Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 441 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 00:46 Send this review to a friend
A fun to use radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had a lot of Yaesu's big box radios then downsizing to a FT-857D brings a lot of fun into the game. With a elite/flagship radio you expect it to bring out any marginal contact and work any station you can hear.

When you go back to a simple radio, using a more basic DSP and filtering system you are more excited and shocked when you get the right combination of settings and manage to bring those weak signals out of the noise and work them!

I am using my FT-857D in a base environment. I have an MLS-200 speaker, MD-200 microphone, Vibroplex key and FTL Meter. Powered by a FP-1030A, the radio is a delight to use.

The menu system (to me at least) is intuitive and easy to navigate. I find it no harder or easier to use than a big box machine. Probably why Yaesu are still producing it - people want them.

When you think how much radio you are getting for a comparatively low price, it really takes some beating. Having downsized, I don't worry about my investment depreciating in value, I can move it around without the back ache, I am not worried about a lightening strike destroying it and I just get on with making HF contacts, lots of contacts!

I have YouTube videos of me comparing the FT-857D with an Elecraft KX3, FT-950, FT-817 and a Yaesu FTDX-5000MP (search my callsign on YouTube/Google). The videos are non-scientific and very tongue-in-cheek but you at least can hear the difference between modern HF radios is smaller than you would think.

WB0UWG Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Cant imagine being without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine for about 6 years. When I first got it the menus and programming seemed overwhelming, but with a little reading it gets better. I use HRD at home and program the memories for 144/432 with shareware software. I use it with a signalink USB for JT65 and psk. I cant believe the flexibility of this radio. I can move it from the car to the house in a few minutes. Like another ham said, if mine ever fails I would order another in a heartbeat.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy this little radio. At first, I had it in my car. I had as good an HF antenna as I could get, but still could only contact hams a few hundred miles away. Proper grounding, etc., but no luck. I thought, why not use it as a base station radio? I'm poor and it seemed like a good idea. Not the best quality, but there is more in that radio than you can imagine. You just have to put up with the menu system. You NEED the programming software and to enter your frequencies that way. If you do it manually, you will crash before you get your finger on the button. It's just too darn hard to dig into all the menus to set the PL tone, turn it on, get the frequency, put it into memory, and label it. I need the manual and my notes to enter a frequency each time I have to change something manually. Trust me on this one. Get the programming software. It's really a small price to pay for this radio. It really does a lot in a little space, and hence, is good for the money. Just have patience with the menus. I read one review on this item where the guy was an experienced ham and owned every transceiver in the book, but he tore his hair out, lost it, and took it back to the store because he had trouble with the menus. I don't have all that much trouble now. Once you get used to what you need and don't need often, it will be OK. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a mobile rig and even a base rig. The frequency range is amazing! 160 M all the way up to 70 CM! (excepting 1.25 M, of course -- stupid, and why it's done by everyone, I'll never know; In Phoenix, for instance, the 220 band is big and there are quite a few repeaters you can hit from wherever you are in the Phoenix area, so it's not like it's a totally non-used band). In any case, I would highly recommend it.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Great all mode mobile radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nothing much to say. I have bought it second hand, mars mode and more power modes are applied. It's the a great all-mode mobile radio. I use it sometimes in my shack as a primer rig with LDG AT-200 tuner and sometimes mobile in my auto. Great rig. Great DNR and DNF. I would buy again.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Great All Purpose Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I write a lot of reviews because I change rigs frequently. This is my 3rd or 4th 857. As previously stated by others making function changes while mobile in motion takes getting used to and may be difficult for some folks. A TS-480 may be a better option depending on your ability but keep in mind the tremendous frequency coverage this rig provides. I am using one as my QRO home station rig and it sits next my KX3. Makes for a neat compact station. The menu is simple to master if you spend the time to utilize its various functions. For a compact reliable rig these little guys can't be beat.

MI3LVZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2013 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Superb portable rig..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A fantastic little rig for base,mobile or portable work. Stacks of features. DSP is a gem. Very nice to look at once you get over the modern radio style..I added the DTFM mic and the LDG meter which made the whole package even better.
Simply superb..

K0NHV Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over three years. I use it for mobile and fixed. If it breaks, I'll get another one and fix this one for a spare.

F5VDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Too good to sell  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FT857 for a couple of years and it has given me valiant service as a mobile rig. I decided to change to a Kenwood TS480HX (always wanted one) and sell the FT857. Well I can't do it. I am going to sell my FT450 instead as I prefer the FT857 to the FT450.

The FT857 is a great radio, super on receive and always good reports on the transmit audio. A bit of a pain to set up the menus, but once done, leave 'em alone.

W4ABF Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2013 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice little rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a lightly used 857D last year as a backup unit, with plans to eventually install in a vehicle. Yaesu outdid themselves with this one, packing a lot of features in a very small and reliable rig. You won't go wrong with this as a mobile, backup, or main rig. It's well built, sounds good, is easy to use (once you've read the manual) and is just plain fun. Digi modes work well also.

N2UGB Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Makes a good low-power rig too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about two years now and, so far, no issues. For an AF DSP, it is quite effective. Don't even use the cw filter I installed. I run mine at 5 to 10 watts CW with a 10 amp supply. I believe in low power so the small PS keeps me honest. I can see that the menus are cumbersome. But, I use the DSP most times and that is easily accessible, and no digi or ssb, so that poses no problem. Also a straight key most days so no keyer adjusts. It is heavy and doesn't get pushed around the desk as easily as most "QRP" transceivers. I do travel by air and the rig fits nicely in a Pelican case of correct size for overhead storage.

Guess I could say I am satisfied.