Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 440 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

N7BOO Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Reported FT-857 Noise Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must be one of the lucky ones that own Yaesu 857's. I purchased a early Ft-857 in 2003 and also purchased another FT-857D model in early 2012, both radios have performed flawlessly right up to the present day. I have heard that some owners have experienced the reported noise issue with their radios, however, in my case, both FT-857 models have never exhibited the noise problem. Although not an expert, there may have been a manufacturing window during which time this problem surfaced. If I have read all the reviews thoroughly, it appears that the defect begins to appear around 2007 thorough approximately 2009. Both of my Yaesu 857 models have been subject to varying temperatures, especially in hot climates as I live in Arizona where temps can get up to 100 + degrees, and in Wisconsin sub-zero temps, I have never experienced any display issues either. For a small foot print radio, with all the features and reasonably good performance, I would highly recommend this radio, it isn't a FT-5000, but its still a great little portable workhorse.

K4IRC Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Filter problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 2007 FT-857D from a local ham but because I had 2009 model I was using I didn't really check it out until I read about the noise problem. My 2009 857D does not have a noise problem. So the 2007 was put in service and it was really noisy even with a dummy load plugged into the HF antenna connector. I read and read all kinds of stuff about this problem and decided to order two filters from Yaesu. With postage the bill was about $5. OK, I'm 67 years old but I have a lot of PCB experience and a good temp-controled iron. I cut off the top of the filter and gently pulled the legs off through the top of the board carefully keeping heat on the bottom of the board pads. Used a bit of wick to clean things up, inserted the new filter and used only enough solder to make sure it flowed. The radio worked great after the filter was replaced. The Yaesu tech I spoke with before ordering the filters told me it was likely the 2007s have a filter problem. I'm not convinced the DC on the filter is the culprit. I think the earlier models just have defective filters. I suggest you don't attempt this replacement unless you have the skill and the right tools. I really felt great after I fixed the darn thing. The filters are so inexpensive I bought an extra for a spare.

M0EDY Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 04:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had the ft 857 for three years now
good dsp .
all the bands in something as small as a hardback book 100 watts on hf.
keep the screen out of the sun light high temperature cars and sub zero
temp and you will not get the bad pixels on screen.
very good on digimodes great for useing on holidays.
small and easy pack in case rig/psu/tuner/wireant and of you go

XV2PS Rating: 2/5 Nov 23, 2012 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Ok for general use but screen turned loosing pixels fast  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got that rig for several years. As a all in one (swiss knife), it makes about everything in a medium (but decent for the price) manner.
However as described in hereunder reviews, screen quickly went bad with full columns of pixels getting dead. They come and go, makes the screen sometimes hardly readable. So, I can't give it a 3 (=OK) as it is not OK.
Without that problem, I would have given a 4.5

VK3DMN Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2012 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently bought a new Yaesu FT-857D which I'd intended to use in my 4x4 but for the last few months it's instead been dragged all over the place being used for just about everything. It's been used as a Jambouree of the Air station, a Field Day station, a home station (into a vertical not a beam) and it's done a good job at just about everything (at least since I added the 2 optional filters). The only reasons I gave it a 4 not a 5 (and really it should be 4 and a half) are the tiny display and the need to dive into the menu to change commonly used settings.

LU7BSE Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2012 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It's a very small radius with a robust HF output.
INRAD was added the optional 455 kHz 2900 Hz 8-pole Collins SSB Filter, works well!
The TX audio with filter # 726 ESSB is really good!
Audio is injected into the mini dim rear giving excellent results. really sounds great!
You can use the MD 100 the result is good.

I recomindo,

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2012 10:55 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
RECEIVED MY 857D,YESTERDAY FROM AES. SINCE I HAVE ALREADY HAD THREE I DIDNT NEED THE MANUAL. GREAT ALL ROUND RADIO. USING IT FOR BACKUP. MY KENWOOD 450 HAS A SLIGHT PROBLEM- NOISE, STATIC OR LIGHTING CRASHES. NEED TO SHIP IT IN. RADIO CANT BE BEAT FOR ALL IT DOES AND THE PRICE. EASY TO USE AND DOES EVERYTHING FOR ME. HOPE TO KEEP THIS ONE!!!!

KD8EZU Rating: 2/5 Aug 11, 2012 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Beware the crackles !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio since late 2008 and it been VERY sparingly used and NEVER been is a car where one could expect vibration, heat, and cold to affect it. So, basically it was used for PSK-31 and oddly enough.., CW work. Two months ago I noticed what appeared to be static crash-like crackling on all bands except the VHF and UHF. I did not think anything of it as we are in summer and static crashes occur. It was however, strange to me at the time that my older boat anchors ( TS-830, TS-440S) were not having these same static crashes. I hardly used the FT-857D , so put it in the back of my mind.

This noise continued and the crackling would be as high as a 7 or 9 S units making the radio unusable. Beginning to get suspicious now, I one day ( while hearing crackling ) unplugged the antenna completely thinking that without an antenna, I'd hear no more crackling. To my amazement, the crackling remained as loud as ever. At this point, I knew there was something seriously wrong and did a simple Google search under " YAESU FT-857D CRACKLING NOISE" . I immediately got many posts (specific ) of this being a defect in the radio due to DC voltage going into one or more of the filters due to a lack of blocking capacitors in the circuit design. The components needed are inexpensive, but because of the SMD nature of them the LABOR to correct the problem IS expensive. Several hams affected by this say the problem is nothing more than piss poor design by Yaesu and that this condition normally will show up after 2+ years.

A ticking time bomb, courtesy of our good folks at Yaesu. Am I angry? You betcha, as I paid over $750 for mine ( 3 years ago) , have hardly used it , and NEVER had it in a mobile. Look back in this section of reviews and you'll see my initial glowing report on the FT-857D back then.

Would I recommend it? Well..... now that I've had to send mine off to Tim at Midwest Technical Services in South Dakota for repair .....NO! I would not recommend it for purchase, and warn all FT-857D owners to hope that their radio will escape this problem. What's most annoying is that Yaesu MUST be aware of this design flaw , but has not tried to make good on correcting it for those affected.

It they cannot engineer a simple and supposedly economical radio, with better design parameters, then they need to not sell them. Furthermore , it begs the question of their higher priced rigs. I have three vintage ( 1982 to 1999 ) boat anchors which I use alternately each week, and none have died on me. They'll be off frequency ( only by 1Hz) at times, and yes .., are old school, but they work and function exceedingly well for their age. To have a radio that is 3yrs old develop a problem like the FT-857D is simply awful.

So.., yeah , I initially loved my FT-857D, and the problem I have, may not happen to you, but PLEASE! do a Google search as listed above and then make a judgment on what I've said.

KD8EZU

IZ5RAQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2012 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this radio! I use it in hf mode SSb and CW. I use the FT 857D during the activation and like first radio in my QTH. I use an inverted v antenna hand made and with the great FT-857D and 100w i worked many countries all ove the world.
The FT-857D is a small dimansion radio but a big performance one!

73 de IZ5RAQ Fabrizio

K5NAA Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2012 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Love this rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had an Icom-7000 which I liked but sold it to get a Flex 3000. I sold it to a more tech savvy guy and bought the 857. I love this rig...simple to operate on any mode.