Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1
Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1 Reviews: 96 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $108.95 kit 148.95 assembled
Description: The new SCAF-1 filter from Ham Supply/Idiom Press makes your radio listener friendly, whether you are an SSB or CW operator. Using a modern but little known technology called SCAF filtering, the SCAF-1 is an active audio low pass filter offering user control of the filter cut-off frequency, yielding a stunning 96dB per octave roll-off of signals above the cut off frequency, and no white noise. It is the perfect partner for your crystal or mechanical filters. And, unlike most audio filters, there is absolutely NO ringing.

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1.

KG4LLQ Rating: 3/5 Feb 13, 2018 10:00 Send this review to a friend
SCAF-1 is "OK" but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my SCAF-1 for over 10 years. Building it was no big deal. For a filter its "fair" but gets no prizes. Here's the problem: it's an audio filter so annoying signals that infringe on the tuned signal can still get through and affect the quality of the filtered signal. This is an inherent issue with audio filters: the transceiver/receiver still lets the adjacent signals to get through and if they're strong enough they affect the signal (CW) you wish to copy. Nothing can eliminate adjacent signals that you want to remove like an IF filter. That's why I rate the SCAF-1 as just "OK".
N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2017 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two
They are great
K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2017 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembled on Saturday. Took my time. Connected to the rig and turned it on. Worked! I have a TS590 and this is a nice addition. I operate SSB and it's nice to flip on switch and turn the knob until you're happy with the signal. Fun project and is very useful. A keeper in my book.

KA1IS Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 13:13 Send this review to a friend
good low pass filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product is an audio low pass filter.

If you have a shortwave receiver or transceiver with wide filters - that is, greater than 1200 Hz or so - this filter will really improve selectivity.

If you have a recent ham transceiver with decent CW filters, it won't make much difference. It will reduce hiss or other stray high audio frequencies, if that is a problem you are trying to solve.

Excellent build quality.
AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked one up on e-bay for $40.00 and have never looked back. I work mostly SSB with some CW and even with a modern rig like the Icom 7600 or my Pro-3 it does what it's supposed to. With the easy adjustability of this little gadget, you can take out the majority of the back round white noise while not cancelling the signal you are trying to hear. It does what it's supposed to!
KM6AXC Rating: 3/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Really Powers in the CW signal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a 72 year old newbie at this stuff so I thought I'd pass on this tidbit for other non-tech guys. First, the product probably deserves a "great" rating but I as yet don't know enough about what I am doing to fully appreciate the product:) All the reviews below should give you enough info on how it performs, I'll just give you a hint on how to improve the instructions/device hook up. The instructions say in part ".......cut one end off and then solder on the connector that is correct for your radio". NAW!! Just go to Radio Shack, buy a stereo cable and an adaptor that takes your stereo plug and magically transforms it into an RCA plug. Also, for some reason (my lack of knowledge perhaps??) if you have headphones on when you hit various switches, be aware that a loud "pop" will occur and may hurt your ears. For me, I have learned to turn the receiver gain down and then push other buttons. But a small thing for the signal improvement the product produces. If you know how to eliminate the pop, please let me know??
KA8DDT Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding audio filter!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just assembled my new SCAF-1 audio filter from and itís just as exceptional as the company and reviewers said it would be in sorting out weak signals in big pileups.

I got back into ham radio and CW two years ago with a new radio and antenna, but the internal 500 Hz audio filter I bought for my new radio and my old stand-alone audio filter simply werenít up to the task.

Online, I found the reviews touting the SCAF-1 audio filter. But unfortunately, the SCAF-1ís manufacturer, Idiom Press, had gone out of business and, which acquired Idiom, had sold all of its SCAF-1 units.

But ordered up a new batch of SCAF-1 units, which went on sale in May.

The filters come in two versions: a kit you can build ($108.95) or an assembled and tested unit ($148.95).

I bought the kit, which arrived quickly, and assembled it in two evenings. Iím a bit rusty on electronic kit assembly, so the company sent me full color .pdf to replace the black and white photocopied instructions that came with the kit. The color photos were a big help. The instructions coordinate perfectly with the component numbering printed on the circuit board.

I got bogged for a bit wiring the rear panel jacks, but after carefully re-reading the instructions, I connected everything perfectly and the unit fired up on the first try.

What I love about this unit is its ability to filter out unwanted radio signals. Unlike my old external audio filter, this one eliminates headphone hiss and makes ham radio and CW more fun.

The companyís website says the SCAF-1 works just as effectively on voice. has a demonstration video on its website.

K0KZO Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2016 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built one a several years ago then stowed it away when I got an FT-950. I recently put it back into service on the R75 receiver and it works great. While designed mostly for CW, it works great to clarify signals on SSB and even on AM. I ding it a point on ergonomics. I recommend a front mounted headphone jack. I added a headphone/speaker toggle in the front, which was an easy mod.
AF2DX Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2014 15:23 Send this review to a friend
It does the job but...........  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does not come close to the NE-QRP CLUB CW FILTER.
I just did a side by side comparison with the Idiom press SCAF filter and the NE-SCAF club filter
The Idiom press does a good job but the NE/SCAF club kit filter comes way ahead and the price for the kit is about 1/2.
I think the latest kit that the New England put out was using a different chip and gave it a bit less hiss but i'm happy with mine
AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Neat little toy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Scaf second hand but unused at a hamfest. While I did not "need" it, I am a bit of a filter nut trying to get that last bit of an edge out of my system. I have plenty of filtering options with my K3 and its optional 200hz roofing filter but what the Scaf does is take a bit of the edge off. It also in some situations gives signals a bit of "pop" bringing it out from the noise floor.

Has this filter gotten me any new ones that I wouldn't have otherwise? Absolutely not! What the filter does do is make the time on the air more enjoyable. And less fatiguing, something the K3 desperately needs.