Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Yaesu FT-2800M Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-2800M
Yaesu FT-2800M Reviews: 195 Average rating: 3.7/5 MSRP: $195.00
Description: Yaesu 2m Transceiver Introuduced 2/2003. 65 Watt Output,- 4 power levels, 2M Transmit, 134-174 Receive, 219 Memories w/ 6 char AlphaNumeric display, NOAA Weather, CTCSS & DTS encode/decode, rugged case.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-2800M.

W4YJ Rating: 3/5 Aug 13, 2011 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Bad audio-Bad transmit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 3 of these over the years. The last two I had sounded horrible on transmit and the last one blew out a final. If you can get one that has decent transmit audio just be careful to not run high power a lot. I won't buy another one!

AB3FW Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2011 18:53 Send this review to a friend
no problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig about 3 years ago. I run it into a home-made 1/4 wave ground plane and work all the repeaters in south central PA. It's never given me a problem. All for $140. I couldn't be happier.

KA4WJB Rating: 4/5 Jun 30, 2011 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Some problems but still a good rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased 2 of these radios. One for base and one for mobile. The base rig developed a microphone input problem which was the radio and not the mic since the mic had been swapped for testing. What was worse was that it was an intermittent problem that cut the mic audio off. No obvious connection problems on the circuit board, so to the junk pile it went. A third rig was purchased. The mobile rig seemed to be sensitive to voltage drops as being on high power and the car at an idle sometimes the rig would cycle. Of course the microphone coiled cords disintegrate and the crumbs end up on the floor of the car. Thank you Yaesu for the quality microphone cords. I have mic cords that are 50 years old that are still intact. On the good side the display is large enough to read in the mobile, the rig has plenty of power, the menus are reasonably easy for todayís rigs, good audio and the price is right. Would I buy another? Yes I probably would. Overall itís a good simple single band rig.

N7CPU Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Great after 2 slight mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this from a local at a hamfest, I have been using it for data at full output with long transmission times without a problem and with the heatsink getting slightly warm. The best thing to do with this unit is to go into the engineering menus and turn the high power down to 60w from the 65, this reduces heat on the sink by almost 50%. Tightening down the screws on the RF transistor helps also, they seem to loosen from thermal expansion and contraction over time. Receiver is pretty good for a baseline mobile unit. low intermod, high sensitivity and decent selectivity. The weakest item out of the box is the mic, but I consider included mics as throw away items. a decent shure or an old turner will make an marked improvement in this radio's already great audio

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
No Problems with this rig..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am the second owner of my FT-2800M,and thus far have not had any problems at all with this rig. At first I was leary of buying this because of the poor reviews this rig gets. The previous owner has or rather had 3 of these, and didn't need all 3 so I was the lucky guy that got his excess. All that said...yea, I did have concerns about this rig, so I asked the owner...well ok..I grilled the owner at length about the use, any failures of any parts,etc. Also asked what he did/did not like about the radio, any other points of interest that may be of benefit to me after I get this rig. What happens, I get it and the next day it craps out? He did offer a 5 day money back return if the rig did not preform to my satisfaction.

So, here we are 6-8 months later, the rig sits here in my living room, connected to my Diamond V2000A tri band antenna. I can honestly say that with my rig at least I have not acquired any problems to speak of. I do have a friend in the next town north who will be 85 on Monday 6/6/11.. any time we talk, or he hears me talking to someone, he chimes in with the..Mark, you got a hum on your transmit...OK, if I do why hasn't any one else said anything. I'm on this radio, almost daily, at least its on every day of the week. I may only talk on it 5-6 days a week some times, but this rig does get its use. I really can't find any fault with this rig in any way, shape or form. All in all...65 watts out on 2 meters, hey it works for me and that's all that really matters isn't it?

If you do manage t find one of these rigs, its great as a base rig, which is what I needed it for. I do have an FT-8900R which covers 10,6,2, 70cms. it to is an excellent rig, but this review isn't about that radio is it? See my review on the 8900, if you want. Would I buy another one? Don't know, maybe if the price was right, I got this one for $90 shipped. If I could find another that is as good as this one..yea I would. Take it from there folks, its not a bad radio, at least in my estimation, thank you all who take the time to read this post.

Remember our troops as they take the fight to the enemy day after day. Freedoms isn't free, there is always a cost involved.

de Mark
W3LZK

DV1UBY Rating: 0/5 Apr 5, 2011 06:23 Send this review to a friend
BAD, AWFUL RADIO!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I WILL NOT BUY ANY RADIO FROM YAESU/VERTEX-STANDARD EVER AGAIN! MY FT-2800M >>> ANOTHER MASS PRODUCED PRODUCT FROM CHINA, MEANING THEY ARE POORLY MADE AND THE HAVE A VERY POOR QUALITY!

PA3CTG Rating: 3/5 Feb 23, 2011 04:46 Send this review to a friend
No RF ouput, bad pre-driver 2SK3075  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The good: Large display, large frequency dial knob, robust casing, high RF output power, good TX modulation, high AF power when external speaker used & lots of settings possible.

The bad: after a couple of months suddenly no RF output anymore. Found the pre-diver (2SK3075) bad. This one cannot be removed using a solder iron, you need special hot air gun. Luckily we had one at my work. Unfortunately the 2SK3075 is hard to find in Europe. I replaced it with a RD15HVF1. Added some heat sink metal to fix the TO-220 case on. Also found the 470uF/16volt capacitor bad(AF DC decoupling). It was mounted wrong! Minus should point to the center of the PCB! I also had to replace the fuse holder because it burned(contact resistance @ 15Amp fuse).

Tested the radio on my Marconi 2945A and put it back in my car. The radio works fine for some time now. Hope it stays like this. The radio is good value for money, it only has some flaws.

Hint: only use high RF power for 1 minute max. or use (create) forced air cooling.

73' Harm

N0HSM Rating: 1/5 Feb 22, 2011 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Another bad final  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The good: The radio gets good audio reports from fellow hams. It has a decent receiver. The large display is great!

The bad: This radio has a problem with the final output transistor. I should have read done better homework on eHam before purchasing. However, it should not take the misfortune of other hams before Yaesu admits they have a problem.

Now looking for something else. I will stay away from Yaesu.

K4CLL Rating: 2/5 Feb 21, 2011 17:16 Send this review to a friend
A big disappointment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought 2 of these at different times. The first had a hum when certain tones were programmed in it. People were always telling me I had a DC hum. The second had such bad audio out that you had to eat the mic or people complained they couldn't hear me. I went Icom and have none of these issues. I honestly expected better from Yaesu. I know it is a cheap rig, but others in the same price range are working fine.

KG4FMQ Rating: 4/5 Feb 12, 2011 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Not too bad!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this radio for more than 4 years. It does everything that it is suppose to do. It has always put out the full power. It is built like a tank. The only issue I have had is low audio with the radio. I did some research, and found that there is a hidden menu that has many other features, but be careful!!! The hidden menu will allow you to boost the audio with out doing the mic mod. Anyway, this rig has been solid, and thats the only reason I could not give it a 5. On a side note, I would not put this rig, or the 2600 in a mobile, due to the mic cords over time will become brittle, and split.

KG4FMQ