Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors
Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors Reviews: 445 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $769
Description: Yaesu HF/VHF/UHF Mobile Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-857 - all flavors.

K0NHV Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2013 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for over three years. I use it for mobile and fixed. If it breaks, I'll get another one and fix this one for a spare.

F5VDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 05:10 Send this review to a friend
Too good to sell  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my FT857 for a couple of years and it has given me valiant service as a mobile rig. I decided to change to a Kenwood TS480HX (always wanted one) and sell the FT857. Well I can't do it. I am going to sell my FT450 instead as I prefer the FT857 to the FT450.

The FT857 is a great radio, super on receive and always good reports on the transmit audio. A bit of a pain to set up the menus, but once done, leave 'em alone.

W4ABF Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2013 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Nice little rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased a lightly used 857D last year as a backup unit, with plans to eventually install in a vehicle. Yaesu outdid themselves with this one, packing a lot of features in a very small and reliable rig. You won't go wrong with this as a mobile, backup, or main rig. It's well built, sounds good, is easy to use (once you've read the manual) and is just plain fun. Digi modes work well also.

N2UGB Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2013 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Makes a good low-power rig too  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine about two years now and, so far, no issues. For an AF DSP, it is quite effective. Don't even use the cw filter I installed. I run mine at 5 to 10 watts CW with a 10 amp supply. I believe in low power so the small PS keeps me honest. I can see that the menus are cumbersome. But, I use the DSP most times and that is easily accessible, and no digi or ssb, so that poses no problem. Also a straight key most days so no keyer adjusts. It is heavy and doesn't get pushed around the desk as easily as most "QRP" transceivers. I do travel by air and the rig fits nicely in a Pelican case of correct size for overhead storage.

Guess I could say I am satisfied.

N2WSC Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 16:29 Send this review to a friend
excellent performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
it's working flawlessly except I made the mistake of running the 2 antennas from the two ports too closely and I messed up a diode for the fm squelch. whilst transmitting on any band/mode
the fans makes a bit of fan noise similar to a
hair blower but not so loud, but the radio stays cool always . that's the only issue I have with the 857. I got mine in 2007.
I recommend this radio and don't let the size fool ya.

N7BOO Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2012 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Reported FT-857 Noise Problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I must be one of the lucky ones that own Yaesu 857's. I purchased a early Ft-857 in 2003 and also purchased another FT-857D model in early 2012, both radios have performed flawlessly right up to the present day. I have heard that some owners have experienced the reported noise issue with their radios, however, in my case, both FT-857 models have never exhibited the noise problem. Although not an expert, there may have been a manufacturing window during which time this problem surfaced. If I have read all the reviews thoroughly, it appears that the defect begins to appear around 2007 thorough approximately 2009. Both of my Yaesu 857 models have been subject to varying temperatures, especially in hot climates as I live in Arizona where temps can get up to 100 + degrees, and in Wisconsin sub-zero temps, I have never experienced any display issues either. For a small foot print radio, with all the features and reasonably good performance, I would highly recommend this radio, it isn't a FT-5000, but its still a great little portable workhorse.

K4IRC Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Filter problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 2007 FT-857D from a local ham but because I had 2009 model I was using I didn't really check it out until I read about the noise problem. My 2009 857D does not have a noise problem. So the 2007 was put in service and it was really noisy even with a dummy load plugged into the HF antenna connector. I read and read all kinds of stuff about this problem and decided to order two filters from Yaesu. With postage the bill was about $5. OK, I'm 67 years old but I have a lot of PCB experience and a good temp-controled iron. I cut off the top of the filter and gently pulled the legs off through the top of the board carefully keeping heat on the bottom of the board pads. Used a bit of wick to clean things up, inserted the new filter and used only enough solder to make sure it flowed. The radio worked great after the filter was replaced. The Yaesu tech I spoke with before ordering the filters told me it was likely the 2007s have a filter problem. I'm not convinced the DC on the filter is the culprit. I think the earlier models just have defective filters. I suggest you don't attempt this replacement unless you have the skill and the right tools. I really felt great after I fixed the darn thing. The filters are so inexpensive I bought an extra for a spare.

M0EDY Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2012 04:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had the ft 857 for three years now
good dsp .
all the bands in something as small as a hardback book 100 watts on hf.
keep the screen out of the sun light high temperature cars and sub zero
temp and you will not get the bad pixels on screen.
very good on digimodes great for useing on holidays.
small and easy pack in case rig/psu/tuner/wireant and of you go

XV2PS Rating: 2/5 Nov 23, 2012 20:14 Send this review to a friend
Ok for general use but screen turned loosing pixels fast  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got that rig for several years. As a all in one (swiss knife), it makes about everything in a medium (but decent for the price) manner.
However as described in hereunder reviews, screen quickly went bad with full columns of pixels getting dead. They come and go, makes the screen sometimes hardly readable. So, I can't give it a 3 (=OK) as it is not OK.
Without that problem, I would have given a 4.5

VK3DMN Rating: 4/5 Oct 26, 2012 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I recently bought a new Yaesu FT-857D which I'd intended to use in my 4x4 but for the last few months it's instead been dragged all over the place being used for just about everything. It's been used as a Jambouree of the Air station, a Field Day station, a home station (into a vertical not a beam) and it's done a good job at just about everything (at least since I added the 2 optional filters). The only reasons I gave it a 4 not a 5 (and really it should be 4 and a half) are the tiny display and the need to dive into the menu to change commonly used settings.