Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Maldol MH-209SMA Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol MH-209SMA
Maldol MH-209SMA Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $23.95
Description: The Maldol Comet MH-209SMA Active Hunter is a tiny HT antenna for 2 meters and 440 MHz. It is 3 inches tall and is flexible. 0 dBi 1/4 wave. VSWR: 2.1 or less. Maximum power: 5 watts. Black color. This antenna terminates to an SMA.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=8&childID=0

You can write your own review of the Maldol MH-209SMA.

W9HQE Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2013 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two of these antennas one on a yaesu vx5r and one on a icom ic 91ad both times antenna worked MUCH better than stock I can bring in repeater farther out in both cases. One fine antenna. As far as cover coming off I found on the one I had on yaesu it came off and a friend told me it was because of sweat he glued it with something not sure what but it has not had same problem I have not had same problem on icom after much use so maybe it was a one time thing.

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 28, 2012 22:26 Send this review to a friend
works like a champ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the MH-209 BNC and it works like a champ on the Icom ID-31A on SL power getting into the DV-RPTR in the shack and the Local repeaters around even on SL power this is my 2nd one and lost it so it was a must replace antenna if you need a short antenna

K8LEA Rating: 2/5 May 18, 2012 01:43 Send this review to a friend
almost....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works like a bandit (primarily as a hi-band "scanner" on an FT-60), but after a couple years, the adhesive holding the cover to the body of the antenna fails, and the cover comes off.... I usually retrieve them, but NOTHING has ever worked to stick an old one back on.

Since there's really nothing else wrong at that point, another $30-ish for yet another antenna seems silly. (I've purchased at least four.)

They use a double-sided tape thing to attach the cover to the body, and apparently the plasticizer in the cover leaches out and kills the adhesive. I'm no adhesives maven, but nothing else I've found has worked.

(A note to HRO - most have come from them - was ignored.)

They work, IMHO, as advertised, but don't hold up in actual use for me....

(I've also used one of these on a VX-150, and a TH-F6A. Same results - works fine, but fails to keep it's cover on....)

N4PPG Rating: 3/5 Jul 25, 2011 20:03 Send this review to a friend
short, comfortable, but lossy  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
There is no free lunch. I bought this to replace the stock 6" antenna on my FT-250. There is approx 4-6 db loss over the stock antenna. I, do however, like the antenna for what its designed for...comfort and portability. No longer does the stocker stab me in the side, but no longer can I hit the fringe repeaters. Its a trade off...

W0TLP Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2011 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Good performance in compact package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put this antenna on a Wouxun UVD1P and get good signals into and from repeaters up to 5 or 8 miles in an urban environment. It performs surprisingly well for the small size.

The compact size and flexibility is great for being able to throw the radio in a brief case or daily carry bag.

Obviously no one should expect this to be a high-performance antenna capable of simplex or repeater QSOs at great distances, but for a discreet every-day-carry antenna on an HT it's pretty good.

KC7YCL Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2008 13:46 Send this review to a friend
Smaller AND Better Than stock VX-3R Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Who would have guessed it? This antenna is 1.5 inches SHORTER than the stock VX-3R antenna, but I get the same superior results over the stock antenna that N5CSU reports in an earlier review. On top of that, it's much more flexible for pocket use. This antenna is a keeper!

The only thing I don't like about it is that it's so flexible that the rubber coated covering used on the antenna has to be very soft to let it flex like that, so it's kind of a soft gummy and "sticky" rubber that doesn't slide in and out of my pocket quite so easily. I think the benefits of this antenna far outweight that minor deficiency though.

I haven't owned it for very long yet, but I suspect the softer rubber isn't as durable either, but I'm (usually) gentle on my stuff, so I'm sure I'll get years of use out of this.

Money well spent!

W3GFY Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2008 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Great for it's size  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you need a compact antenna for close range simplex or repeater use and don't need the performance of a longer antenna, this one works like a champ. Can't beat it if you need a compact or concealable antenna. Decent performance on both 2M/440 bands.

N8EKT Rating: 4/5 Jun 19, 2008 15:26 Send this review to a friend
VERY flexible!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Proof positive that bigger IS better.
Much improved performance over the shorter antennas.
This one actually works half decent on 2 meters.
440 is good.

N5CSU Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2007 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Surprising Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased both a Maldol MH-209SMA and a Comet SMA503 for use with my new Yaesu VX-3. The stock antenna is OK on the ham bands but dead most other bands.

I am on the fringe of my local repeater so ran a test with 4 antennas. Here are my completely subjective results of my signal as received through our 146.06/66 repeater:

19" whip: 80% quieting
stock antenna: 50% quieting
MH-209SMA: 40% quieting
SMA503: all noise!

On the weather band, I chose the Ft Worth weather station, about 35 miles west of here:

19" whip: 100% quieting
SMA503- 50% quieting
MH-209SMA: 45% quieting
stock antenna: all noise

All in all I am very happy with this MH-209SMA and disappointed with the SMA503. I understand this has a better wide coverage rcv at VHF and UHF so will give it a chance.
Rich N5CSU
Dallas TX

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2007 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Does exactly what she needs it to do  Time owned: more than 12 months
We bought this for my Wife to use on her HT when she has Hurricane duty at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC). Fortunately, the 70cm hub for the HEART linked repeater system is right on the roof of the building she works in. This antenna enables her to wear the HT on her belt under a lab coat and communicate using a speaker/mike clipped to her collar.