Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosley PRO-67C Help

Reviews Summary for Mosley PRO-67C
Mosley PRO-67C Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $1,983.95
Description: (missing—add Description)
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com

You can write your own review of the Mosley PRO-67C.

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2012 07:59 Send this review to a friend
A Perfect Brute  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed a super heavy duty tower on a mountain top in Western Colorado. I needed an antenna that could handle the expected 100 MPH winds and which wouldn't need babying. My master Tower Installeer Jack Johansen told me I had one choice... this big Mosley. Well it is rock solid. And assembled exactly according to Mosley's marks it needed absolutely no further tuning on any band. When you have an antenna up 72 feet on top of a mountain you really don't want to have to fuss to get an antenna tuned. First contact was a first call response from Chad. Getting a 40 meter sized antenna onto a tower is a huge undertaking... you only want to have to do it once. And that makes this proven design a terrific choice.

KY4JIM Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 12:18 Send this review to a friend
BIG GUN SMALL PRICE  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I PURCHASED THIS ANTENNA WANTED TO DX AND GET OFF THE WIRES. WELL I GUESS I HAVE A GREAT ANTENNA IT HAS BEEN THROUGH 80 PLUS WINDS THINKING EACH TIME THERE WOULD BE DAMAGE. WELL IT HAS SUFFER'D NO DAMAGE OF ANY KIND.I SWING THIS ANTENNA A LOT FIGURED IT WOULD BREAK SOMEWHERE,BUT HAS NOT HAPPEN'D YET.I'AM HARD ON A ANTENNA AND EXPECT IT TO DO CLOSE TO ITS ADVERTISEMENT.WELL THIS ANTENNA HAS BEEN PUT THROUGH THE TEST. I FOUND IT TO BE VERY HEAVY DUTY AND A WIZ TO ASSEMBLE. I TOOK MY TIME AND READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS FOR BUILDING IT,BEING CAREFUL PUTTING IT IN THE PORTION OF THE BAND I WANTED. AND ALL MY BANDS ARE PERFECT 1.1-1.3 I AM VERY HAPPY WITH THIS ANTENNA.YOU TUBE VIDEO LIFTING THIS ANTENNA.IT SHOWS HOW STRONG BUILT THIS ANTENNA IS .I DON'T THINK MOSLEY MEN'T FOR THERE ANTENNA TO BE RAISED LIKE THIS.QRZ MY CALL FOR INSTANT LINK OF RAISING.73'S BIG JIM

N0AZZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2012 03:11 Send this review to a friend
All I can Say is It works as Well as aSteppIR 3 ele  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna up now for almost 5 years now and given it a very good workout on all bands it covers everything 10-40m. This antenna is very well built heavy duty has survived 90 mph wind gusts on several different occasions.

When assembling antenna every element is drilled except for 40m. They give you 3 choices for settings cw only, cw/ssb or ssb only. 40m you have to set the 3 elements to get the best VSWR on that band and it takes a little time. But once finished with all the assembly in the air you will be pleased on all bands. I had wondered about the 30m rotatable dipole it was the only one on the antenna how well it would work. It worked very well better than my wire antennas because I could turn it.

Two years ago a friend and local ham 8 mi from me decided to buy a SteppIR 3 element unit he has a 55' tower also the same as mine it was a pain to assemble and put up. We do chase a lot of DX together and so it has went for 2 years of when his was working at least he had a lot of problems, controllers, motors, boots, ice, you name it.

But when it did work mine worked everything his did with as good of signal reports or better than his I run 1k he has 1.5k. That's about all I can tell anyone this antenna other than it has never been for any repairs or maintenance in 5 years.

I0JX Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2002 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Not top performance but good compromise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I mounted my PRO-67-C in 1997, converting a PRO-67-B that I had mounted three years earlier (Mosley also sells conversion kits).

My main comments are:

- antenna assembly: no real problem, though the manual could certainly be improved (there were some ambiguities I could only resolve calling Mosley on the phone). To get a good SWR, I had to change the length of some elements (see below), and this was quite a lengthy and tedious process. In my case, raising and lowering the antenna several times was not a problem, as my tower has a tram that rides up & down the tower, allowing me to raise & lower the antenna by simply turning a winch crank. Uncommonly, the tram does not wrap around the tower, but it instead slides on support guides fixed to one side of the tower itself. This design eliminates most problems with guy wires. For those not having an equivalent facility, I can provide a table showing the optimal length for the various elements. Just contact i0jx@amsat.org

- mechanical aspects: the antenna is quite OK, though I had to add a guy wire to keep the boom straight, and also a guy wire for each of the three long elements (I have mounted three vertical 5-foot aluminum poles on the boom, each as close as possible to an element. Each pole has a pulley on the top, that sustains the guy wire). With no guy wires, the antenna would look really ugly.

- SWR performance: While the PRO-67-B was immediately OK with no need for adjusting elements length, with the PRO-67-C I had to play with elements length to get the proper resonance on 40, 30 and 12 meters, while not causing a change in resonance on the other bands. Still, resonance on 12 meters is a bit too high (around 25.050 MHz). Generally speaking, the antenna is very good from the SWR standpoint almost anywhere. An exception is 20 meters where, differently from the PRO-67-B, the PRO-67-C is rather narrow, and you must use a tuner when operating close to band edges. Probably the Q of the 20-meter traps is too high (also see the power handling issue below). On 40 meters, in Europe we can only operate on 7.000 - 7.100, so we have no SWR problems. However, you cannot get a good SWR across the whole US 7.000 - 7300 band; you must select either CW or SSB. Overall, the antenna is vey pleasant to operate: no switch and, most often, no tuner either

- radiation performance: I have no way to measure antenna gain. With regard to front-to-back ratio, the antenna is generally rather poor on all bands this however does not necessarily mean low gain). In 1997, I sent a detailed report to Mosley on this issue, but I never got a answer. My impresssion (but this is just a feeling) that the antenna works best on 40, 17 ad 10 meters.

