Reviews Categories | Antenna Rotators & Accessories | Yaesu 1000SDX Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu 1000SDX
Yaesu 1000SDX Reviews: 28 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 23.5 sq. ft. wind load rotator
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/rotator.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu 1000SDX.

N4JBK Rating: 2/5 May 11, 2004 10:40 Send this review to a friend
not what they should be  Time owned: more than 12 months
These rotors command quite a price for no more than they are. The aluminum housings are brittle and several friends of mine have broken them when trying to tighten the mast down. The rotors are very succeptable to lightning and once damaged no one but yaesu will work on them.Unfortunately I currently am using 2 of these rotors and both of them allow the antennas to slip in strong winds. If you through bolt the masts be prepared to replace the rotor because its guts will be on the ground soon.The control boxes look great and I think most of the complaints would be gone of the housing was steel instead of that cheesy aluminum.

KE2FE Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2004 19:32 Send this review to a friend
burned out transformer in the rotor control box  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been operating with the 1000sdx for over a year turning a Cushcraft a4. The power transformer in the controller burned out its primary and caused a dead short. Not an easy controller to find on the trade nets. We have ordered another transformer from Yaesu, but have not heard from them. Transformers should not short out in the 1 year time it has been in the station.

K1HC Rating: 1/5 Feb 19, 2004 22:35 Send this review to a friend
NOT pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine failed after only a few years on the tower, rotating a Force 12 C-3, a Force 12 EF-706, and a Cushcraft 17B2, totalling well under the square foot rating. It had intermittent indicator problems before a complete failure occurred.

I bought a M2 2800 to replace it. Save your money and buy that! Yes, it is $1200, but it will last.

K4GLM Rating: 1/5 Feb 3, 2004 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Flimsy, overrated  Time owned: more than 12 months
I helped the local university radio club replace this rotor. It was turning a 5 element beam about 23 feet long. I had no clue why it failed, though it did last over a year.
I dissasembled the unit, to try to learn why it failed. In my opinion ( I am a mechanic, 30 plus years of fixing things that break), the failure was of the gear carrier frame, and subsequently everything else. The frame is thin pot metal, or soft aluminum based casting. It is held by three 6mm thread screws on a circle of maybe 5 inches. This can't hold much torque, or windload.
On the plus side, the controls have a very smooth sweet touch.
But for my money, I prefer rugged, reliable, durable. And since I find this quite the opposite, I can't recomend it.
Sincerely, Shannon Boal
K4GLM

NT4I Rating: 0/5 Jan 26, 2004 09:31 Send this review to a friend
JUNK!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one that crapped out after 6 months so I bought another. BIG MISTAKE! It lasted about 8 months and died. I only have half of the rated wind load in antennas.
Stay away from this one!

F6DUK Rating: 1/5 Jan 26, 2004 06:52 Send this review to a friend
early death  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using a HAM 3 for over 20 years I decided to go for a Yeasu G1000 SDX Nice control Box Rotor looks good. First surprise are the plain steel mounting screws I replaced them with stainless steel screws before mounting. After a bit less then 3 years it gave up with a gear breakdown. Antenna is a Titanex dlp15 I will return to Hygain and its break system

K8DXX Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2003 09:16 Send this review to a friend
Another Vote of Confidence  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine has handled a Force-12 C4EXL (11 element, 30 foot boom 40 - 10 meter) antenna for almost 3 years. We have had some severe winter wind storms that have caused other rotors in the neighborhood to free wheel. No problems whatsoever. This unit is mounted inside a 12 foot Glenn Martin roof tower with a 10 foot steel mast extending through a G/M thrust bearing. So far, so good!

KB4QLZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2003 06:19 Send this review to a friend
A+  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent rotor. Turns a Force12 C19-XR with out any problems. Antenna stays put in high winds.

KU7I Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2003 07:17 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine is turning a 4 ele 5 band quad on a 24 ft boom. I have the rotor inside tower mounted and use a thrust bearing. It has been installed now for a few weeks and it seems to work as designed. I turned the rotation speed down to abt a 1/3 of the way just to not over stress the rotor. I hope it lasts. The manual wiring of the cable harness is not a fun job but once you start you can have it all done in less than two hours. DOUBLE CHECK YOUR PIN OUTS!!! AN ERROR CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE TO THE ROTOR!!!

W5GM Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2003 14:10 Send this review to a friend
Great rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this rotor for over a year and it is so much better than the CDE/Hygain junk. I love the fact that it doesn't have a brake that you have to jack with. I think its better to let the rotor dissapate some of the stress of the windload, you just have to keep an eye on the control box in heavy winds so you can point your array into the wind.