Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 446 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

DL4NO Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 06:46 Send this review to a friend
First Choice For A Mobile Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amazing rig in my car for some 150.000 km. Still works great and never let me down. OK, at -20C the display does not show anything. Just wait a few minutes until the heating comes up.

One important point I not found mentioned here: Output power will certainly suffer from low supply voltages. But the RX is OK till below 10.0 V. Good to know if you wish to operate this rig from a battery.

This does not apply if you attach an ATAS 120: To tune in one direction this antenna needs at least 12 V. At 8 V the ATAS tunes in the other direction.

May be that a few rigs are more sensitive on 2m and 70cm.

What should Yaesu add to the successor? I would like RX antenna diversity for 2m/70cm FM. And a separate RX antenna connector for HF.

HF mobile antennas are terribly narrow. An active radio antenna could give you (and the noise blanker!) a wide-band signal: To jump from band to band before you switch your TX antenna - or to just listen to some broadcast station. For the latter Yaesu could also improve the RX fidelity.

G4SGX Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2013 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Feature Packed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought one for mobile HF and VHF.
I own a K3 at home so unfair to compare performance wise but I was struck by the higher noise floor, though it seemed quite sensitive.
Will be buying a cw filter as the front end seems easily overloaded, or at least there is some AGC pumping but as I say bit of an unfair comparison.
Overall I'm very happy with its performance and think its excellent value for money, (especially if bought second hand)

VK2FSTU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2013 08:48 Send this review to a friend
A little beauty!  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a great little radio. Once used to the settings, it has performed in my 4x4 with excellent results. Worked the world and local on HF and a small change from my usual 2m frequency to what ever is around works great. Matched with the Tarheel II for HF and another for VHF/UHF and it's been an absolute beauty. On it's gooseneck, it's unobtrusive and fits alongside without any room taken away from driving safely.

EC4KW Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2013 12:30 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT FOR MY NEEDS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these radios, the first one sold it to buy a new brand IC-7000 (bad idea), after 6 months sold it to buy another FT-857.

I think is a very usefull radio, compact, easy to use, and with lot of famous Yaesu functions known by most people.

In hf bands works really fine, but if you want to work vhf and uhf, you must buy the TCXO-9 temp. oscillator, and RETUNE it with its own trimmer.

For mobile, portable operations or for radio shack will work flawlessly

NZ0T Rating: 4/5 May 7, 2013 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Neat little rig after mods  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a used FT-857D that is in excellent shape. It worked great in all respects except for muddy SSB audio and an ever-present high pitched backgound noise that was present on SSB TX audio even with the mic unplugged. Thanks to the Yahoo FT-857 group I discovered a mod published on Mods.dk that addressed the issue. It was a simple jumper soldered between the DSP gound and the main board ground. Once done the background noise disappeared. I found SSB TX audio to be excellent with my Heil HM-10 mice but still muddy with the Yaesu hand mic no matter what combination of settings I tried. I finally replaced the Yaesu element with a Heil HC-4 element I had and now audio is excellent with the hand mic.

Other than the audio problem I have found the 857D to be an excellent all mode and (nearly) all frequency rig in a very small package. The menus are easy to use with a little practice. No, it's nowhere near the level of my K3 nor would I expect it to be but for what it's designed for it's a great rig.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2013 00:46 Send this review to a friend
A fun to use radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had a lot of Yaesu's big box radios then downsizing to a FT-857D brings a lot of fun into the game. With a elite/flagship radio you expect it to bring out any marginal contact and work any station you can hear.

When you go back to a simple radio, using a more basic DSP and filtering system you are more excited and shocked when you get the right combination of settings and manage to bring those weak signals out of the noise and work them!

I am using my FT-857D in a base environment. I have an MLS-200 speaker, MD-200 microphone, Vibroplex key and FTL Meter. Powered by a FP-1030A, the radio is a delight to use.

The menu system (to me at least) is intuitive and easy to navigate. I find it no harder or easier to use than a big box machine. Probably why Yaesu are still producing it - people want them.

When you think how much radio you are getting for a comparatively low price, it really takes some beating. Having downsized, I don't worry about my investment depreciating in value, I can move it around without the back ache, I am not worried about a lightening strike destroying it and I just get on with making HF contacts, lots of contacts!

I have YouTube videos of me comparing the FT-857D with an Elecraft KX3, FT-950, FT-817 and a Yaesu FTDX-5000MP (search my callsign on YouTube/Google). The videos are non-scientific and very tongue-in-cheek but you at least can hear the difference between modern HF radios is smaller than you would think.

WB0UWG Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Cant imagine being without it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had mine for about 6 years. When I first got it the menus and programming seemed overwhelming, but with a little reading it gets better. I use HRD at home and program the memories for 144/432 with shareware software. I use it with a signalink USB for JT65 and psk. I cant believe the flexibility of this radio. I can move it from the car to the house in a few minutes. Like another ham said, if mine ever fails I would order another in a heartbeat.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2013 04:38 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really enjoy this little radio. At first, I had it in my car. I had as good an HF antenna as I could get, but still could only contact hams a few hundred miles away. Proper grounding, etc., but no luck. I thought, why not use it as a base station radio? I'm poor and it seemed like a good idea. Not the best quality, but there is more in that radio than you can imagine. You just have to put up with the menu system. You NEED the programming software and to enter your frequencies that way. If you do it manually, you will crash before you get your finger on the button. It's just too darn hard to dig into all the menus to set the PL tone, turn it on, get the frequency, put it into memory, and label it. I need the manual and my notes to enter a frequency each time I have to change something manually. Trust me on this one. Get the programming software. It's really a small price to pay for this radio. It really does a lot in a little space, and hence, is good for the money. Just have patience with the menus. I read one review on this item where the guy was an experienced ham and owned every transceiver in the book, but he tore his hair out, lost it, and took it back to the store because he had trouble with the menus. I don't have all that much trouble now. Once you get used to what you need and don't need often, it will be OK. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a mobile rig and even a base rig. The frequency range is amazing! 160 M all the way up to 70 CM! (excepting 1.25 M, of course -- stupid, and why it's done by everyone, I'll never know; In Phoenix, for instance, the 220 band is big and there are quite a few repeaters you can hit from wherever you are in the Phoenix area, so it's not like it's a totally non-used band). In any case, I would highly recommend it.

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2013 09:04 Send this review to a friend
Great all mode mobile radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Nothing much to say. I have bought it second hand, mars mode and more power modes are applied. It's the a great all-mode mobile radio. I use it sometimes in my shack as a primer rig with LDG AT-200 tuner and sometimes mobile in my auto. Great rig. Great DNR and DNF. I would buy again.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Great All Purpose Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I write a lot of reviews because I change rigs frequently. This is my 3rd or 4th 857. As previously stated by others making function changes while mobile in motion takes getting used to and may be difficult for some folks. A TS-480 may be a better option depending on your ability but keep in mind the tremendous frequency coverage this rig provides. I am using one as my QRO home station rig and it sits next my KX3. Makes for a neat compact station. The menu is simple to master if you spend the time to utilize its various functions. For a compact reliable rig these little guys can't be beat.