Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2800M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2800M
Yaesu FT-2800M Reviews: 199 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $195.00
Description: Yaesu 2m Transceiver Introuduced 2/2003. 65 Watt Output,- 4 power levels, 2M Transmit, 134-174 Receive, 219 Memories w/ 6 char AlphaNumeric display, NOAA Weather, CTCSS & DTS encode/decode, rugged case.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2800M.

KI4GTJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2012 15:11 Send this review to a friend
GREAT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
type -o- fix Got my ft-2800m back in 03 ran it in my truck till I sold it back in 05 to get a IC-208h. Big mistake did not like it the 208H is replace with the 2900r/e that was a gift great radio too

KD8BQN Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2012 11:05 Send this review to a friend
One Tough Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My father bought this radio for me as a gift the day I got my ticket at the Dayton Hamvention in 2005. I've run this radio now for nearly 7 years with absolutely NO problems whatsoever! I get great audio reports, and this radio is EXTREMELY rugged. I do a lot of outdoor activities, and the radio has been in my car down to well below 0 F and done just fine. I am extremely hard on my equipment and this radio has truly withstood the test of time.

The 65 watts of power is GREAT and has helped me out of a few binds when the radio was my only means of communications. Obviously the antenna I'm using helps as well, but this radio is probably the toughest radio I've ever seen!

It does get a bit warm after lots of high power usage, but i have it mounted on the passenger side of the center console so I don't notice it.

Gave a 5 star rating because I have yet to find a problem with this equipment!

KD8HAM Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 09:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice little base unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my 3rd Yaesu radio in the last few years. I owned a FT-60R HT. I also own a FT-2900R that I use as a mobile rig.

I bought the 2800, used, for less than 80 bucks. I have it hooked up to a jetstream power supply and runs in to a j-pole. Great audio reports and the radio does well. I hardly ever run the radio on high power and have yet to experience any heating issues. The memory management is quite different than the FT-2900 and is quite simple. The radio has a Memory Only mode - that some people might find helpful. Large display, intuitive controls and menus.

On the downside, the front knobs feel a little cheap and fragile. However, I cannot complain for the price I paid for this unit.

Overall good value for money.

AE6ZW Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2011 00:08 Send this review to a friend
Good , except it get too hot  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have FT-2800M for more than 2 years now and use it quite often.
the radio works well, except I did added 120 mm square 12V DC FAN ( normal computer case fan ) on top of the radio to keep it cool during transmission. with 65 watts, after several minutes, the radio get very hot without this FAN, but with this FAN, it keep less than body temperature ( 36 deg C. )
add some type of FAN either 140 mm, 120 mm, on top , or 50 mm SQ on back, everything is fine.

W4YJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 13, 2011 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Bad audio-Bad transmit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 3 of these over the years. The last two I had sounded horrible on transmit and the last one blew out a final. If you can get one that has decent transmit audio just be careful to not run high power a lot. I won't buy another one!

AB3FW Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2011 18:53 Send this review to a friend
no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig about 3 years ago. I run it into a home-made 1/4 wave ground plane and work all the repeaters in south central PA. It's never given me a problem. All for $140. I couldn't be happier.

KA4WJB Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2011 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Some problems but still a good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased 2 of these radios. One for base and one for mobile. The base rig developed a microphone input problem which was the radio and not the mic since the mic had been swapped for testing. What was worse was that it was an intermittent problem that cut the mic audio off. No obvious connection problems on the circuit board, so to the junk pile it went. A third rig was purchased. The mobile rig seemed to be sensitive to voltage drops as being on high power and the car at an idle sometimes the rig would cycle. Of course the microphone coiled cords disintegrate and the crumbs end up on the floor of the car. Thank you Yaesu for the quality microphone cords. I have mic cords that are 50 years old that are still intact. On the good side the display is large enough to read in the mobile, the rig has plenty of power, the menus are reasonably easy for todayís rigs, good audio and the price is right. Would I buy another? Yes I probably would. Overall itís a good simple single band rig.

N7CPU Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Great after 2 slight mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this from a local at a hamfest, I have been using it for data at full output with long transmission times without a problem and with the heatsink getting slightly warm. The best thing to do with this unit is to go into the engineering menus and turn the high power down to 60w from the 65, this reduces heat on the sink by almost 50%. Tightening down the screws on the RF transistor helps also, they seem to loosen from thermal expansion and contraction over time. Receiver is pretty good for a baseline mobile unit. low intermod, high sensitivity and decent selectivity. The weakest item out of the box is the mic, but I consider included mics as throw away items. a decent shure or an old turner will make an marked improvement in this radio's already great audio

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
No Problems with this rig..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am the second owner of my FT-2800M,and thus far have not had any problems at all with this rig. At first I was leary of buying this because of the poor reviews this rig gets. The previous owner has or rather had 3 of these, and didn't need all 3 so I was the lucky guy that got his excess. All that said...yea, I did have concerns about this rig, so I asked the owner...well ok..I grilled the owner at length about the use, any failures of any parts,etc. Also asked what he did/did not like about the radio, any other points of interest that may be of benefit to me after I get this rig. What happens, I get it and the next day it craps out? He did offer a 5 day money back return if the rig did not preform to my satisfaction.

So, here we are 6-8 months later, the rig sits here in my living room, connected to my Diamond V2000A tri band antenna. I can honestly say that with my rig at least I have not acquired any problems to speak of. I do have a friend in the next town north who will be 85 on Monday 6/6/11.. any time we talk, or he hears me talking to someone, he chimes in with the..Mark, you got a hum on your transmit...OK, if I do why hasn't any one else said anything. I'm on this radio, almost daily, at least its on every day of the week. I may only talk on it 5-6 days a week some times, but this rig does get its use. I really can't find any fault with this rig in any way, shape or form. All in all...65 watts out on 2 meters, hey it works for me and that's all that really matters isn't it?

If you do manage t find one of these rigs, its great as a base rig, which is what I needed it for. I do have an FT-8900R which covers 10,6,2, 70cms. it to is an excellent rig, but this review isn't about that radio is it? See my review on the 8900, if you want. Would I buy another one? Don't know, maybe if the price was right, I got this one for $90 shipped. If I could find another that is as good as this one..yea I would. Take it from there folks, its not a bad radio, at least in my estimation, thank you all who take the time to read this post.

Remember our troops as they take the fight to the enemy day after day. Freedoms isn't free, there is always a cost involved.

de Mark
W3LZK

DV1UBY Rating: 0/5 Apr 5, 2011 06:23 Send this review to a friend
BAD, AWFUL RADIO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I WILL NOT BUY ANY RADIO FROM YAESU/VERTEX-STANDARD EVER AGAIN! MY FT-2800M >>> ANOTHER MASS PRODUCED PRODUCT FROM CHINA, MEANING THEY ARE POORLY MADE AND THE HAVE A VERY POOR QUALITY!