Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu MLS-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MLS-100
Yaesu MLS-100 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $46
Description: High-power external speaker.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MLS-100.

KJ4I Rating: 3/5 May 17, 2015 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Update from previous review  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being that this is an update to my original review I'm only giving it 3 stars based on my initial experience with Yaesu about this speaker. I was able to resurrect the unit with parts I found my self. As stated in my original review, I got about 3 months of use out of it before the speaker went to pot and was delivering nothing but distorted audio. After sending it in to Yaesu under warranty (really not worth the cost of shipping) they did nothing and said the speaker was fine. After having left it in the junk box for a few years I decided to look around and found an oval speaker with the exact dimensions and ratings as the original for about $4 brand new. Been running it now for several months and it works like a champ. Apparently some of the original speakers must have been defective. I don't like to give anything a bad rating if I don't have to because this is a good looking speaker and sounds great when you get a good one. The replacement speaker I found sounds every bit as good if not better than the original. I figured it was worth spending a few dollars on anyway just to be able to use it again.

AF5IU Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2014 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent speaker  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is an excellent speaker. It is built like a tank and made in Japan, NOT China. It is well worth the price. I bought two of them.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great sounding speaker and a perfect compliment to my Yeasu shack.

Could not ask for more

N9YNG Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2012 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality, Excellent Price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these about 18 months ago to use mobile.

I was suprised by its weight and solid construction when I took it out of the box. I had been using that ubquitous Radio Shack Realistic mobile speaker model for my ham/swl/scanner use for 20 years, but I was looking for something more substantial and durable.

The sound quality is excellent. The hard plastic case isn't flimsy, which I think helps with the sound quality. I used it mobile for the better part of a year with no issues, through all the heat of summer and cold of winter. I liked the sound quality enough that I brought it inside and use it in the shack.

I just bought a second one, so I can have one mobile.

I was skeptical of this speaker when I bought it, but I would recommend this speaker to anybody.

RADIOLOVE Rating: 1/5 Oct 29, 2012 10:18 Send this review to a friend
ALSO BROKE AFTER SHORT TIME, UNRELIABLE, YAESU NOT HELPFUL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Speaker sounds great for a while when you first get it but like others here my speaker became defective after a few months of light usage. Speaker sounds distorted like the cone is blown or separated. Yaesu not helpful at all. From my location shipping to them would be almost same cost of buying a new speaker. I will not be buying Yaesu products again. From my experience support and service is just not the way it used to be. Quality also.

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2012 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Really Sounds Clear and Loud  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this external speaker with an ICOM IC-706MKIIG in the mobile, wow does this speaker deliver. Nice balance of lows and highs. Great punch from this heavy - apparently solid speaker. For under $50 this one is a steal!

KF5PFC Rating: 4/5 Jul 21, 2012 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Also broke within 3 months  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Sound quality is fantastic for first three months in a mobile application. Then it sounded like the cone had separated and had lots of noisy static sound whenever it was being used. I opened it up and the cone is still in tact and I have another one so I put it in place of the first and it works fine. Will try to work with Yaesu to get repaired because I very much like the sound of it when it is working.

K6KDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2010 13:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this speaker new from "Ham City" for use with a used FT-897 (non-D) that I use on 2M, 440 & 6M FM mode only.
Sound is clean and sharp, much better that the internal speaker of the used FT-897.
This is the best sounding external speaker that I have used, better than my Kenwood SP-820 with built in filters.

K9YEQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2010 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Great external speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these several years ago and then immediately bought another. I like them so much I got rid of Motorola, and Radio Shack speakers. Sound is great in shack and especially great in the car.

W8HDU Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2010 14:52 Send this review to a friend
Good product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading some of the posts here, I bit and ordered on. I'm happy with it, and will probably buy a couple more to replace other speakers. I tested it for CW compatibility, HF/SSB, and 2-6 meter FM. It had a very clear sound. The bonus to this speaker is its look, which matches my FT857D, as well as the FT8100. In a vehicle with a black dash it looks sharp. Sound wise, it compares to the older "legacy" Motorola (beige) speaker, but I think there is just a tad more highs. My recommendation is if you need a speaker, this should be considered. I got mine for around $53 with tax and shipping from one of the sponsors of this site.