Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | XMatch (tm) Help

Reviews Summary for XMatch (tm)
XMatch (tm) Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1,045.
Description: Commercial-Grade all the way
More info: http://n4xm.myiglou.com

You can write your own review of the XMatch (tm).

VA3AVT Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2013 11:10 Send this review to a friend
This is worth the hay Ur money grows on!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Iíve had almost every tuner on the market and I have finally got the BEST. This is worth every dollar. You may think twice when you open it and have a look inside, but the performance and engineering of this tuner is brilliant.. Smooth & very little to adjust when changing bands. I can still beat all my buds when we QSY. I can tune faster then any auto tuner out there. I highly recommend this tuner to every ham!!

Only one complaint about this tuner. It's very light weight and moves around a bit when turning the inductor. So I fixed mine by putting better rubber feet to fixís this minor issue.
Just for fun I attached 10 foot wire to the back of the tuner and it tuned it down to a 1.2swr,, wow simply amazing.
Donít worry about how much it costs just get it and it will be the last tuner you will ever buy..

73's
VA3AVT.

W4TLM Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I too have been quite happy with my purchase of
Paul's XMATCH LOWBANDER. From it's silky smooth
operation to it's ability to handle exorbant mis-
matches yet still "get the fire to the wire".
Dealing with Paul was a pleasure as well. Yes,
a little pricey, but quality costs. I am consid-
ering the purchase of a 2nd unit as I view
these antenna system matching device's as very
well constructed and easy to use.

73 de Terry / W4TLM

WB4QDA Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2008 11:53 Send this review to a friend
The best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just like the other reviews There is not a better non autiomatic tuner on the market .I use it to tune my W5GI , my 80 meter folded diapole and my 160 meter diapole with my Acom 2000a amp . The tuner never gets warm a full legal limit and will tune 10+ SWR

KG4LRU Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2006 21:44 Send this review to a friend
Best of the Best  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is no doubt that when Paul designed and built these tuners ,he put nothing but the best inside them . It shows a truly the best low bander tuner you can buy 10:1 swr no problem this one gets it done . The beauty of this tuner is you can change 100 kc not have to retune . Makes this tuner a must have for serious contest stations. If your running serious power this is the tuner That should be in your shack. Paul builds each one. And it will be the only tuner you will ever need. Get one you be glad you did.

K6KAR Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2006 11:50 Send this review to a friend
IN A CLASS ALL ALONE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely the best antenna tuner on the market. Pricey, yes. However it comes down to, "you get what you pay for!" In the case of the XMatch it is quality all the way. The XMatch I purchased utilizes a vacuum variable which provides a little more flexability. When you consider the cost for parts, this tuner is very ompetitively priced. Both the fit and finish are excellent.

N4ZZK Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2001 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Two thumbs up!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an excellent no frills tuner. The quality of the components and construction is very good. The fit and finish is better than I expected, it as nice as any commercial product (or better). There are no cheap meters (in fact there are no meters at all) but its not a problem. I used an SWR analyzer to set it up and have a reflected power bar graph in my amp. An external SWR meter is suggested but I didn't need one in my setup.

The tuner works very well with my 3 band 2 el quad that has always been a little quirky. I'm running an Alpha 87A amp with AlphaMax (automaic tuing software) that is very happy to provide full power on all the bands. The Alpha'a tuner works but doesn't have the range to get a great match on all bands. I'll be trying some other antennas soon since the quad worked out so well.

The settings are easy to come back to and it just sits there and works.

I can't find anything to complain about except maybe to ask Paul to consider a discount for repeat customers. I think I'd like to get a second one someday.

73, Al, N4ZZK

K5KH Rating: 5/5 Apr 18, 2001 09:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Quality Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I completely agree with the other two reviews I've seen here reviewing the XMatch tuner. I've had mine for about a year with the same excellent performance as quoted by others. His units are not inexpensive, but I have no doubt that N4XM builds the best amateur tuner on the market. I've used an older Nye Viking (also very good) and the high power Vectronics tuner (and it arced over on 160m with 1kW just like the QST review said it would!), and I am very pleased with the XMatch. His minimalist approach is very efficient and robust.

W2DAP Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2000 13:29 Send this review to a friend
The best available  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you want a matcher which will handle just about any antenna impedance problem you are likely to encounter, this is your unit. In several years of operation my only worry in an out-of-resonance situation, is my coax! 4:1 SWR on 160 at 1KW? Not a problem, the XMatch doesn't even get warm, owing to its superior design and commercial-grade components (and I should know since I have been a broadcast engineer for close to 40 years). Be certain that your coax, associated connectors and other antenna components can take it because the XMatch has such high efficiency even with a high SWR, the power leaves it rather than dissipating in heat within the unit. If your antenna system has 'em, weak links will show up, thus caution is suggested...It is the only "tuner" I will trust to handle my Alpha amp!

K8ND Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2000 12:19 Send this review to a friend
Built like a brick ...well, tuner!  Time owned: unknown months
I've had the N4XM "Classic Lowbander" XMatch tuner for over two years now, and it is by far the beefiest commercial antenna tuner I've ever seen! Excellent construction techniques throughout, and beefy quality parts throughout. The QST review (March '97: available on the ARRL web site), which compared this tuner to all the other full-power tuners on the market at the time pointed out that this tuner was the best out there in terms of efficiency and tuning range ("...goes where the others feared to tread."), especially if your interest is in the 160/80/40 meter bands. Coax only (no balun), no power/SWR meter. A weekend sending 1.5KW on 160m doesn't make this case warm *at all*. Tuning procedure is a bit different than a traditional tuner, but once a setting is found for a band, it's an easy matter to mark it on the plexiglas cover on the front panel. I've never had an "arc-over" occur, even when tuning some pretty odd antennas! They are *not* cheap (over $1000), but if you want the equal or better, you'll have to gather the beefy parts and build your own! Paul Schrader, N4XM, builds these tuners by hand for you.