Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | High Sierra El Dorado Help

Reviews Summary for High Sierra El Dorado
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $500.00
Description: Motorized vertical antenna
More info: http://www.cq73.com

You can write your own review of the High Sierra El Dorado.

W6DNC Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2009 16:41 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a apartment complex in Salinas, Ca. And after reading several reviews and answers from antenna makers. I end up ordering a High Sierra El Dorado.
The antenna works exactly as described, it tunes the full 10-80 meter bands my antenna is attached to a 5' 1 1/4 plumming pipe 36" above roof tile (like a vent pipe).
You wanna save money in coax cable and several or diferent antennas this is the one to get.
I have pictures available if you like to get an idea on to how the antenna was installed and the costumer service is great even before buying the antenna got answers, just send your e-mail and you will be getting an answer like in 15 o less minutes thanks to Jim..
w6dnc@netzero.com

Si quieres ahorrar en antennas y cable esta es la antena para comprar para mi trabaja de 80-10 metros sin ningun problema. puesta en un techo de teja en una pipa de 1 1/4 como pipa de ventilacion fotos disponibles para que puedan tener una idea de como esta installada el servicio es muy bueno gracias a Jim.. solo e-mail a mi w6dnc@netzero.com

W4HEY Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Amazing!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I installed my High Sierra 1800/Pro El Dorado package last weekend, it has done nothing but surprise me! Much better performance than my Butternut (ground mounted) and absolutely perfect, no I mean PERFECT, for deed-restricted and Covenant Controlled Gestapo-style communities like mine. The bulk of the antenna is only 3.5' in height and the 6' whip is barely noticeable, even IF you're looking for it (mine is powdercoated grey)! With my 5' white vinyl fence, the HOA is none the wiser as to my new installation. Kudo's to Eileen and the Gang at HS!

KC9GXC Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2006 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Great A Low Profile Base  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can stated without reservation that El Dorado is great for a base antenna for those of us that are restricted for space or live in a community with antenna restrictions.
This was money well spent.
I tried several antennas trying to keep a low (Froce 12 Sigma 5- Can't comapre to the HS)profile and easy set up, but none of the compared to the High Sierra in terms of over all performance, ease of set-up and tuning.
The antenna was easy to set-up (follow the manual). I decided to mount it on an MFJ 6 portable tripod that elevates the bottom of the antenna about 5 above the ground, using the radial kit that comes with it. I set it up in my driveway and Im ready to go. Set-up and take down time is less than 3 minutes. Super easy.
Tuning using the k box was easy. Save the money on an external tuner. Using my SWR meter on my radio the highest SWR I got was 1.5 :1 on 40M. On 10-20 it is lower. I did not try it on any of the bands, yet.
Now for the good news on 17m on 10/21/06 I worked Mexico City and Italy (a town 400mi N of Rome) with signal reports of 59+, using about 80Watts. On 40M and 20M I was able to hit the nets and continue to get good reports. Keep in mind this is not a beam or a vertical at 40, but it does a great job of getting you on the bands and then some.
Jim at HS puts together a quality product with great tech service. Save your self the time and money with other products and just get the HS El Dorado. I wish I had done it sooner.
Randy
KC9GXC

SM5IUF Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2006 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this antenna from Water & Stanton in the UK and have it installed on my balcony, located on the second and top floor of the building. The balcony has rail and roof of Aluminum that are connected electrically via two heavy Aluminum poles in the ends that carries the weight of the roof. This is allmost like a somewhat hollow Aluminum cage and should in theory give a good RF ground.

I even got the Superantenna MP-1 to work well for me due to this great balcony but I needed an all weather antenna so this is why I got this El Dorado antenna. It's also much more comfortable to use the remote control in bad weather than to go outside for changing the frequency. In the last period the temperature has cycled above and below the freezing point with snow and rain but the weather shield has worked as intended, no problem there.

It works real well giving me DX contacts on 20 meter with only 100 Watts. I am really pleased with it and surprised how well it works even on the 80 meter band, however no DX on that band.

Hams on the 80 meter are really amazed how strong I am on that band but I think this is mostly due to the fact that most wire antennas on 80 meter has real big earth losses due to being installed on too low heights.

I have orderd a new 10 feet telescopic whip to get a taller whip and thus boost the performance on 80 meter, perhaps with a S-unit or more. I will probably lose 21, 24 and 28 MHz bands but close to a sun spot minimum I believe I will not need these at all. Since it's stationary and not on a vehicle I can get away with a taller whip since the rest of the antenna is so sturdy. I expect to get the lowest frequency down to about 3 MHz, just perfect for taking part in Military training nets.

I really recommend this antenna. It's very sturdy and can take strong winds, remember it's in fact made for vehicles and should give a long service life when installed stationary.

