Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Maldol MH-209SMA Help

Reviews Summary for Maldol MH-209SMA
Maldol MH-209SMA Reviews: 37 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $23.95
Description: The Maldol Comet MH-209SMA Active Hunter is a tiny HT antenna for 2 meters and 440 MHz. It is 3 inches tall and is flexible. 0 dBi 1/4 wave. VSWR: 2.1 or less. Maximum power: 5 watts. Black color. This antenna terminates to an SMA.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/products.php?CatID=1&famID=8&childID=0

You can write your own review of the Maldol MH-209SMA.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2007 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Does exactly what she needs it to do  Time owned: more than 12 months
We bought this for my Wife to use on her HT when she has Hurricane duty at the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC). Fortunately, the 70cm hub for the HEART linked repeater system is right on the roof of the building she works in. This antenna enables her to wear the HT on her belt under a lab coat and communicate using a speaker/mike clipped to her collar.

HB9LEK Rating: 4/5 Oct 22, 2007 17:02 Send this review to a friend
not quite as good as the vx-5 original antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
satisfied with the performance looking at the size and the portability but definitely less signal on transmit and receive than the original rubber duckie of my vx-5. Only very little difference on 70cm but noticeable on 2m but still happy with the antenna as a more portable alternative antenna

KC5LNU Rating: 2/5 May 7, 2007 14:52 Send this review to a friend
I Agree  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I too tested this antenna on a VX-2R. The stock antenna is way better on VHF and UHF. Too bad, I like the little Maldol otherwise.

KA3SEI Rating: 3/5 Apr 8, 2007 06:54 Send this review to a friend
VX-2R...U...KIDDING ME!?!?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna based on the reviews of those who said that it is better than the stock duck on the VX2R. Are we using the same antenna? I guess this antenna does what it is meant to do: It gives you a compact flexible alternative to the usual 2M/440 HT antenna. But the only place it is better than the stock on the VX2R is on the weather band. In every other frequency band, I found the stock duck to perform better. If you are thinking of buying this antenna for the VX2R, I suggest you save your money.

WOODY123 Rating: 4/5 Nov 24, 2006 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Using with a scanner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the BNC version of the MH-209 to use with a Yeasu VR-120D handheld scanner. I like the small size and flexibility. This antenna works very well on the 2 meter ham band as advertised. For other frequencies, it works ok for a 3 inch antenna but not quite as good. I got it for primarily listening to Airband 118-128mhz. Airband reception is noticibly less than using the stock 7 inch duck antenna, but it is still useable. FM and 162.550mhz reception is also less. This is definitely not a wideband scanner antenna. I wouldn't recomend it for frequencies below 50mhz or above 500mhz. For UHF TV and frequencies over 500mhz, the Radio Shack 1.7 inch stubby Race scanner antenna works better. I use the MH-209 for my main antenna now, because of it's small size and flexibility.

LA4NMA Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2006 04:24 Send this review to a friend
Big performance in a small package  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received this antenna in the mail today, and mounted it on my VX-7R. It was smaller than expected, and very flexible.
I first tried tuning into the police frequencies and found it received the signals just fine. Then I took it with me out on the balcony and tried a 70cm repeater located some 8 miles away, and was surprised to hear I opened it. I called my buddy LA3QMA whom lives some 12 miles away over the repeater, and found I could carry a conversation just fine. He reported no hiss or noise, full quieting on the repeater. I would have never in a million years have thought this little antenna would carry the signal that far, but there was the proof.
So my review is nothing but glowing, great little antenna.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2006 12:58 Send this review to a friend
The best antenna of its size.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello all, I have been looking and looking for a good all around HT antenna for my Yaesu VX-2R. I couldnt decide so I bought several. I can say that the longer ones are best. This antenna performs better that the supplied VX-2R antenna. It is very flexable. You can replace the antenna that came with your HT and be satisfied with this one. You must understand that people say that they can hit repeaters 50 miles away. What they dont tell you is that the repeater is about 2000 feet up. Dont take that remark as a reliable indicator about an antenna. You use this one and judge for yourself based on your local observations. This antenna will not get in the way when its worn on the belt. I can place it in my shirt or pants pocket on my VX-2R without any problems. My 1 yr old son has chewed on this antenna without making a hole yet. You will be able to get into your local repeaters as with the other 10 inch antennas. The 10 inch antennas will carry the repeater a bit farther when mobile. I would babble on,however im sure you have already made your mind up. Take care and enjoy amateur radio.

KE7BZT Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2005 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Good for Its Size  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is by no means a heavy duty, 12" whip. But for it's small 3 inch size it does very well. I can pickup and hit repeaters and stations 20+ miles out. However, it is strictly 144/440. The stock on my VX-6R does pretty good at receiving other bands, including TV, FM, etc; my mobile SBB-02 picks them all up too, but the MH-209 does not reach out of the bands well. But that's okay. For a little antenna attached to a little radio, it makes for a great pocket or belt wearable rig.

PATRICK526 Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2005 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna performs better than the stock antenna of the VX-2R! I definitely got my money's worth with this one. It is now permanently attached to my VX-2R. Oh, did I mentioned that this antenna performs better than the MH-511? Surprising, but this is true based on my experience.

KB3BWF Rating: 2/5 May 10, 2005 06:04 Send this review to a friend
A stubby is what it is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the stubby so I could carry my vx-5 easier in NYC. It does work but the signal can be scratchy. A stubby it what it is and it just does't have the balls that the stocker does. I did a test in my living room with the MH-209, Diamond SRH-519, and the Stocker. I tested them with 6 repeaters. There was no contest. Where the Diamond and the Stocker could hit a repeater with 300mw, the MH-209 took between 1w to 2.5w just to key the repeater up. Make note that the Diamond SRH-519 works better then them all but can bend at the base if you jam it. I used shrink tube to fix that. I plan to use the MH-209 now and then but it is a compromise when it comes to performance.