Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Radio Works G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Works G5RV
Radio Works G5RV Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: 80-10 meter wire antenna consisting of a 102-foot horizontal section and a vertical section comprised of 31 feet of ladder line and a balun/line isolator. Works all HF bands with an antenna tuner.
More info: http://www.radioworks.com/cg5rv.html

You can write your own review of the Radio Works G5RV.

K3CN Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2003 18:14 Send this review to a friend
Fine antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one great G5RV. Well made and plays great! I tune all bands with built in tuner in the rig no problem. I agree with the previous post about the mod. It will pay dividends in the long run. If you have limited space for antennas and want to work all bands10-80Mtrs then this is the one.

K4CMD Rating: 4/5 Jul 11, 2003 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Great but needs one mod  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
You may have seen my review of the Van Gorden G5RV and how much I praised the Radio Works one I put up in its place. That was only a few weeks after purchase; now it's been six months and I have some experience-related information to share.

First off, the antenna tunes well -- I use the internal tuner in my Kenwood TS-570S(G) and the antenna tunes everywhere. No problems there, and I work lots of DX from my home in Central Virginia with the G5RV about 35 feet off the ground, suspended between two trees.

This antenna is well-built -- and that makes it heavy. The twinlead and "line isolator" that make up the center element (the one that hangs from the antenna's center down) is robust, and I strongly recommend supporting the center of the antenna. Mine isn't, and I don't have a convenient structure to support the center from. Hence it sags in the middle.

But that weight is something that destroyed my Van Gorden G5RV, and I've already had to repair the Radio Works one for the same reason: On both of these antennas, the center portion hangs from the center insulator by the feedline, and the points where the feedline is wrapped around the horizontal antenna elements have to withstand the constant strain of 30 feet of feedline and that heavy line isolator! I already lost one side of that connection one windy day.

So down came the antenna, amid a lot of language and sweat (I have LOTS of trees in my yard), and I fixed the antenna, and then implemented a homemade modification that has prevented it from happening again so far -- I drilled a hole in the last "ladder rung" of the twinlead, right up under the center insulator, and ran a heavy piece of "zip cord" through the hole, looping it over the top of the center insulator a couple of times. This takes the strain off the twin lead's wires -- much in the same way that Radio Works uses a piece of zip cord to hold the line isolator under the twin lead at the bottom. Now the full weight of the vertical section isn't hanging from the connection points at the center insulator.

I hope this made sense -- I probably overstated it in an effort to make it clear! Anyone who's put up a G5RV should be able to visualize what I'm talking about.

I do love the antenna; for only $59.95 it's a real bargain for someone like me who doesn't have the real estate (or loopholes in his covenants) to put up lots of antennas. With the G5RV I can work DX on 20, participate in a local net on 10, hang out on 75 for a while, and then spend the rest of the evening SWLing. Great antenna -- but do yourself a favor and do the mod or you'll find yourself taking the antenna down every so often to resolder the twin lead to the horizontal portion!