Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | TinyTrak3 Help

Reviews Summary for TinyTrak3
TinyTrak3 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $32
Description: A small and inexpensive GPS position encoder which replaces the need for a packet TNC in an APRS tracker.
More info: http://www.byonics.com

You can write your own review of the TinyTrak3.

WW5AA Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2008 07:59 Send this review to a friend
Simple!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great way to get on APRS, easy to program with my laptop while on the go. Hooked it up to an old 5 watt HT and I was beaconing for less than $75. Check out the PT cruiser (WW5AA-9)

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2008 04:07 Send this review to a friend
Works Exactly as Advertised!  Time owned: more than 12 months
No problems with RFI or data signal levels at all! This device works and works well for me at all times. It is almost eerie the amount of performance and intelligence that can be built into such a simple device.

KF6IIU Rating: 2/5 Mar 12, 2008 20:05 Send this review to a friend
More a lesson in RFI than APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have TT3Plus. It's a well-packaged unit with good software features, but (like many PIC based devices it seems) it is extremely sensitive to RFI. With mine, when connected to an HT I have found no configurations that will work for an extended period without eventually making the TT3+ go haywire from RFI. I've tried toroids, round planes, caps, you name it.

You can get on the air fast with this but you will probably spend more time debugging RFI issues than using it, unless you are using it in a vehicle and the unit can be shielded or kept a fair distance from the antenna. You shouldn't have to buy a half pound of toroids to make it work.

NW3H Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2008 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent APRS mobile tracker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the Tiny Track 3 Plus with a Yaesu FT-1500 and a MFJ 1/4 wave mag mount antenna for my mobile tracker. Byon's customer service is the very best I have ever encountered in any situation, ham radio or non-ham radio. I wish people were as friendly and helpful in all phases of customer service as Byon was. His help and quick responses to emails were very much appreciated. I am on the air now as WM3L-9. Thanks Byon for a great product and great support!

N3UJJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2007 11:20 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level (and beyond) APRS unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 3 TinyTrak3's and the ONLY problems I have ever had have been my fault (not reading documentation, cabling, etc). Byon's support has been second to none. Great Product, Great Support.

KC4TKL Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2007 20:20 Send this review to a friend
The Way It Should Be Done  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Read the reviews and had high expectations. Bullseye.

Ordered TT3+ on Thursday night, had the unit Monday when I got home from work. Had it configured and saw my station on GOOGLEAPRS within a few hours (stupid me wasn't ready and had to make a power cable for the HT and go get a null modem cable).

Well made product, cost effective, with good customer service - The Way It Should Be Done.

73, KC4TKL

W5EJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2007 16:24 Send this review to a friend
Simple and it works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Shipped the same day I ordered it. Built the kit (TinyTrak3 +) in about 30 minutes, very easy to put together. Use the internal power to supply voltage to a Lowrance Globemap 100 GPS. This was my first attempt at APRS but I had the unit configured and on the APRS grid in about 2 hours, could have been sooner but I was learning about APRS as I went along. I'd recommend this unit for anyone needing a simple inexpensive APRS TNC solution.

KB3MPZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2007 17:23 Send this review to a friend
easy build works great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
built in under an hour. directions good and no missing parts.

W7CNK Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2006 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Great service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Placed my order for a built TinyTrack3Plus combo late Tuesday afternoon, received email conformation and within 15 minute received a shipping notice and it arrived today, Thursday. I was prepared with Null Modem cable and 9 volt battery. With a little configuration and cabling I was up and running within 30 minutes of unpacking. Great produce!!!

KD7MWR Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2006 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic service and very Innovative  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one of the most innovative pieces of gear I use. It makes a very inexpensive APRS tracker using an old handheld such as a HTX-202. I used a GPS I found on EBay for $13 along with a $25 radio and made a tracker for under $100.

The Tinytrak offers smart beaconing wich gives it an advantage over a Kenwood D7A or D700A. The TinyTrak will also transmit location after voice.

However, using the Tinytrak does require two radios if you want to use a repeater for voice transmissions and 144.39 for APRS. Using the Kenwood only requires one radio.

Byon offers some of the best customer service I have ever encountered! His shipping is only $3.00 and is very quick. I was missing one part and sent an EMail. He had the part to me in only 2 days.

This is a great product.