Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1
Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1 Reviews: 94 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $108.95 kit 148.95 assembled
Description: The new SCAF-1 filter from Ham Supply/Idiom Press makes your radio listener friendly, whether you are an SSB or CW operator. Using a modern but little known technology called SCAF filtering, the SCAF-1 is an active audio low pass filter offering user control of the filter cut-off frequency, yielding a stunning 96dB per octave roll-off of signals above the cut off frequency, and no white noise. It is the perfect partner for your crystal or mechanical filters. And, unlike most audio filters, there is absolutely NO ringing.
More info: http://www.hamsupply.com/logikit-scaf-1-noise-filter/

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press/Ham Supply SCAF-1.

K1PJR Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2017 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Assembled on Saturday. Took my time. Connected to the rig and turned it on. Worked! I have a TS590 and this is a nice addition. I operate SSB and it's nice to flip on switch and turn the knob until you're happy with the signal. Fun project and is very useful. A keeper in my book.

Phil

KA1IS Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 13:13 Send this review to a friend
good low pass filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This product is an audio low pass filter.

If you have a shortwave receiver or transceiver with wide filters - that is, greater than 1200 Hz or so - this filter will really improve selectivity.

If you have a recent ham transceiver with decent CW filters, it won't make much difference. It will reduce hiss or other stray high audio frequencies, if that is a problem you are trying to solve.

Excellent build quality.

AE9DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2016 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked one up on e-bay for $40.00 and have never looked back. I work mostly SSB with some CW and even with a modern rig like the Icom 7600 or my Pro-3 it does what it's supposed to. With the easy adjustability of this little gadget, you can take out the majority of the back round white noise while not cancelling the signal you are trying to hear. It does what it's supposed to!

KM6AXC Rating: 3/5 Jul 15, 2016 07:15 Send this review to a friend
Really Powers in the CW signal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a 72 year old newbie at this stuff so I thought I'd pass on this tidbit for other non-tech guys. First, the product probably deserves a "great" rating but I as yet don't know enough about what I am doing to fully appreciate the product:) All the reviews below should give you enough info on how it performs, I'll just give you a hint on how to improve the instructions/device hook up. The instructions say in part ".......cut one end off and then solder on the connector that is correct for your radio". NAW!! Just go to Radio Shack, buy a stereo cable and an adaptor that takes your stereo plug and magically transforms it into an RCA plug. Also, for some reason (my lack of knowledge perhaps??) if you have headphones on when you hit various switches, be aware that a loud "pop" will occur and may hurt your ears. For me, I have learned to turn the receiver gain down and then push other buttons. But a small thing for the signal improvement the product produces. If you know how to eliminate the pop, please let me know??
Jerry
KM6AXC

KA8DDT Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2016 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding audio filter!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just assembled my new SCAF-1 audio filter from HamSupply.com and itís just as exceptional as the company and eHam.net reviewers said it would be in sorting out weak signals in big pileups.

I got back into ham radio and CW two years ago with a new radio and antenna, but the internal 500 Hz audio filter I bought for my new radio and my old stand-alone audio filter simply werenít up to the task.

Online, I found the eHam.net reviews touting the SCAF-1 audio filter. But unfortunately, the SCAF-1ís manufacturer, Idiom Press, had gone out of business and HamSupply.com, which acquired Idiom, had sold all of its SCAF-1 units.

But HamSupply.com ordered up a new batch of SCAF-1 units, which went on sale in May.

The filters come in two versions: a kit you can build ($108.95) or an assembled and tested unit ($148.95).

I bought the kit, which arrived quickly, and assembled it in two evenings. Iím a bit rusty on electronic kit assembly, so the company sent me full color .pdf to replace the black and white photocopied instructions that came with the kit. The color photos were a big help. The instructions coordinate perfectly with the component numbering printed on the circuit board.

I got bogged for a bit wiring the rear panel jacks, but after carefully re-reading the instructions, I connected everything perfectly and the unit fired up on the first try.

What I love about this unit is its ability to filter out unwanted radio signals. Unlike my old external audio filter, this one eliminates headphone hiss and makes ham radio and CW more fun.

The companyís website says the SCAF-1 works just as effectively on voice. HamSupply.com has a demonstration video on its website.

Dave
KA8DDT

NG0K Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2016 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Useful  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built one a several years ago then stowed it away when I got an FT-950. I recently put it back into service on the R75 receiver and it works great. While designed mostly for CW, it works great to clarify signals on SSB and even on AM. I ding it a point on ergonomics. I recommend a front mounted headphone jack. I added a headphone/speaker toggle in the front, which was an easy mod.

