Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | RME 6900 Help

Reviews Summary for RME 6900
RME 6900 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $349.00
Description: Ham band receiver made by Radio Manufacturing Engineers

You can write your own review of the RME 6900.

W4PR Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2014 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Classic with Excellent Receive Characteristics  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was state of the art when it was first sold in 1962. My neighbor's father bought him one, along with an HT-40 and a TA33jr beam and tower. Of course he never got a license but I got to play with the receiver!

Flash forward 30 years later in the Dayton flea market. There it was a mint RME 6900, bought it and love it. I would up getting the RME 6901 speaker from a TV repair shop where it sold on Ebay for $9.

It is the most pleasurable sounding pieces of equipment I have ever owned. (I do have an ICOM 7600 and 7000) using an SP-20 speaker.) The selectivity and clarity of the RME is amazing. SSB sounds incredibly natural, AM-N is great for listening to ham AM, and although the CW is a bit narrow it is amazing how easy it is to pick out very weak DX stations.

The receiver is also a rock. I have only had to do two minor tweaks in 15 years, e.g. the tuning capacitor loosened from the rod and I had to clean the band switch. This is an amazing addition to my classic station.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2003 19:58 Send this review to a friend
A great old radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This fine old (tube type) reciever is a favorite of mine. I saw my first one back in the early 60s in the shack of my late Uncle and Elmer. Kaarlo was W1BNO, (Bananas, Nuts, and Oranges) back then. He had either an SX-101 or an SX-115 before the RME. I loved (and still do) the long band specific turret. Back when I was in Kentucky, I bought a mint 6900 and matching 6901 speaker. It was one of 2 owned by famed DXer W6AM, Don Wallace. It played great. It went back to W6 land.
I have sinced moved to sunny Florida and have completed my 'dream shack / shop'. I have several 'vintage' operating positions (and one position with all the latest imported stuff).
Before I left Ky, I picked up a couple of receivers that I needed to round out my collection. I wanted to have one radio from each manufacturer, well almost. I found several RMEs on e-bay, some were missing that beautiful polished hemispherical main tuning knob. I found a radio for a reasonable price. It was dog ugly, but worked very nicely. Yesterday, I finished the restoration. Gosh, it's beautiful! I expected to have to replace a bunch of paper caps in it, but to my great surprise and delight, there were only a couple of the usual suspects. Both were nfg, of course and quickly replaced. After alignment and reassembly, I let it 'cook' for 2 hours and tuned in WWV on the 10 Mhz band for zero beat. Dial calibration was only 2 Khz off! Calibrator was right on!
No, this radio won't compete with my Icom 756PRO or my 761, but for it's age and simplicity, it is an outstanding radio, that is a delight to these eyes and that warm tubey sound is fun to listen to (again).

For information on having your vintage receiver refurbished, please contact me directly. I can do 'em all, from Lafayette to Collins.

(n4ue@aol.com)