Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 442 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

GI0ZGB Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2013 10:49 Send this review to a friend
Bid Surprise Small Package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was offered a little used FT-857D at good price, and despite never liking the look of the rig I decided it was too good an offer to refuse. The MH-31 had succumbed to the China mic element disease where the impedance had so drastically changed there was no TX audio. This is a good time to convert the MH-31 into an electret mic which blows the factory offering away. However, I bought an MH-59A8J Remote Control Mic which, being built in Japan was a different class of build quality compared to China!
But, unless the rig is well grounded in both mobile and shack use, it suffers badly from RF feedback. Once grounded I could set the mic gain at 100% with no feedback whatsoever. There are internal mic mods using a toroid core on the mic lead which clean things up and well worth doing.
Anyway, TX audio reports were were good and sounded excellent on my receiver being crisp and clear. It takes a while getting the menu system into your head, after that operating is easy, but not a few people seem to have problems that are related to not being familiar with the menu items, where taking time to have an RTFM session would have solved many of the issues. Like all multi band rigs the front end performance is, not surprisingly, lacking compared to dedicated HF rigs, but gives a pretty good account of itself overall. Received audio via the built in speaker is not bad, better into and external unit. The DSP worked better than I expected, reducing unwanted noise without sounding like a fish tank. In conclusion, I was well pleased with the performance and the bells and whistles, it's a little rig that puts a big smile on your face!

KD8MJR Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2013 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Devolpes Lines Expensive to Fix  Time owned: more than 12 months
Worked great for a few years but then the display suddeny started to get a faint line. That got worst over time and more lines developed until a few months later it was unusable.

What was the shocker was Yaesu saying it's $300-$400 to repair/replace the lCD, are they kidding!
I might as well replace the unit at that price.

The 857D was great in that it's like the swiss army knife of radios but unfortunetly like a Swiss Army knife it really does not do anything really well. The HF Receiver was pretty Deaf compared to my full sized rigs and the menu system was frustrating. If your 857d developes lines sell it fast, if you buy one that has lines I can assure you the problem will most likely gets worst and worst by the month and no one has yet been able to fix the problem DIY style because the LCD itself is failing at its own internal solder points. So I now have a $800 brick that I can either fix for 50% of it's value or I can unload it on ebay.

KJ4DKT Rating: 2/5 Sep 17, 2013 21:17 Send this review to a friend
PROBLEMS  Time owned: more than 12 months
Both of my late model 857d radios suddenly developed squelch and lines in the display problems. My 897d so far, is ok. When they work they are good. When they dont, Im pissed. I believe Yaesu is having QC problems. My 450d and 950 are working fine.

N2WSC Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2013 02:21 Send this review to a friend
great little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really can't add more comments when it comes to the positive remarks, it's just a great little radio. the floor noise is very low and I sometimes
have to switch off the nb cause it's too quiet when there's no activity . when it comes to customer service in California , you can not beat them ! they stand behind their products with very fair pricing.

KP4MLF Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2013 15:42 Send this review to a friend
The Best Mobile HF ever!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is the best HF for the money, maybe the menu's are a littlebit hidden but the performance of the radio and all toys that come for him make it special

VK4FLYS Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Super Size Me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Its a Swiss knife that talks.

It does it all with power to boot.

Can't wait to upgrade my licence.

Worth every penny.

Ps- get the ATAS-120A to match it.

DL4NO Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:46 Send this review to a friend
First Choice For A Mobile Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amazing rig in my car for some 150.000 km. Still works great and never let me down. OK, at -20C the display does not show anything. Just wait a few minutes until the heating comes up.

One important point I not found mentioned here: Output power will certainly suffer from low supply voltages. But the RX is OK till below 10.0 V. Good to know if you wish to operate this rig from a battery.

This does not apply if you attach an ATAS 120: To tune in one direction this antenna needs at least 12 V. At 8 V the ATAS tunes in the other direction.

May be that a few rigs are more sensitive on 2m and 70cm.

What should Yaesu add to the successor? I would like RX antenna diversity for 2m/70cm FM. And a separate RX antenna connector for HF.

HF mobile antennas are terribly narrow. An active radio antenna could give you (and the noise blanker!) a wide-band signal: To jump from band to band before you switch your TX antenna - or to just listen to some broadcast station. For the latter Yaesu could also improve the RX fidelity.

G4SGX Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2013 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Feature Packed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one for mobile HF and VHF.
I own a K3 at home so unfair to compare performance wise but I was struck by the higher noise floor, though it seemed quite sensitive.
Will be buying a cw filter as the front end seems easily overloaded, or at least there is some AGC pumping but as I say bit of an unfair comparison.
Overall I'm very happy with its performance and think its excellent value for money, (especially if bought second hand)

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
A little beauty!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a great little radio. Once used to the settings, it has performed in my 4x4 with excellent results. Worked the world and local on HF and a small change from my usual 2m frequency to what ever is around works great. Matched with the Tarheel II for HF and another for VHF/UHF and it's been an absolute beauty. On it's gooseneck, it's unobtrusive and fits alongside without any room taken away from driving safely.

EC4KW Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2013 12:30 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT FOR MY NEEDS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these radios, the first one sold it to buy a new brand IC-7000 (bad idea), after 6 months sold it to buy another FT-857.

I think is a very usefull radio, compact, easy to use, and with lot of famous Yaesu functions known by most people.

In hf bands works really fine, but if you want to work vhf and uhf, you must buy the TCXO-9 temp. oscillator, and RETUNE it with its own trimmer.

For mobile, portable operations or for radio shack will work flawlessly