- power handling capability: I use an amplifier capable of 2,500 W RF output (key-down power). I had no problems except on 20 meters where the trap Q is very high and the circulating current is then high too. Some time ago I noted that the 20-meter resonance had shifted somewhat down after making several consecutive QSOs on CW. Lately, I have been calling the VP6DI dxpedition for quite a while on CW, and the SWR suddenly got quite high: resonance had shifted down to 13.750 MHz !!! I had to replace the 20-meter coils of the long radiator traps, as the support insulator had got melted. Therefore the 2,500 W limit Mosley claims for CW operation is certainly optimistic.

In conclusion: to my opinion, the PRO-67-C is certainly not the highest-performance antenna you could buy, but in my case (having already worked all DXCC countries, and not making contests any longer) is quite a good compromise, as it permits me to operate everywhere and in a very convenient manner. Current price is, to my opinion, exagerated.

WA9PIE Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2000 13:30 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I actually read AD6W's review before I purchased the antenna - and we exchanged a few emails on the topic. I looked at the comparable Force12 antennas (which require multiple feedlines) and spoke to lots of people (including Gary Sr & Jr at Mosley).

In the end, I decided to buy the Pro-67-C-3.

My first take was - it's expensive and it's BIG and heavy. Also, I agree with AD6W that it's a rather complex antenna and not too pretty, due to the "droop".

The antenna was raised by 2 people - but you'd better get strong ones (there's a link at the end of this where you can see pictures of the project).

The initial tune-up showed 10-15-20-40 about where I expected. However, I needed to adjust the 40m ends of all three elements. I began by swinging the beam around it's horizontal axis so that I can get to the driven element from climbing the tower. As for the tips of the reflector and director, I could either take the antenna (at least) partially down or rent a lift. I rented the lift and highly recommend that for anyone who's considering adjusting the tips. Usually you can find someone who works for a tree maintenance service who will do it for lunch and a beer.

The tuning on 12-17-30 left me a bit unimpressed with the default settings. Although 17 was flat at 1:1 SWR, 12 & 30 were high enough that my rig was cutting back on the power. So I lengthened the inner section of the 2nd driven element (by 4") and brought all bands into a situation where they were under 1.5:1, which made my rig happy.

All of these adjustments were made over the course of about 9 months. Meanwhile, my country count went from 225 to 275.

Hint - when making adjustments, DON'T drill until you're sure that's where you want it. It's best to use 3M electrical tape while testing.

A word about Mosley; I ordered the antenna in mid-February and I didn't receive it until sometime around the Dayton Hamvention (in May). I thought that was a bit too long. When I called to check the status, they were very friendly and gave me status. I spoke to Gary Sr. and Gary Jr. on several occasions to discuss techical strategy and they are helpful - but rather hard to get ahold of.

My bottom line - I highly recommend it. However, it's not a good choice for folks who are impatient and (at the same time) perfectionists. Getting this antenna in the state you want it in takes time... plenty of it. But it's well worth it.

I would rate it a 5 if the antenna had shipped quicker and if Mosley would take questions via email (rather than the phone call or fax).

You can see my construction at http://www.mindspring.com/~mcarper/amateur.htm and select the "Tower Pics".

Regards,
Mike, WA9PIE

AD6W Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 1999 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Works on 7 bands  Time owned: unknown months
The PRO-67C is a compromise coil-trapped beam that covers 7 HF bands from 40 through 10 meters using seven elements on a 24-foot boom. It has 3 or more active elements on each band except 30 meters, where it has one. The antenna also has an undocumented resonance at 4500 KHz that can be moved down onto 75 meters using a passive network mounted on the feed point of the largest driven element to provide operation in a narrow segment on that band. Thus it is the only antenna I know of that can operate on all HF Ham bands using one boom, one feed line, and a reasonably sized tower and rotor. It also has none of the band-to-band interactions common to systems with many antennas stacked together on one tower, and it leaves room to mount additional V/UHF antennas on the mast. The quality of the antenna is good, and the color-coded parts make assembly easy. My PRO-67C works well on 40 meters, much better than the wire dipole I used previously, and the 2:1 SWR bandwidth on that band is over 200 KHz. The 12 and 17 meter bands also work very well as they use dedicated reflectors with no traps. During the three years I have had the antenna up I have not missed working any of the DXpeditions, and my band-country count on 40 meters and each of the WARC bands has climbed very rapidly.

But as I said, this is a compromise antenna, and I would strongly caution anyone considering one to closely examine its tradeoffs. Compared to the KT34XA triband antenna I used before, the PRO-67C is not nearly as good on 20, 15, and 10 meters, the bands on which most serious DXing is done, and the 2:1 SWR bandwidth on 20 meters is only 220 KHz, a real pain if you like to work both ends of that band. The 40, 20, and 12 meter bands on my antenna all required significant adjustment for lowest SWR. This is also a HEAVY and COMPLEX antenna with lots of traps to go wrong, and is fairly ugly due to the fact the longer elements sag more than 3 feet while interspersed with shorter elements that don't sag much at all.

In summary, I'd like to say that I bought the PRO-67C during the sunspot minimum when 40 meter performance was critical. Back then there were many nights when 40 was the only band open. Now that conditions are better, 40 meters is not near as important to me. If I were buying a new 7-band antenna today, I would seriously consider a log periodic instead of the PRO-67C because they have no traps and give continuous coverage with better performance on 30 meters. I would also like to point point out that there is little advantage in having any beam with 40 meters if you are going to mount it much lower than 65 feet.