Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | KK7TV Communications Help

Reviews Summary for KK7TV Communications
KK7TV  Communications Reviews: 40 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $80.USD/Hr
Description: Factory Authorized Repair of, YAESU,KENWOOD,ICOM,ALINCO

NOTE: No longer repairing ham radio gear.

More info: http://www.kk7tv.com

You can write your own review of the KK7TV Communications.

KD5RTY Rating: 0/5 Feb 4, 2007 09:26 Send this review to a friend
poor service  Time owned: months
I sent a ts-430 to randy with poor recieve [antenna problem] a year and a half later after threatening to sue, I finally got my radio back. It was so screwed up [no output.intermittent display] that I JUNKED it.I CANT BELIEVE THIS GUY IS STILL IN BUSINESS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO AN EYEBALL QSO.

NP4H Rating: 0/5 Sep 3, 2006 23:16 Send this review to a friend
POOR SERVICE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sent a TS-940S to KK7TV more than 5 years ago. Radio didn't need major repairs. At one point I was able to speak to him and as another person wrote in his review, I got the "I'll have it fixed" to "the radio is no good". Well, never got radio back and it wasn't even mine. Had to purchase an equivalent radio to the owner. Beware!

W5FAE Rating: 0/5 Aug 4, 2005 16:19 Send this review to a friend
I can't believe how slow  Time owned: more than 12 months
I sent Randy an FT-817 that I purchased that was out of lock on August 14, 2003. I have called him and gotten answers from "I'll have it fixed in a few days". to "It can't be fixed". It is now August 10, 2004 and I still do not even have my radio back yet. At one point, I called and he said he didn't even have my radio in his shop. Luckily, I sent it insured and still have the ticket proving receipt. I have since bought another FT-817 and probably will never see the one I sent him again. I wish I had sent the raio to Yaesu. I at least would have an idea where it is and what condition it is in. If this fellow wants to stay in business, he needs to respond to his customers in a less condiscending way and perform to his word. I wouldn't send him a battery to be charged!

UPDATE:

Today is August 5, 2005 and I still do not have my radio back. I speak with Randy every several months to see if he still has it, he does, but I doubt I'll ever see it again. He has had the radio two years longer that I have!

K7GWD Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2005 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Grounding problem resolved  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an Icom 756 ProII that started to have problems on six meter transmit so I took it to Randy for service. He replaced two diodes under warranty and helped me discover that the problem is in the grounding of the shack. I re-wired the station ground and the problem went away. He was right on. I never would have thought after 10 years that my ground system had become useless. He is very helpful.

KN6Z Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2005 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Helpful 950-SDX advice  Time owned: months
I emailed Randy about a mod I wanted on my 950-SDX. The radio didn't need a mod, it needed an operator with half a clue about how DSP radios work. Randy's helpful remarks led me to the solution to my problem, which was right in the manual. I have listened to randy talking shop on the air many times. I am very impressed with his expertise and will seek him out in future.

N4KVP Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2005 08:13 Send this review to a friend
FT101E  Time owned: months
I emailed Randy concerning a my customer's FT101E that had a strange oscillation in the 12BY7 driver circuit. The driver would go into oscillation in the RX mode driving the finals to self destruction. After several emails back and forth Randy hit upon the problem in short order( a bias losss to the driver). With his assistance I was able to get the radio back on line. Your knowledge and patience is to be commended. Thanks much, Randy!

KK7SS Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Excellent and Timely Service  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My FT-847 was having trouble with intermittent AF and MEM/CH controls. I eMail'd Randy who said he was backlogged but gave me an idea of when he could get to it...
So I sent the rig to Randy with a note explaiining the problem and asking him to replace the controls. He started it within the promised time frame, and called me on the telephine to tell me the controls just needed cleaning (not replacing). I also asked him to put it on frequency at 432 MHz which he did - after waiting for the drift to stop (Nice touch!!). He also noticed a damaged plug on the back of the rig that I'd not picked up on... He sent the rig back in excellent cosmetic condition, double boxed via UPS, and at a very reasonable price.
It's behaving very nicely.. Thanks very much Randy , I greatly appreciate it :-)
I think Yeasu would probably just have replaced the controls without even checking them !!

W5MZM Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2005 21:13 Send this review to a friend
GREAT SERVICE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had yet another breakdown of my 756 Pro II--yes you guessed it--IC151. I purchased an early version of a Pro II and it died after 6 days. I was shipped another (even an earlier serial number yet) after Icom authorized the dealer to ship a replacement. That radio died after about 9 months and it was sent back to Icom America for repair under warranty. The radio had blown IC151. The display also was giving trouble with "warm up" which Icom did nothing about. But I did get a lecture about "SWR too high" or "Static Discharge on the antenna" and a few other insults. This time when the power output went to "0", I decided not to go back to Icom but go to Randy for service. I sent an email to him asking about procedures to send the radio to him and he replied almost immediately. Bottom Line-- I sent the radio to KK7TV for repair knowing that there would be a delay in its return because I had another rig so I wasn't in a hurry to get it back. When the radio was returned, the power output was well up to specs and as a plus, the screen problem seems to be improved better. The charges were less than estimated and I believe (at least for my experience) Randy performed the repairs that he described prior to my shipping the radio. I have another couple of radios that eventually go to Randy for upgrades/repairs. etc. THANKS RANDY!!!

ZL4AI Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2005 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Real Quick and Freely Gave Advice at no cost.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am at the bottom of the world and fixing a complex radio with a known Kenwood expert requires shipping the radio to another copuntry
I am having a problem with intermittant audio on a TS-950SDX. Scoured the net and found another Ham who said Randy had fixed the same problem for him. Also found the suggested repair fix advice, but it was not verified as having an official source. Emailed Randy to ask if this fix was correct. Astonishingly Randy emailed me back within minutes confirming the repair was correct for my problem. Have not undertaken the repair yet, and will post again afterwards. Randy was very quick in freely giving advice, and did not charge for doing so. He was very helpful.

WA4ZYN Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2005 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood TS-930S repair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was unable to find anyone locally to repair the power supply in my Kenwood TS-930S. I found the KK7TV ad in QST, and shot an e-mail off to them. I immediately heard back from Randy with the instructions to "pack it up and send it!" KK7TV repaired my Kenwood TS-930S, and had it back to me via UPS within 2 weeks. The rig looks and operates as new. I am very pleased.