Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2800M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2800M
Yaesu FT-2800M Reviews: 200 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $195.00
Description: Yaesu 2m Transceiver Introuduced 2/2003. 65 Watt Output,- 4 power levels, 2M Transmit, 134-174 Receive, 219 Memories w/ 6 char AlphaNumeric display, NOAA Weather, CTCSS & DTS encode/decode, rugged case.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2800M.

KM4WSX Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2017 20:56 Send this review to a friend
Used, modded rig works well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this used at a hamfest for $30. I've spent more on lunch. Passed it to an Amateur Extra/First Class Radiotelephone/Radio Station Chief Engineer friend who forensically examined the radio. Ops check good, noted that a suggested circuit mod had been accomplished, and that the previous owner had gone into the service menu to lower maximum output to 50 watts, thereby solving the heat failure problem. I touched up the paint with black car engine high heat paint. Fix or toss if it fails, no loss. Backup bench workhorse.

K3SSB Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 2800 is now celebrating its eighth birthday as my road warrior companion. In all of the miles and vehicles's not a missed beat... except for a replaced DC power cable. Runs off the cigarette lighter into a Larsen 1/4 wave mag mount.

If only all things were as reliable...

KA7BAD Rating: 1/5 Feb 5, 2017 13:54 Send this review to a friend
good gone bad  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought 2ed hand from a local SK estate. set up as a base radio. perfect SWR and clean power. then one day mid-tx it just shut off. No go. Will have to tear into it, but sad it only lasted a couple months.

W2WHT Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2016 09:46 Send this review to a friend
rugged and easy to use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the FT2800's. Both work perfectly. I had a problem with the LCD in one radio (My fault for leaving it in a super-heated storage unit: 140 degrees) and I ordered a new LCD from Yaesu parts and besides the fact that they were great to deal with the part was cheap (less than $10 shipped), I installed the part and the radio is fine.
Not to cast any aspersions on other brands and their support but I have been gradually replacing all my various rigs (handheld or otherwise) with Yaesu products. I am that impressed with the products and the support from Yaesu.

KD8DMV Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2015 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Good enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio has bounced around on the passenger seat of various company vehicles for almost 10 years now. I run it off a lighter plug with a mag mount antenna. As I travel I often add repeaters on the fly. I have found it to be extremely easy to program.

My main complaints center around the microphone. I have had difficulty with the modular microphone jack. I lost audio out of the speaker but discovered the problem was in the microphone jack. Cleaning it with contact cleaner resolved the problem. I have also replaced the microphone (at least half the price of replacing the rig) because the strain relief on the bottom of the microphone disintegrated and some of the buttons were flaky.

My only other gripe is that you must have the microphone plugged in to initiate scanning. There are times when I'd like to throw the microphone in the glove box to get it out of the way, but I can't control many radio functions without the microphone plugged in.

Overall my experience is that the 2800 is an extremely solid, reliable basic radio. I would give it a 5 if it had a better microphone and connector. I would definitely purchase another one.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2014 22:51 Send this review to a friend
Good, inexpensive radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought three of these in 2009. I have used them mobile, in a boat, as a APRS radio, and loaned them to new Ham operators. So far no failures, zero issues.

AA1OV Rating: 0/5 Nov 29, 2013 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Bad Quality control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this as a new rig from another ham. It spent 7 days as my APRS digi rig and died. It replaced a rig that lost the finals and apparently this on did too. BTW SWR on the omni was perfect. I was so disgusted I sold it for a new parts tech special. BTW this rig runs HOT meven at lower power settings. Sad as I am a Yaesu freak.....

KJ4OLF Rating: 2/5 May 9, 2013 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Good radio until design flaw caused it to stop working  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was very happy with this radio for three years until it stopped working. The finals burned out due to the fact that the heat sink doesn't adequately dispensate the heat. This well documented problem with this model. If you have one of these radios, I recommend that you either install an fan inside it and avoid transmitting this radio on Full power.

W4BRU Rating: 1/5 Jul 19, 2012 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Failure after short life  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great 2-meter mobile but not reliable. After 18 months the squelch failed. That's 6 months after the warranty ended! E-mail and calls to Yaesu for a schematic and/or service manual yielded "none available". So repair seems impractical. A friend told me today his failed also with what appears to be a PIN (TR switch) failure after about 2 years. So it's a disposable. Now to find a less costly disposable.

KC0VOE Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2012 17:45 Send this review to a friend
4.5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well,

Its a really, really cheap 2 meter mobile. it does what it should. When you crank the volume up the sound gets kind of distorted.

For this price, i cant complain too much.... id buy another one for the prices I am seeing used.