logger would be sorely amiss without an interface to the rig, a lot has been published about differnent ways to have CAT and linear keying being as how they are all on the same connector. When I first hooked up the 857 in the shack I dug out an Ameritron 857 cable that came with a used ARB-704 I had purchased years earlier, I was pleased to see that the cable used the 13v off the din connector and freed up a wall wart from my web of cables, so CAT via that route was not my first choice. Then I ran across some info on cat output from the mic connector, 2 3904 NPNs and a 3 resistors later N1MM was working FB and my homebrewed handswitch and Heil Goldline were working too. I even had enough time before the contest to make a few SSB QSO's and got rave reports with the Goldline mic.

AA1BW was also dead on about the solid 100w PA, I think this little rig drives my SB220 better than the icom, and on the cooling, during heavy runs in the contest I could not hardly even tell if the heatsink was warm.

Being able to work 2 meters with my local friends has been a blast as well as monitoring public service, I even listen to my favorite FM stations when nothing is on the bands,

There is only one problem with this rig as I see it now, how am I gonna pull it outta the shack? An 897 would be ideal. I could get used to having one of these around to dedicate to 6 meters and maybe 2SSB, I don't have an antenna to make judgements on 2 yet, but on 6 meters and down, this rig is a real radio! Don't just turn it on and spin the VFO to make your opinions of this one.

K4FX

AA1BW Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2007 01:32 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own the 857D for about 18 months now, and I also have the FT-817. Other rigs I have are the old FT-101ZD, TenTec Argosy.
This radio always performed well. No faults whatsoever. I use the LDG AT-11MP at my home. The rig is 100% used in my base station, as it eats up a small place on my desk.
I have installed the inrad SSB (2.1 Khz) and CW 300 Hz filters. They are a must for serious operators.
The CW filter makes a big difference on receive, however the SSB does not sound different from the stock filter. However, when the band becomes crowded, and intermod starts to appear, you see the difference.
Some people complain about receiver performance. Well, this is not an FT-9000, but if you now what you are doing, you can pretty much tailor your receiver according to your needs. here are my tips.
Always use RF-GAIN (not SQUELCH). Fell free to use the IPO, and ATT. In contest,, crowded bands you have to use it.
Dont be afraid to go into the hidden menu (A+B+C power up). Adjust HF1-HF2-HF3 RXG to your needs. If the band is very crowded, noisy, especially HF1-2 settings I lower with 3-7 points. If The band is open, quiet and I am looking for a far DX, I crank up (2-10 points) HF1-2-3 a little. (Please record the initial value, before you start changing it !!!)
In general I found, that by reduxing this value, the intermod and blocking (desensing) is drastically changing. Feel free to experiment with it. The effect is not exactly the same, as when you use IPO and ATT !!
On the TX side this little gem is putting out a solid 100W with very good cooling !
I use the 2.1 Khz filter for all my transmit !
Alltogether this little radio is capable of delivering extremely good result, but this can only be achieved by navigating through menus, setting values. This may be a little complicated (yes indeed it is complicated, and time consuming), but for this size, this price, you have to live with it.
I would consider this radio, not an entry level, as you need experience to play around with this settings.
73 !
Lajos

PY2ADR Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2007 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Very good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got mine 2 year ago. Not even a problem until now only good reports.
Using into mobile w/ ATAS 120 itīs amazing. Worked antartic stations, north america, europe, etc etc.
On base station you have to be use w/ small radios and many menus options.
And the fan works all the time.
Next week iīll try it on maritime mobile operation.
73īs

W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2007 03:36 Send this review to a friend
An amazing radio - it's an 857D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Oh yes; I forgot to mention that mine is the 857D model, offering immediate access to 60 meters, with channels pre-programmed. There's no need to snip a diode to "open it up" and no need to manually program the channels; they're all there, waiting for you to use.

W7MJM Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2007 03:25 Send this review to a friend
An amazing radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed one in my car. I'm only beginning to explore all it can do, but so far, I'm very favorably impressed.

I used it on 17 and 40 meters SSB yesterday, with excellent results on receive and transmit.

The noise blanker is very effective; though my diesel car produces very little RFI, noise from a nearby source was completely eliminated, with no noticeable distortion of the desired signal.

The AF DSP (noise reduction, automatic notch filter AND adjustable bandpass filter) made listening a pleasure. Unlike other AF DSP I've used, the desired signal sounded clean and natural, while the noise and interference practically disappeared.

