Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets
MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $74.95
Description: Lets you power two HF and/or VHF transceivers and six or more accessories from you transceiver's main 12 VDC supply. Two pairs of super heavy duty 30 amp 5-way binding posts connect your transceivers. Each pair is fused and RF bypassed. Handles 35 Amps total. Six pairs of heavy duty, RF bypassed 5-way binding posts let you power your accessories. They handle 15 Amps total, are protected by a master fuse and have an ON/OFF switch with "ON" LED indicator. Built-in 0-25 VDC voltage. Six feet super heavy duty eight gauge color-coded cable with ring tongue terminals. Binding posts are spaced for standard dual banana plugs. Heavy Duty aluminum construction.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1118

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1118 Deluxe DC Outlets.

KY4Z Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2004 08:55 Send this review to a friend
Priced right, works OK in my application ...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my MFJ-1118 DC outlet panel for about a year now. Because I have a variety of 12 equipment, the binding post/banana jack-style DC outlet gave me lots of versatility without springing for PowerPole connectors, which aren't available locally.

It was a decent choice, given the hamfest price I paid for mine new.

Of course, like most owners, it wasn't long before a fuse blew when I momentarily shorted two of the 15A binding posts by accident. The fuse protecting that circuit is accessible only by taking the back of the unit off -- not a convenient thing to do when you have it mounted out of the way. Chassis mounted fuseholders would have been convenient. Beyond that, I don't have any complaints about it.

The meter gives the outlet strip a "deluxe" look, but I haven't found it that useful. If the DC-operated stuff works, the power is on, right? I'm sure there are applications where the meter is more useful than mine; heck, I can't even see the thing from my operating position anyway.

If I ever standardize my gear and 12v accessories with PowerPole connectors, I'll probably go with the MFJ PowerPole DC outlet.

In short, it does exactly what I wanted it to do (and I've learned to be more careful about shorting the 15A binding posts).

N2WP Rating: 2/5 Aug 9, 2004 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Not the best choice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Within one month of owning an MFJ I went to West Mountain boxes and Anderson power plugs and have never regreted it. The MFJ serves as a mere adapter box that doesn't get used. Standardize yourself on Anderson plugs and you'll be amazed at the flexibility and convenience. You can always use an adapter if you need to connect to any other obsolete forms of connectors.

KD7KGX Rating: 4/5 Oct 20, 2003 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Worked as expected  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the MFJ-1116 power strip and have used it in my shack for a couple of years.

It worked as expected, and I have had no problems with it. I had a fuse blow once (shorted banana plugs!), but it is in a fuse holder and was easy to change out.

In my opinion, the only problem with this unit is the type of connector, but at the time it was the only reasonable choice available so I give MFJ thumbs up for coming up with a neat idea. The RigRunner is an evolutionary improvement that benefits from a new invention (Powerpole) and gets rid of the shortcomings of these MFJ models.

I recently replaced it with a RigRunner 4008 because I really like the Anderson Powerpole connector... much better than banana plugs for power (less chance of them coming loose, and if they do no chance of them shorting out).

I am currently debating on whether to re-use my pristine -1116 for my battery charging station (I have a 3A power supply that I use to recharge all of my gel cells), or get a RigRunner 4005 and go completely over to Powerpoles.

I note that MFJ has recently come out with new powerstrip models that feature both Powerpoles and binding poles, for those who like both or who can't make up their mind.

In short, if you want banana jack/binding posts, the MFJ units work fine.

K9FTB Rating: 2/5 Jul 23, 2003 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased my 1118 at a discount from WB0W.COM and thought I was going to be satisfied. How could you screw up such a simple device anyway?
Well the meter was bouncing all over the place. I took it apart and alas alack - the negative meter lead wasn't even soldered - they didn't even try to solder it - it was laying on the return leg just barely touching it. Then, to top that off, the large red binding post started to "spin" when tighened - thanks MFJ. Took it apart again to resolve that issue.

As a previous reviewer said, he bought a Rigrunner and so did I. I still have the MFJ but the quality of the Rigrunner is far superior.

In fact I've tried various MFJ products and in almost 100% of the cases I either returned the unit or had to repair it. For that, we the amateur community, should bill them!! You'll be much happier with Rigrunner even though MFJ is cheaper - you sure can see the difference - you get what you pay for.

KQ4KK Rating: 3/5 Jul 2, 2003 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Binding Posts in 2003?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using the MFJ DC outlet boxes since 1990. Then I discovered RIGRUNNERs. Sold all my MFJ DC boxes at hamfests cheap. This is 2003, no more spark gap, no more binding posts!

KM5N Rating: 4/5 Apr 8, 2003 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Capable but uninspired  Time owned: more than 12 months
This PDU does everything you would expect it to do, so functionally it gets an "A." The only improvements I would ask for are slightly deeper receptacles on the accessory power plugs, so I could use banana plugs and not have exposed metal on the power cords, and some kind of wire management system to keep the inevitable tangle under better control.

On the plus side, I do like the ability to switch the accessories separately from the main radio power terminals.

On the whole, it's a nice unit, and about the only thing available in its class.

KC7UMB Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2003 00:50 Send this review to a friend
Works Just Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used my MFJ-1118 for 5+ years now and have never had a problem with it. The volt meter is a nice plus. This is a very usefull shack item.

W0FM Rating: 2/5 Feb 9, 2003 12:39 Send this review to a friend
What were they thinking?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the MJF-1118 Deluxe DC Outlet strip about 2 years ago and mounted it on the wall below my operating desk. It fed DC to one HF rig and numerous low current accessories. One day, all the accessories went dead, so I got out the MFJ manual and found that the fuses were only accessible by taking the strip off the wall (four screws) and disassembling the case (4 more screws). I would think that a device that utilizes wires wrapped around binding posts would be prone to an occasional accidental short which could result in a blown fuse. Therefore, it would seem that easily accessible fuse holders would be an obvious design choice.

I guess it was an effort on MFJ's part to keep the costs down, but I would have gladly paid a couple of bucks more for an external, chassis-mount fuse holder that would allow me to replace a fuse without having to take the whole box off the wall and disassembling it.

Oh well, I learned my lesson. I replaced the MFJ-1118 with a RIGrunner 4012. Now all my fuses are easily identified and easily accessible. And the Anderson Power Poles used by the RIGrunner lessen the chances for accidental shorts. I'm installing external fuse holders in my MFJ-1118 and demoting it to the garage workbench.

If you have the MFJ-1118 consider drilling out 3 holes in the chassis and installing 3 inexpensive, chassis-mount fuse holders in the box. Then, if you ever pop a fuse, you'll be glad you made the simple modification.

Terry, WFM