Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 439 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

N2WSC Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 02:21 Send this review to a friend
great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really can't add more comments when it comes to the positive remarks, it's just a great little radio. the floor noise is very low and I sometimes
have to switch off the nb cause it's too quiet when there's no activity . when it comes to customer service in California , you can not beat them ! they stand behind their products with very fair pricing.

KP4MLF Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 15:42 Send this review to a friend
The Best Mobile HF ever!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is the best HF for the money, maybe the menu's are a littlebit hidden but the performance of the radio and all toys that come for him make it special

VK4FLYS Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Super Size Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its a Swiss knife that talks.

It does it all with power to boot.

Can't wait to upgrade my licence.

Worth every penny.

Ps- get the ATAS-120A to match it.

DL4NO Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:46 Send this review to a friend
First Choice For A Mobile Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amazing rig in my car for some 150.000 km. Still works great and never let me down. OK, at -20C the display does not show anything. Just wait a few minutes until the heating comes up.

One important point I not found mentioned here: Output power will certainly suffer from low supply voltages. But the RX is OK till below 10.0 V. Good to know if you wish to operate this rig from a battery.

This does not apply if you attach an ATAS 120: To tune in one direction this antenna needs at least 12 V. At 8 V the ATAS tunes in the other direction.

May be that a few rigs are more sensitive on 2m and 70cm.

What should Yaesu add to the successor? I would like RX antenna diversity for 2m/70cm FM. And a separate RX antenna connector for HF.

HF mobile antennas are terribly narrow. An active radio antenna could give you (and the noise blanker!) a wide-band signal: To jump from band to band before you switch your TX antenna - or to just listen to some broadcast station. For the latter Yaesu could also improve the RX fidelity.

G4SGX Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2013 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Feature Packed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one for mobile HF and VHF.
I own a K3 at home so unfair to compare performance wise but I was struck by the higher noise floor, though it seemed quite sensitive.
Will be buying a cw filter as the front end seems easily overloaded, or at least there is some AGC pumping but as I say bit of an unfair comparison.
Overall I'm very happy with its performance and think its excellent value for money, (especially if bought second hand)

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
A little beauty!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a great little radio. Once used to the settings, it has performed in my 4x4 with excellent results. Worked the world and local on HF and a small change from my usual 2m frequency to what ever is around works great. Matched with the Tarheel II for HF and another for VHF/UHF and it's been an absolute beauty. On it's gooseneck, it's unobtrusive and fits alongside without any room taken away from driving safely.

EC4KW Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2013 12:30 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT FOR MY NEEDS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these radios, the first one sold it to buy a new brand IC-7000 (bad idea), after 6 months sold it to buy another FT-857.

I think is a very usefull radio, compact, easy to use, and with lot of famous Yaesu functions known by most people.

In hf bands works really fine, but if you want to work vhf and uhf, you must buy the TCXO-9 temp. oscillator, and RETUNE it with its own trimmer.

For mobile, portable operations or for radio shack will work flawlessly

NZ0T Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2013 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Neat little rig after mods  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a used FT-857D that is in excellent shape. It worked great in all respects except for muddy SSB audio and an ever-present high pitched backgound noise that was present on SSB TX audio even with the mic unplugged. Thanks to the Yahoo FT-857 group I discovered a mod published on Mods.dk that addressed the issue. It was a simple jumper soldered between the DSP gound and the main board ground. Once done the background noise disappeared. I found SSB TX audio to be excellent with my Heil HM-10 mice but still muddy with the Yaesu hand mic no matter what combination of settings I tried. I finally replaced the Yaesu element with a Heil HC-4 element I had and now audio is excellent with the hand mic.

Other than the audio problem I have found the 857D to be an excellent all mode and (nearly) all frequency rig in a very small package. The menus are easy to use with a little practice. No, it's nowhere near the level of my K3 nor would I expect it to be but for what it's designed for it's a great rig.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 00:46 Send this review to a friend
A fun to use radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had a lot of Yaesu's big box radios then downsizing to a FT-857D brings a lot of fun into the game. With a elite/flagship radio you expect it to bring out any marginal contact and work any station you can hear.

When you go back to a simple radio, using a more basic DSP and filtering system you are more excited and shocked when you get the right combination of settings and manage to bring those weak signals out of the noise and work them!

I am using my FT-857D in a base environment. I have an MLS-200 speaker, MD-200 microphone, Vibroplex key and FTL Meter. Powered by a FP-1030A, the radio is a delight to use.

The menu system (to me at least) is intuitive and easy to navigate. I find it no harder or easier to use than a big box machine. Probably why Yaesu are still producing it - people want them.

When you think how much radio you are getting for a comparatively low price, it really takes some beating. Having downsized, I don't worry about my investment depreciating in value, I can move it around without the back ache, I am not worried about a lightening strike destroying it and I just get on with making HF contacts, lots of contacts!

I have YouTube videos of me comparing the FT-857D with an Elecraft KX3, FT-950, FT-817 and a Yaesu FTDX-5000MP (search my callsign on YouTube/Google). The videos are non-scientific and very tongue-in-cheek but you at least can hear the difference between modern HF radios is smaller than you would think.

WB0UWG Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Cant imagine being without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine for about 6 years. When I first got it the menus and programming seemed overwhelming, but with a little reading it gets better. I use HRD at home and program the memories for 144/432 with shareware software. I use it with a signalink USB for JT65 and psk. I cant believe the flexibility of this radio. I can move it from the car to the house in a few minutes. Like another ham said, if mine ever fails I would order another in a heartbeat.