Reviews Categories | Ham radio kits | Vectronics VEC-1140K 40 meter receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Vectronics VEC-1140K 40 meter receiver
Vectronics VEC-1140K 40 meter receiver Reviews: 7 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Receiver kit primarially as match for QRP 40 meter CW transmitter. Receives SSB and AM too
More info: http://www.vectronics.com/vectronics/products.php?prodid=VEC-1140K

You can write your own review of the Vectronics VEC-1140K 40 meter receiver.

KG6QNK Rating: 4/5 Sep 3, 2010 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Worked Fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a good kit with decent performance, Quite sensitive. This is a Direct Conversion Receiver; therefore, if present it receives more than one signal at once. Usually only a concern in Pile ups. Audio Filter or IF Filter would solve selectivity issues if is a concern. Great for CW practice- length of wire direct to Antenna Jack and strung out most anywhere works fine for casual use (RCVR Only). There is accomadation for adjusting the amount of Band Segmant you wish to monitor, this also effects selectivity. My main tuning Capacitor had a crack in the plastic housing, don't know how it got there. At any rate I could not adjust the Band Segment Option quite as I wanted. I just wanted a small segment of the CW portion of the Band- everything else is interference as far as I'm concerned. I suspect cracked Capacitor housing had something to do with it. No Biggy, I would have installed Air Variable Capacitor, if was major concern. Come to think of it not bad idea for performance and in this case mechanical stabilty. I can't recall if I had to enlarge, modify, redrill the enclosure (Separate purchase). Small half round, Chain Saw, or Rat Tail file usually covers it- comes with the turf, Vectronics Kit Enclosures. Vectronic Makes QRP transmitter Kit that can be used with this Receiver No AGC and Blasting Side Tone; Kits did not integrate "Seamlessly" for me. I now prefer Transceiver Kits, as a direct result of this experience- generally Superhet with AGC. Still, all in all not a bad kit and good Building experience. As a Stand alone unit, good over-all performance Fun to build use and tinker with. I'd consider getting another one, maybe the 20m version. That leads me to the point that it only takes swapping a few component values to change Band of operation, As I Recall these component Values are printed on the schematic. Builder/ experimenter can have a lot of Fun with these. Install your own large Tuning Knob and place RCVR Close to Accurate Reading Digital RCVR to Calibrate your dial and what not.

KC9MSA Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2009 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Fun to build, not great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first kit to build, and they do not clearly explain in the instructions component identification for someone who has never built a kit before, but it wasn't bad.

However, the kit did not work when I built it. The instructions said to put a 680 cap, and the only one like it in the kit was a 68 cap, I figured it was a typo....fortunately I have a good elmer who was able to diag it and had a 680 cap on him, so it was all ok after we replaced that wrong part.

N3RIK Rating: 2/5 Mar 8, 2008 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Yikes!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built the 30 meter version. Its a no frills DC receiver - the receive is very wide - the strong points are that the cuircuit board isnt that bad and the instructions were clear..... The thing that kills this whole line of products is the poor quality enclosures and the long time periods waiting to get such enclosures. If you like making your own enclosure, this might be ok....if you want something that looks nice and is useable - I could not recommend this line of products.

W4UDX Rating: 0/5 Feb 28, 2004 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Vectronics / MFJ review revised  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I will let this email I just sent to Vectronics (MFJ) provide you with the details:

Dear Sirs,
Just a word to let you know that I am very dissatisfied with the service and quality of my purchased. First, It was taking a long time to receive my order. I sent emails to inquire of the hold-up, and they went unanswered. Finally when I sent an email to cancel my order, I was told that it had already shipped. Well, that was only partially true.
Only half of my order was shipped, the other half was back-ordered (but I was not informed and was not aware of the fact until my partial order arrived). I had to wait two more weeks for the other half of my order, and when it finally arrived, I could not believe what I saw. Instead of the nicely finished cabinet with the grey plastic self-adhesive front and rear panels (like the other one), I found a HORRIBLY PAINTED CABINET AND CHEAP PAPER FRONT PANELS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE MADE ON A LOW BUDGET LASER PRINTER!
I did not get what I paid for. And I am guessing that in order for MFJ TO MAKE IT RIGHT, I will probably be required to pay for return shipping for these inferior quality parts and wait another 2 weeks for some parts that match the first batch. This ugly stuff only belongs in a dumpster. Why should I have to pay shipping again?

I realize that my order was small potatoes compared to a high-end HF legal-limit amplifier. But if MFJ (Vectronics) can't get a small order right or send out poor quality kit cases, why in the world would I want to spend major dollars with your company?
Just letting your company know, if anybody there even cares.

Mark W4UDX

W4UDX Rating: 1/5 Feb 24, 2004 19:05 Send this review to a friend
Save your money for TT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought some Vectronics QRP receivers and transmitters, and after the poor (and extremely slow) service from MFJ (Vectronics) I wish I would have saved my money and bought one of the Ten-Tec QRP kits. The only improvement of the Vectronics kits to the Ramsey kits is metal cabinets - Ramsey uses plastic. The Vectronics receivers are dangerous to the ears... due to their very simple design, they have no AGC. If you are using headphones and have the RF gain up enough to hear moderately weak signals, DO NOT TUNE THE VFO! Doing so can cause severe ear pain if you come across a very strong broadcast station! I made this mistake and my ears rang for a week. They should put warning labels all over those rigs! A ham would be better off building a QRP CW transmitter kit and using an old Radio Shack (Sangean) general coverage receiver that has a BFO for SSB/CW. Not to mention the Sangean would also have a fairly accurate digital readout. Vectronics and Ramsey kits in my opinion are just not worth the money.

KD5OYH Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2003 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Great way to spend a couple hours  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I built the 1180 a few weeks ago. I made it cover the parts of the 80 and 75 meter bands. This makes is hard to tune stations, but with a little practice and an oversized knob, it can be learned. By setting jumpers and removing jumpers on the tuning cap you can select a range that will vary from 55kc up to 350 kc. By adding an additional tuning cap you can have rough and fine tuning. It comes with a big board so you can add lots of extras. fun.

K2PJT Rating: 3/5 Feb 9, 2003 15:06 Send this review to a friend
Drifty, but Nice for the price  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I built and tested this kit because my high school class would be assembling them during the next semester. The kit went together easily and worked the first time. On the positive side it is amazingly sensitive and I have listened to hams all over Europe, Canada, and the US. Occasionally, I have even heard some in South Africa and Australia. All this with an attic antenna just 25 feet long. Last summer I brought it with me on vacation in Utah and listened from inside motel rooms to hams all over the US. During August I tried it shipboard on an Alaskan cruise with similiar results. Except there I strung the 25 feet of wire along the upper deck hand rail. The audio is very soothing and pleasant so I also use it nightly as a sleep inducer. On the negetive side I find the drift and lack of selectivity annoying. Also, sometimes high power international short wave broadcasters come roaring in and can not be tuned out. If Vectronics could control the drift they would have a really nice product which would make feasible the addition of an external audio bandwidth filter. As is zero beating the AM stations is a very temporary and cumbersome fix. CW and SSB need to be adjusted too, just not as often.
23 of my students, 22 with no soldering experience, also built the receiver. All of the receivers eventually worked with a little help from me. At last check only a couple of the students actually listen to these radios because they have little desire to learn Morse and AM requires too many frequency adjustments.
I might add that Vectronics sells these kits a bit cheaper in quantity to schools, making them an attractive and inexpensive project which was enthusiastically greated by all of my students.