Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu MLS-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu MLS-100
Yaesu MLS-100 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $46
Description: High-power external speaker.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu MLS-100.

K6QT Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2010 03:39 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful speaker!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Everything I could want in a speaker! No problems at all. I am a big fan of external speakers, because I can rarely hear from the tiny little radio speaker. This one is the best.

KC8YPA Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2009 11:22 Send this review to a friend
Plenty loud with windows down.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally decided to get a real speaker after running my FT-7800 audio through a cassette adapter into the car stereo system. I had to run the volume quite high and picked up noise through cassette adapter.

I read the reviews on this speaker and bought one. I went out to the car, hooked up the speaker to the audio cable and set the MLS-100 on the passenger seat to see how it sounded with the windows down at highway speeds. It passed the test with flying colors!

I can have the windows down and the stereo playing at a fairly loud level and can still easily hear any conversations on the MLS-100. I wish I had bought one sooner!

KC0KBC Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2008 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these to go in my F-150 to work with my FT-8800R. I bought it after doing some side by side testing with comparable offerings from Kenwood, Icom, and a couple of no-names. The Yaesu (mine's labeled Vertex) was FAR superior to all but the Icom, which did sound as good but didn't have nearly as nice an appearance or mounting arrangement. After a short bit of use, I think I'm going to buy another MLS-100 to use with my fixed station, an FT-857D.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2008 09:28 Send this review to a friend
Solidly Built with Great Sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
The MLS-100 is solidly built with a heavy plastic housing, just like a Motorola speaker. It has good all around tone, not too bassy or tinny. It generates plenty of volume without too much drive. I have 12 of them (I know, I am a nut). I use them in my vehicles, on my scnanners and some of my amateur rigs in the shack. While it is great on FM, it also works fine on SSB or CW. A previous reviewer noted that the MFJ Cleartone is better for SSB and CW work. Personally, I find the MFJ to be far too tinny to be useful for anything. To each, his own I guess. I have owned most of the mobile speakers put out by Icom, Kenwood and MFJ. The MLS-100 is by far the best mobile speaker that I have used.

W3GFY Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2008 12:54 Send this review to a friend
awsome !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I couldnt be happier. They sound great, none of the "tinny" sound of the cheap (radio shack) ones. I have two, one for the house and one for the car. Very solid construction also. Made of plastic but very it has a very thick, heavy external housing which looks like it can take a real beating. Even with the volume turned all the way up there is no distortion at all.

WA0RJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2008 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was in the market for a station speaker and after reading the reviews for the MLS-100 I decided to check it out. I went to my local Ham emporium and gave it a listen. After listening to it I bought it on the spot. For the price it is excellent. It may be a mobile peaker, but its good enough to use as a base station speaker.!

W6PSA Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2008 10:09 Send this review to a friend
Good Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It hooked this up to my FT-2000 and it works better than the internal speaker. It has a good full sound and a reasonable price.

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2007 19:16 Send this review to a friend
Great and Durable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these, mine is Vertex label. I got from a commericial radio dealer, same speaker as the MLS-100, just the model they sell to public service radio's. It's a nice speaker, heavy duty and has a nice mount that lets you adjust the angle of the speaker, if you see one of these at a good price, buy it!

KD6ANF Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2007 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Great audio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

After finally installing an Icom IC-901 into the vehicle, new speakers were needed suitable for mobile operation. There was a MLS-100 connected to a mobile radio configured for portable operation on display at the HRO in Anaheim, CA.

I must admit, even the background "white noise" from opening the squelch control had a very pleasing tone to the ear. This speaker has plenty of volume, remarkable audio quality and overall fullness of sound. This speaker when connected to my trusty old FT-470 has plenty of loudness to overcome the road noise with the windows down.

NL7FK Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2006 19:41 Send this review to a friend
This is a REAL Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally a communications speaker that one can actually hear. Yaesu/Vertex hit the mark with this speaker.

There is no tinny sound here as compared to other mobile speakers. This speaker has some bass and is a true full range speaker. The speaker is large and the mount is top notch. This speaker should last a lifetime.

I first used the speaker in the mobile and liked it so much I moved it into the shack.
I do agree that the speaker is probably best suited for FM communications although I have used it on HF mobile with good results.

For a mobile speaker you are going to have to look long and hard to find a better sounding speaker and if you do find one expect to pay double the price.