Reviews Categories | Receivers: Weather Alert | Oregon Scientific WR102 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Oregon Scientific WR102 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio
Oregon Scientific WR102 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $69.95
Description: When traveling, boating, hiking, or working outdoors, Oregon Scientific's portable S.A.M.E. Weather Radio helps make sure you have the information you need to stay safe. Broadcasts tornado and storm alerts, forecasts, and warnings that could save your life. It can also be programmed to broadcast information pertinent to your local area only-- or other areas you're interested in (up to six specific areas of your choice). Water resistant construction and superior Oregon Scientific technology make this the rugged choice for staying informed in outdoor conditions.
More info: http://www2.oregonscientific.com/noaa/wr102.html

You can write your own review of the Oregon Scientific WR102 S.A.M.E. Weather Radio.

K8JHR Rating: 4/5 Jul 10, 2012 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Good Enough - No problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a small, portable weather radio and it works well enough. Somehow, I cannot say it is outstanding, although I have no complaints with it. This is a good tool for your camping and emergency toolbox, and it does what claims to do. It goes a long way on batteries, I use rechargeable NiMH batteries which tend to lose power over time just on their own, but the radio almost always fires right up and works fine even though I have not recharged them for a few months. I conclude, therefore, latent battery consumption must be very low and it is a fairly efficient circuit.

Good enough, just not super, I guess. I do recommend it.

// K8JHR //

KC9JMX Rating: 4/5 Aug 9, 2006 22:03 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for about a year. I think its a great product, easy to program and use. I can recieve about 4 channels on it.

Only downfall is that it does like to eat batteries. Get the AC adapter.

N9ESH Rating: 2/5 Mar 3, 2004 02:39 Send this review to a friend
Died in 5 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well, it worked for about 5 months. Now only the AM and FM sections work. No weather band at all. An autopsy revealed that one of the RF pre-amp transistors went south. There are two of them and they are both SMD's. This unit was located upstairs away from the shack. So RF was not the culprit.

N9ESH Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2003 23:04 Send this review to a friend
Works for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Personally, I find programming this radio a real pain. Donít loose the instruction sheet. Even though it is not very well written, you will be lost without it. (I have mine taped to the back of the radio.) The clock with dual alarms and snooze function and AM-FM radio are things I can do without. The back-up batteries donít last too long without AC power.

Good points? This weather radio is very sensitive. Using a 7Ē wire plugged into the ANT jack, I can pick up at least 3 different NOAA stations. Two of which are full quieting. All are 20+ miles away.

The alert function activates reliably. (Once NOAA made a mistake and sent out the test signal at 5:10AM!!) Its audio can be set loud enough to wake most sleepers up.

I do like the built-in temperature display and the flashing red/green warning led bar.

All in all, it is a nice, handy radio.

KD5ZEQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 5, 2003 18:55 Send this review to a friend
Works great but eats batteries  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this unit for about two years. I realized early on that it would go through batteries in about two days if left on. Since leaving it on at home was my goal I purchased an after-market power supply. This is a great portable sized unit.
The S.A.M.E. codes are readily available on the National Weather Service Site. If I travel, I get the codes for where I'll be and program them in.

KG4WBM Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2003 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Small and easy to program radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is an excellent choice for someone that is on the run a lot or likes to carry a weather radio with them. It is very easy to program and set up. Would definitely recommend this to anyone. I have no trouble with it and the directions are easy to understand.