Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Idiom Press SCAF-1 Help

Reviews Summary for Idiom Press SCAF-1
Idiom Press SCAF-1 Reviews: 89 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: The new SCAF-1 filter from Idiom Press makes your radio listener friendly, whether you are an SSB or CW operator. Using a modern but little known technology called SCAF filtering, the SCAF-1 is an active audio low pass filter offering user control of the filter cut-off frequency, yielding a stunning 96dB per octave roll-off of signals above the cut off frequency, and no white noise. It is the perfect partner for your crystal or mechanical filters. And, unlike most audio filters, there is absolutely NO ringing.
More info: http://www.idiompress.com/scaf-1.html

You can write your own review of the Idiom Press SCAF-1.

HFHAM2 Rating: 3/5 Nov 25, 2011 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Okay but not Great IMO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wasn't as impressed as everyone else seems to be with my SCAF-1. Yes, it works okay, but doesn't go very narrow for CW work. For SSB, if you adjust it narrow enough to make a difference, it makes the voices muffled (which I hate listening to).

Maybe I was spoiled with the SCAF on the SGC SG-2020 HF transceiver which would narrow right down to 100Hz for single signal CW copy (fantastic), but the SCAF-1 doesn't go that narrow.

After a month or two of using it, I sold it and bought a 250Hz crystal CW filter instead (which did a far better job on CW).

The samples on the Idiom Press web site sound great, but I didn't get results as good as those.

VE3GNU Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2011 10:52 Send this review to a friend
Perfect  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are a goodly number of Audio-type filters available, but after considering, and then discarding some of the candidates I finally, and happily settled on the Idiom SCAF-1. It's a perfect addition to my Ten Tec Argonaut V; it does exactly what is advertised and delivers the kind of listening comfort, that I feel, is welcome in today's DSP environment. As well, the EHAM REVIEWS were instrumental in acting on my choice, and if I may suggest---anyone with a DSP rig might want to consider this option for a more relaxed and pleasurable listening experience. I might add that this was my third dealings with Idiom Press---great products, great service, and a great company.
73---Ernie
VE3GNU

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2011 13:59 Send this review to a friend
LID remover!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi. A great deal of the time while at my PC, I have my FRG-7 running. I have all the Kiwa mods and think very highly of this receiver.

A LOT of the time, I listen to the 'stuff' on 14.275. It seems like everyone tunes up there or QRMs the other stations just for fun.

Today, there were a lot of carriers around that trequency. I found that the SCAF-1 removes those hetrodynes almost as good as the 'Notch' in my 756PRO. The Automatic Notch in the PRO never ceases to amaze me!

I helped Idiom Press with the Manual several years ago and I have my NR knob wired to increase the NR as the knob is turned CW.

It is also excellent for removing the bleed-over from nearby stations.

I can't believe how well this little box works for the $ !!

ron
N4UE

NG9D Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2010 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Clean low-pass filtering  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My IC703 has a stock SSB filter, and for CW sometimes the CW-reverse feature and IF-shift don't provide enough selectivity. The SCAF-1 is a useful and economical low-pass active audio filter. The kit is easy to assemble and does definitely provide clean low-pass filtering, you can see it assembled and hear how it works at http://www.youtube.com/user/NG9D?feature=mhum The recording is from this weekends CW contest. Kit ordered last Wed, delivered Fri and assembled and tested over the weekend. 73 de NG9D

WF8O Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2010 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I read all I could online about this filter. I was skeptical of the consistent accolades this low pass filter receives. I got mine last Friday in three days from the manufacturer. I must say that the unit is a qrn killer on CW. I have 500hz filter and I have Yaesu DSP built into my 857. Those are nice, but the "go to" remedy for qrn and qrm is the Scaf-1. Narrow filters raise the apparent noise level, and DSP has its drawbacks also. The SCAF-1 provides the ability to pull weak stations out of the grass and to copy them without fatigue. It's outstanding!

Sincerely,

Mike Narges WF8O

KG3Z Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2010 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent kit, and support  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use a Kenwood TS-520 & TS-530, and wanted to reduce the tiresome noise on SSB and CW. I found the SCAF-1, and gave Rob W7GH a call at Idiompress..a year ago. Rob spent time explaining the SCAF-1, how well it performed, BUT suggested I install a crystal filter before purchasing the SCAF-1. Rob went so far as to give me the suggested filter part number at INRAD, and I followed his advice. The crystal filter worked well, but as I listened to more and more CW, the howl was very fatiguing. Remembering how helpful Rob was in talking me out of his product originally, I purchased the SCAF-1 kit.
The kit arrived carefully wrapped and packed, with all parts accounted for..nothing missing. The instructions left nothing to the imagination; a casual observer could complete the kit. The sequence was exactly as it should be: a very logical order. Anyone with Heath, Knight, EICO, RCA etc, etc kit experience won't have any trouble.
The unit powered up without any trouble, and in less than 5 minutes I was ready to try copying code. It actually took more time to decide where to put it than to adjust it. Functionally, it makes a great difference in SSB as well as CW, reducing fatigue quite a bit. I have mine cabled to cascade thru my SP-230 which gives me more filtration, although I doubt that will be necessary--the SCAF-1 works beautifully.

VK7JB Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2010 03:29 Send this review to a friend
Another gem by Idiom Press  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
All the hallmarks of a great kit: Excellent, prompt customer service. Quality components - and no missing parts! Unambiguous instructions. Perfect function, exactly as described. What more can you ask for? Just like the Logikit CMOS-4 keyer kit, the SCAF-1 kit was a dream to construct. It has transformed my CW listening experience and added another level of control over SSB audio. I've found it works very well with the DSP on my IC 746-pro, which on its own, I'd never found very useful. I've retired an expensive outboard/inline DSP unit - the SCAF-1 and onboard DSP combo is so much more effective. Thank you Idiom Press for another gem.
VK7JB

K5AGO Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2010 00:36 Send this review to a friend
Fun 2 night project  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Concise and accurate instructions, top quality components, and above average circuit board. Amazingly, this unit also solved an issue that has plagued my Icom 756-Pro-III for years by eliminating the CW artifacts in receive mode (see Elmer forum http://www.eham.net/forums/Elmers/195991).

TOPPER Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2009 00:19 Send this review to a friend
bye, bye hiss!  Time owned: more than 12 months
2nd one, like a fool sold the first. Straight forward kit. Love it for CW, helps on phone too. Real time, just dial in what sounds best. Worth hanging on to.

K0BG Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2009 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Every mobile should have one  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
No matter which mobile transceiver you use, even ones with IF based DSPs, there are times when the SCAF makes copying that rare one worth the effort in building and installing one.

I take indifference to one item in the description about ringing. if you're driving a speaker with the unit, it is possible to overdrive the input stage, which will distort the audio and give you the same effect, albeit rare.