AF2DX Rating: 4/5 May 17, 2014 15:23 Send this review to a friend
It does the job but...........  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does not come close to the NE-QRP CLUB CW FILTER.
I just did a side by side comparison with the Idiom press SCAF filter and the NE-SCAF club filter
The Idiom press does a good job but the NE/SCAF club kit filter comes way ahead and the price for the kit is about 1/2.
I think the latest kit that the New England put out was using a different chip and gave it a bit less hiss but i'm happy with mine
BOB AF2Q

AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Neat little toy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Scaf second hand but unused at a hamfest. While I did not "need" it, I am a bit of a filter nut trying to get that last bit of an edge out of my system. I have plenty of filtering options with my K3 and its optional 200hz roofing filter but what the Scaf does is take a bit of the edge off. It also in some situations gives signals a bit of "pop" bringing it out from the noise floor.

Has this filter gotten me any new ones that I wouldn't have otherwise? Absolutely not! What the filter does do is make the time on the air more enjoyable. And less fatiguing, something the K3 desperately needs.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2013 18:26 Send this review to a friend
One great filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For years I have heard about how good this SCAF-1 was but never had a chance to own one.
Recently a guy on qth.com put one for sale for a decent price already assembled and made my mind,tonight I have it conected to the headphones connector of my new FTDX-5000MP and after listening for an hour I think there is only one word to express my impression: WOW !!
Its amazing how well this filter works, either on CW or SSB the filtering is very effective, I have been able to notch very strong stations just 200 or 300 Hz away from weak ones on CW and just 1.5 to 1.8 Kz away on SSB, its just like having a very well design DSP in your hands, so now with the help of sharp roofing filters and this very selective audio filter I have a very good sharp receiver. I don't even need to use the Contour/Audio filter control of the 5K.
I have to congratulate the designer and builder of this SCAF-1 because this circuit is very effective.
It not only narrow the audio passband but also cuts down the band noise to the point that look like we have the powerful effective "DNR" from the 5K.
I also tested with the K3 and it works terrific with that radio as well.
Its a keeper as a great accesory for the station no matter how old or new be your radio.

Hector
AD4C

K6WHP Rating: 2/5 May 1, 2013 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Unit So-So; Service Terrible   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am compelled to weigh in with a less-than-sunny evaluation of this product. I had written a previous review (removed by eham.net) based upon my experiences with the Idiom Press people and their failure to not only not deliver their product BUT TO REFUSE TO ACKNOWLEDGE MY ORDER AND RESPOND TO E-MAILS AND PHONE CALLS OVER A SIX-WEEK PERIOD. (I was not alone in travails like these; another ham had similar contemporaneous problems and likewise cancelled his order.) I can understand the previous review being removed because it was not about the product per se.

Anyway, aside from the fact that I did not have my order honored and ultimately cancelled with them, I bore the actual product no malice. In fact, because I was able to pick up one at a swap meet -- one requiring repair work, by the way -- I want to now write of my experiences and offer caveats to anyone contemplating purchasing the product or the kit. Here goes:

Firstly, the unit I got at the swap did not work. Attempts to find a manual were fruitless until a fellow ham graciously sent me a copy of his. Upon commencing the repair work I noted that there were radical differences between the manual and the actual unit I had on hand. While the board may have been accurate per the manual, the front switch was not. My unit had a DPDT with six tabs and the manual had nine tabs. The wiring on the unit I had bore only the remotest resemblance to the wiring in the documentation.

Please note that the instructions were published in 2006 and there was an addendum of corrections outlining a means of modifying the LM386 circuitry so it would perform better. (I think circa 2008) It was a very complex series of "four instructions up from the bottom change x to y" steps and occurred to me that perhaps the owner should have REWRITTEN the original to reflect the changes and tied them more tightly to board/kit revisions.

When I finally got my unit working, I was pleased -- BUT NOT IMPRESSED -- with its performance. The circuit is merely a low pass filter comprised of the two SCAF chips driven by a 555 timer. It ain't rocket science. Frankly, the NEScaf kit by the New England QRP club (http://newenglandqrp.org/nescaf) and the HI-PER-MITE (http://www.4sqrp.com/HiPerMite.php) offer products with as much promise, are very well supported, and are much more reasonably priced than the Idiom Press SCAF-1 unit.

Finally, previous "I bought mine several years ago, built it, and love it" reviews might be nice and fuzzy and heartwarming but you will be spending anywhere from $95 to $130 for one of these things and, if so, you had better be prepared for

(1) At least six weeks of being ignored after your order is taken.
(2) The prospect of a kit whose instructions are ambiguous and possibly out-of-date.
(3) A pathetic record when it comes to support and service.

The 2 is for the performance of the unit. Were I to rate the overall experience with Idiom Press with respect to the SCAF-1, it would be zero.

Color me not impressed.