Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Alinco DJ-191 Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DJ-191
Alinco DJ-191 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $275
Description: UHF/VHF Hand Held Transceiver
2m (DJ-191) or 70cm (DJ-491)
More info: http://www.avera.nl/A%20dj-191.htm

You can write your own review of the Alinco DJ-191.

AD0JA Rating: 4/5 Jul 27, 2015 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Good basic HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this HT from some estate sale equipment. It seems to get a little hot after talking on it for a while. Did not come with a battery, I just run it off a 2 amp power supply. It is very basic and has no PL decode, but I would definitely buy another one if I could find it for a decent price.

KE6EUM Rating: 2/5 Jun 4, 2010 00:37 Send this review to a friend
Does not meet my needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was given this ht after my Icom died.

Pro's: Large easy to read lcd display.
The illumination is pleasant to look at.

Con's: My biggest and most relevant complaints are:

1. No PL decode. I know that there is an optional decoder board you can put in, but for the price, you might as well buy another ht with a decoder as standard equipment.
2. The dc input does not charge the battery. I find this to be unacceptable. If i'm traveling and my battery dies, i'm out of luck if i wish to use it as an ht until i get home to put the battery in the drop in charger (ac input only), then wait overnight until it's charged.
3. The vfo scan feature needs work. It will scan everything between 136-174 mhz and beeps every 500 khz. There is no way to set scan edges.

Summary: This is a very basic ht and feel that i could not rely on it during times of need. Even though it was given to me, i will return it and buy something else.

VE7NMB Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2010 20:15 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
great HT!! easy to program, use, and sounds great. Nice weight and feel to it...only thing I would change is to have a rotary knob for the volume (I just prefer them)

KE4ICS Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2005 07:45 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am writing this review because I just bought a new dual bander and thought this one deserved some recognition. I have had it about 6 or 7 years. It works just as good today as it did when I bought it new. I have never had any problem out of this radio. It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles, and the belt clip gets hot when transmitting on high. Those are about the only complaints I can think of.

I bought one battery pack (ebp-34n low power extended life) and it work great. With moderate transmitting on high, it will stay charged for about a week before I have to recharge it. I have always used the standard duck antenna and it always worked great. A freind of mine has the same radio with comet bnc-24 and it works even better! I am using this radio portable and as a mobile with an external speaker-mic and mag-mount quarter wave. I am only using the battery pack as a power source (no cig lighter plug). I have had great reports on audio, and hit all the local repeaters (and some not so local) with no problems.

I am not going to sell this radio, instead I am going to keep it as a mobile until it dies. If that happens to be tomorrow, I will still have gotten my money's worth.

Excellent service for an excellent price!

Mike
KE4ICS

KF8ZR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2004 17:44 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this for voice and portable packet. It works really nice. I've had it since 1999. Doesn't have much scan delay options but still has more channels than my mobile rig

YO2MAI Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2004 07:23 Send this review to a friend
opinion  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have had my alinco dj 191 as my first radio for 1 and a half year's now and it was second hand echuipment ,it is stil runing licke in the first day (maiby evan beter) i had it.It is a god radio evan wuth the rx and tx extended.I could not opouse the temtation of entering the engenearing menu and chage the sensitivity and to be onest it improved 3 times in the amateur band betwen 144-146 Mhz.In concluzion it is a god radio but it is a fragile one because it has a veri fragile casing licke ani other alinco radio from it-s generation.

by by