73 and a Happy New 2006
de SM5IUF Gunnar

W0CKI Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2003 00:39 Send this review to a friend
Remarkable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the Eldorado Pro for about 6 months. It has been used in 3 different configurations, all base, at 2 different locations. First, I used it at our summer home in Lake Tahoe at 6200 feet with it mounted 10 feet in the air using the 8- 10 foot radials that were provided. Over a 4 week period it was used on 10 thru 75 SSB with excellent results using 100 watts.
The second and third configuration was at our home in Las Vegas in an antenna restricted enviorment. It is mounted on a wrought iron fence using the 200 feet of fence as a counterpoise with the tip of the whip about 15 feet in the air. With 200 watts barefoot and 600 watts when needed (CW/SSB) the performance has been sensational, all things taken in to perspective.
As a third configuration in addittion to the fence, I laid down 400+ feet of measured radials, 8,16,and 32 feet in length, I believe 8/9 0f each. The performance appears to be further improved. If I hear a station I can generally work it tho I stay out of the crazy pileups.
It tunes on 10 thru 75, close to 1/1 and never more than 1.5 to 1.
I moved from LA where I had a beam and tower and I was very concerned that my DX days were over, not so with the Eldorado Pro.
I have "stealthed" it and while if your looking for it, it can be seen, if your not,it's tough to see until on top of it.
No RFI of any kind, except I do mess up one wireless phone in my home.
I would highly recommend it for those of us that have the limits of the "dreadfull" CC&R's.
73, Gary W0CKI/7

KC2IOX Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2003 20:58 Send this review to a friend
ABSOLUTELY PERFECT!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I LIVE IN A SMALL HOUSE WHERE A DIPOLE IS IMPOSSIBLE TO STRING UP. I WANTED TO BE ABLE TO USE 10-80 METERS. A LARGE VERTICLE DIPOLE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA EITHER AS THE XYL WOULD HAVE A FIT. I ALSO WANTED THE BEST PERFORMANCE I CAN BUY. AFTER MANY HOURS OF RESEARCH I DECIDED ON THE EL DORADO. I CANNOT SAY ENOUGH GOOD THINGS ABOUT IT. EASY TO ASSEMBLE. EVERYTHING IS INCLUDED IN THE PACKAGE FROM WIRE TERMINALS TO COAX SEALING MATERIAL. THE ANTENNA WORKS EXACTLY AS DESCRIBED. IT TUNES A THE FULL 10-80 METERS, SO THERE IS NO NEED FOR A TUNER. A PERFECT ANTENNA FOR JUST ABOUT ANY APPLICATION. THE COMPANY IS ALSO A PLEASURE TO DEAL WITH. VERY FRIENDLY AND KNOWLEDGABLE. THE ANTENNA IS VERY WELL DESIGNED AND OPERATES PERFECTLY. EASY TO TUNE. I HAVE MINE MOUNTED ON THE CHIMNEY OF MY HOUSE AND IS ONLY 25 FEET HIGH FROM THE GROUND. GREAT JOB GUYS!!!!

N4ALT Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2003 15:25 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi My name is Adam I live in an antenna restricted townhouse in staten island New York.I needed a small antenna that packed a big punch on the hf bands.After a lot of searching i ran across an ad in qst from high sierra.Ive used there hs1500 antenna on the back of my work truckfor fours years with great results.I ordered the EL Dorado antenna and in three days it was at my door.Instalation was a snap it took all of a half hour.The fit and finish is top self.I have the antenna mounted on a five foot tv mast attached to a vent pipe on my roof at around 45 feet.I spread the eight wire radials out and siliconed the ends to my roof so they would not be seen at street level.ran my coax cable through the attic and into my shack.I am amazed at how well the antenna works from six meters through seventyfive with a great swr.The bands havent been to good lately but ive managed to work japan europe and africa with 100 watts and my eldorado stealth antenna.No reports of any interference from my wife or the neighbors which was a relief.Jim at high sierra is very helpful and reliable which is hard to come by these days.I think this antenna is fantastic and a real winner.If anyone has any questions feel free to email me adam65@si.rr.com

W6RENE Rating: 5/5 Jun 23, 2003 09:28 Send this review to a friend
The perfect vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my El Dorado for several months. It is really compact and it really works. I have worked 60 countries despite bad band conditions. My neighbors don't even know that I have the El Dorado.

KC6LYV Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2003 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Spectacular results  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had mine up for several months and worked lots of DX. It tunes easy. It came with an 8 wire counterpoise that was just 10 feet long. The antenna weighs about 6 pounds. I can cover all of any ham band or shortwave frequency. I can tune from 3.5 MHz and up. I use a small wall transformer to power the motor which needs about 300 milliamps. My neighbors don't even know that I have it. There are no traps to burn out. I covers all of the frequencies. I highly recommend this antenna.

K6ZSX Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2003 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the 1800DX version for home use. I use it at home and on my car. It works great. I've worked a lot of DX with my El Dorado. It covers 80 to 10 meters. It is relatively hard to see. My neighbors don't even know that I have it. I can put it up and take it down in just a few seconds. I use the radials that came with the antenna. If you're looking for a good antenna for home use that the neighbors won't complain about, take a look at the El Dorado.