Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets
MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets Reviews: 20 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $74.95
Description: Lets you power two HF and/or VHF transceivers and six or more accessories from you transceiver's main 12 VDC supply. Two pairs of super heavy duty 30 amp 5-way binding posts connect your transceivers. Each pair is fused and RF bypassed. Handles 35 Amps total. Six pairs of heavy duty, RF bypassed 5-way binding posts let you power your accessories. They handle 15 Amps total, are protected by a master fuse and have an ON/OFF switch with "ON" LED indicator. Built-in 0-25 VDC voltage. Six feet super heavy duty eight gauge color-coded cable with ring tongue terminals. Binding posts are spaced for standard dual banana plugs. Heavy Duty aluminum construction.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1118

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets.

N4UZZ Rating: 0/5 Aug 8, 2016 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Put birdies on 80m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Birdies on 80m making cw comms difficult. One was sitting right on a net frequency. I had a time tracking it down until I finally sniffed it out. This panel is going into the trash.

K9EGS Rating: 3/5 May 3, 2015 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Good, but needs a little work from the consumer.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the MFJ-1118 for about 2 years. Never had any problems with it until a few days ago. For some reason a fuse blew, not from a short circuit, but from an overload. As it turns out, the overload occurred because the fuse that was supposed to be protecting one of the 35 amp higher current outlets was only a 15 amp fuse and I put more than 15 amps on that circuit. The supposed correct fuse for that outlet, which was a 40 amp fuse, (wrong size anyway), was installed on the side protecting the 15 amp low current outlets. So in other words, the 40 amp fuse was swapped with the 15 amp fuse. The 40 amp fuse was protecting the 15 amp outlets and the 15 amp fuse was protecting the 35 amp outlets. Poor quality control and workmanship. Maybe the fuses were installed on a Monday morning after a rough weekend or just before quitting time on a Friday afternoon, hi, hi. It's a good thing that I did not have some sensitive equipment connected that could have been damaged due to this fuse swap situation. I went to Auto Zone and got all the right fuses, (3 of them), and installed them in their proper places.

One disadvantage of this unit is that one has to un-mount the unit, (mine is screwed to a board that is part of my shelving unit), and then open up the unit by unscrewing 4 screws on it so as to access the fuses. Not a big deal but worth mentioning.

Of course I have the same problem that many others have with the accuracy of the volt meter on the unit. While I had the unit open to replace the fuses I adjusted the trimmer that controls the volt meter. Not that big of a deal either, but why can't they take 1 or 2 minutes and set this meter correctly at the factory?

Now that I have corrected the fuse situation and tweaked the volt meter adjustment I anticipate that this should be a trouble free distribution panel for many years. It is a nice unit despite its initial flaws.

I guess another reviewer had it right when he said that once you make a few repairs on MFJ equipment yourself, it is a decent piece of equipment for the price. I have had other MFJ stuff that had little quirks, but once I cleared things up myself, (which was not that big of a deal), it is a decent piece of equipment for the price and works as it is supposed to.

WK4WK Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2013 04:19 Send this review to a friend
Overall OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received the MFJ-1118 from HRO. The item was packaged well. The panel was opened up and examined. Everything looked neatly soldered and assembled. This panel was installed to power two rigs and several small tuner lights and be powered from an Astron 50 amp supply which sits on the floor under the desk. The panel was installed on a wall behind the desk for easy access.
The meter appeared to read as accurately as it could be read based on its size. Prior to install I added a led light which was soldered in and sets behind the meter. The led adequately illuminated the meter. The panel will also allow the use of Banana plugs which works great for testing on projects and devices which need power temporarily.
My only issue I have is the location of the fuses. In the event you have to replace a fuse the panel would have to be un-mounted from the wall and opened for access. Overall itís proven to work ok.

WK4WK Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2013 04:18 Send this review to a friend
Overall OK  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

G4XCS Rating: 1/5 Mar 18, 2013 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Poor workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I decided it was time to tidy up the shack and sort out the DC distribution system. I discovered the MFJ-1118 and ordered it from Waters and Stanton in Hockley UK.

It appears to be well made and so it was connected to my PSU. Switched the PSU on and it immediately shut down. Thankfully it has an excellent protection circuit. Checked the red and black leads with my AVO 8 and it was short circuit.

Opening up the unit I discovered that the soldered positive connection prior to the fuse was touching the chassis. It required resoldering and as a precaution added some insulating material to the lid which covers the row of soldered connections. Even worse was that the 15A was actually 40A.

So MFJ, pretty poor workmanship, certainly no post production testing or quality control. All in all, very disappointed and will not be buying MFJ equipment in the future.

Neil G4XCS

ON4BHQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2010 13:11 Send this review to a friend
no complaints  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this powerbar in use for about 20 years now.
Never failed, it's online 24/24 h.
Never opened it, so I suppose the soldering inside is OK.
Voltage meter is accurate, did not to adjust it till now.
I own several MFJ products. It's simple, when it works on arrival, it stay to work. Otherwise.... fill in yourself...

Wim - ON4BHQ

PA3GOS Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2010 03:25 Send this review to a friend
No problems whatsoever.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this powerbar for a number of years now and never gave me a lick of a problem.
I did, however, open it once to install a lightbulb behind the meter. (There is none).
Found it well constructed and soldered.
While it was open I adjusted the voltmeter a tad. There is a potmeter to do this. Not that it was reading bad, just half a volt.
Anyway, I have two outlets on my homemade powersupply and use one for my TS-850 and the other one for the powerbar where everything else is connected to. No wire clutter anymore and it's easy to connect additional things to for testing or using.

Regards, Tjalling PA3GOS

VE3VGI Rating: 3/5 Oct 22, 2010 13:38 Send this review to a friend
poor quality control  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine arrived with the meter reading the wrong voltage 7 vdc instead of 13vdc.
The switching outlet was on regardless, of the power switch position.Took it apart and found the voltage adjustment pot defective. The power switch, was also defective and had solid wire soldered across the switch terminals?
On the plus side, I contacted MFJ and sent pictures.They did send me a new switch and pot.
I doubt I'll order anything from them, till the quality control improves.

K8MAS Rating: 0/5 Sep 19, 2008 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Junk - stay away  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a piece of junk. The meter is way off (about 4 volts low) and is not adjustable. I opened it up to get to the meter and found poorly soldered connections. I have always stayed away from MFJ stuff, but I made an exception on this and I regret it.

NI0C Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2008 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Serves the purpose  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I needed to get rid of the wall-wart clutter in my shack and have more DC power available. I purchased the MFJ-1118 to hook up to an Astron VS-35M 25A. power supply. This was my choice after carefully reading reviews of competing products with "powerpole" connectors, etc.

It is mounted out of sight, under the back of my operating desk. I inspected the insides carefully, and tested it with a DMM before hooking everything up. I like the idea of the switch controlled outlets for the lower current devices.

The binding posts give one a choice of terminations-- spade lugs, banana plugs, or simply tinned wire ends. I chose the latter for my accessories, cutting the wire ends very short. I'll use spade lugs for the high current terminations for a new HF rig that is on back order.

I don't have a problem with the fuse location-- it's not that hard to remove four screws in the rare event of a short circuit that would take out one of the fuses. I like knowing the fuses are there-- just in case.