Reports on my transmitted signal were uniformly excellent.

I really like this rig and I've barely scratched the surface. Reading the manual, I was amazed to find out that, on VHF/UHF, it supports satellite use with its crossband capabilities. I can't wait to experiment with that.

All this and it's so darned cute. Even the XYL likes it!

KD6WAG Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2007 22:10 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of equipment.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the first piece of HF equipment I've ever owned. I can't compare it to anything else i've owned, but I can compare it to an ICOM 706 MkII G that I've personally used in the field.

The radio is VERY simple to operate. It's not confusing at all. It basically has 3 toggles for the various DSP filters which are standard with the radio. They are nice to toggle on/off for distant signals.

I really like the fact that if I set the mic gain on SSB, it won't affect the mic gain for FM. This is a feature that the 706 MKII G doesn't have.

I like the display even though it's small. Unlike the 706 which has a larger display. The 857d overall is much smaller and runs cooler than a 706. The 857d is better suited for portable work.

The 857d has 60 meters, wheras the 706 does not. Of course one can pay extra to find someone that will "open up" a 706 to allow one to transmit on 60meter. But, why spend more money on doing that when you can buy the 857d with 60m at a less expensive price?

The 857d has DSP filtering, the 706's DO NOT!

I like the DSP filters, but I wish they were a little bit better. I'm going to buy the collins SSB filter for extra noise elimination, but agian, that will cost some more money.

The sound volume and quality of the 857d is excellent. I don't see why anyone would complain about the sound. For an internal speaker, it runs pretty good.

The menu driven CPU is terrific. At first I thought I wouldn't like that feature. Now, I'm sold. It's easy to use and offers many many features for your HF enjoyment.

It's a pleasant radio and I'd recommend it to anyone just getting started, to "old school" HAMS.

N8LTD Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2007 11:38 Send this review to a friend
You couldn't get more for $700.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
At first I was leery of getting this one because of the tiny display that doesn't show much info. But money is tight and I wanted HF, 6, and 2 meters in all modes(i like to work 2m SSB). So far I've used it on 40, 20, 10, 6, 2 FM and SSB, and 70cm FM. It's a great little performer. The DSP helps on phone, but it's no miracle. It is much more effective on CW. The general coverage receive is nice. I like to listen to distant AM radio stations-it's good for that with HF antennas. On a few occasions I've used it mobile. The seperation kit makes going mobile easier. The front panel is on the dash and main unit on the passenger floor. 200 memories is more than I'll need. Alpha numerics is golden-don't have to remember what repeater that is or what net is on that HF freq. The built in speaker sounds crummy, but an external speaker or headphones is always a better option on just about any radio. One disadvantage is you have to go into a menu to do just about anything. But I know it's necessary on a radio this small because there's not enough space for many buttons. But it's a good thing in the fact you can have multiple settings. Your RF power can be different for HF, 6, 2, and 440. You can set the mic gain for FM and SSB seperately. When I bought mine, it came with the seperation cable free-for $700 you can't beat that. It's a poor man's do-it-all rig.

KC9IMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Where has this been all my (mobile) life?!?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My YL took my FT-7800R for her car, and I wanted HF in my car anyway. I already own it's 897D big brother (which I still love, by the way) so there was no question I was purchasing this rig.

The body of the radio is securely mounted in the trunk of my car with the remote head in the cabin. I traded a half wave 2m / 70cm dual band antenna to a friend for his ATAS-100 which he wasn't using any more... This rig is absolutely phenomenal!

The face is easy to use, and even easier if you're used to Yaesu HF rigs. The ATAS is arguably one of the best parts of this mobile rig. Drive around, listen to 20m... Come to a stop light, tune to 40m, drive around some more. Absolutely amazing!!!

This space isn't enough room to state how much I love this radio. Too bad 5 is the highest rating I can give it!

ZS2VJJ Rating: 2/5 Oct 13, 2007 12:56 Send this review to a friend
A toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had before IC706MKII and now I feel very sorry that I have sold it. I am disappointed with FT857D. It looks cute and that is all. The worst thing is an extremely low "talking power". With maximum microphone amplification and processing levels it produces only 25-28 W on SWR meter, when under the same condition my oldest IC751A deliver 70-75 W. On air IC751A always provides 2-3 points better report.

EI5GSB Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2007 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this is a fantastic radio for the money, its no ft1000 mk5 but it does all you need and is as tough as old boots. Ive used mine base, mobile and portable.
EI5GSB