Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Grundig S350 AM/FM/SW World Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Grundig S350 AM/FM/SW World Receiver
Grundig S350 AM/FM/SW World Receiver Reviews: 73 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $100.00
Description: Continuous coverage from 2.3 to 27.41 mHz shortwave; medium wave band; FM band
More info: http://www.grundigradio.com/asp/Product.asp?productname=s350&function=overview

You can write your own review of the Grundig S350 AM/FM/SW World Receiver.

KD5SPJ Rating: 4/5 May 30, 2013 07:57 Send this review to a friend
Overall a great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got mine yesterday. I spent last night listening round the bands and found hundreds of stations. Conditions were not the best, but workable. Mine doesn't drift at all. It is the 450DL model, brand new from RS got it for 10% off and another 10$ off so scouped it up at 74 dollars new! Mine also does NOT have the loose feel to the tuning knob, in fact it is nicely snug and provides a very tactile good drag.

Love the radios looks and sound is excellent for a single speaker middle of that raod sized SW radio. I am going to pick up a Grundig AN200 for it for grins but am using the antenna I made (50ft wire) swapping it between the 450 and my old SX-62A for listening. Works well. I will say the internal antenna isn't BAD.

KD5SPJ Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2013 21:00 Send this review to a friend
All around a really nice raido  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would have givin this radio a 5 if it did the two things I feel are missing at this price point. SSB and AIR band! Why oh WHY can they put all the features of this radio and those two features on their less expensive G3 (which I also have) and NOT on this way nicer bigger radio?

I had read all the reviews and though since I could get this on sale at Radio Shack for a pittance ($74.95) after a 10% discount and 10.00 off, I thought why not try it? I am glad I did. I have only had it for 10 hours, but it is NOT the flimsey feeling radio some have said it is. It has a NICE tactile feel to it, and the tuning knob is very much tight and NICE. All the knobs are except the band width knob which feels SLIGHTLY looser than the rest and is a notch off.

Receiver is sensitive so far for the SW bands I have listened to and I will update my review as I scan more bands and see what goes. I have it hooked up to a 50ft copper 14ga wire antenna so I will play with antennas as well over the next weeks.

K7RTA Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2012 20:09 Send this review to a friend
very nice radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i really enjoy this radio. the audio delivery is crisp and clear, the controls are easy to use and i have had no problems with drifting. i am very pleased with this purchase.

KB2NZO Rating: 0/5 Sep 11, 2011 09:44 Send this review to a friend
crap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
GOT MY S350DL NEW,AND PAID $87 NOT HAPPY. IT DRIFTS
DISPLAY JUMPS IN KCS JUST CRAP.

ZOTZPLC Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2011 05:30 Send this review to a friend
Very nice SWL radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of the older model S350 (not DL) radios from a local thrift store for $5. It was not terribly pretty, but it worked when I got it home. Had to go buy a power supply for it too (went back to the same thrift store and found one that worked for $2). So for $7 total I am sitting here with an older Grundig S350. Not bad!

I had my doubts when I saw it because of some of the things that others had said here at eHam about this radio. Is mine drifty like so many others have claimed? Yes indeed! But it seems to me every analog SW radio I've ever owned and loved -- including an almighty Panasonic RF-2200, I might say -- was drifty to some greater or lesser extent. My S350 is certainly no worse than average. I think some of the complaints about the S350's drifting may have to do with the fact that it actually has a digital readout, which, perhaps *not* to the radio's advantage, shows exactly how many kHz you've drifted off from your target frequency. I wonder if many old-school analog radios with standard dials and needles drifted just as much, but it was harder to tell with that big wide needle and those little bitty numbers behind it. Just a thought...

Well anyway, sound-wise the S350 is very good, and my dials, though plastic (so were the RF-2200's), all work a-OK. None of my pots were noisy and the RF gain actually works great. It is VERY sensitive too, with just the whip antenna: I found the best way to use it on SW is to set the RF gain to about 3-4 and then search the bands. Setting the gain any higher just brings up all sorts of noise everywhere. FM sensitivity is incredible also. I actually had to put the whip all the way down to keep the local NPR affiliate from being buried by bleed-over from the local FM pop station.

My only complaint is, gee whiz, I wish it had a BFO...but whaddaya want for $7? In summary, I am quite pleased, and I think I would be even if I'd paid $70 for it instead (though for that sort of scratch, I'd expect to get a wall wart too). Guess I musta got a good one, huh?

K4AXF Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2011 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Whadayawantforahunerdbucks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my Grundig S350DL used, but like-new condition, from Universal Radio for $60. I was bummed at first by the tuning knob which had a lot of wobble and backlash (like the old dial cord days). After playing with it a while I realized that the "backlash" was mainly in the outer, coarse tuning ring on the concentric knob. By using the coarse tuning just to get to the frequency range I wanted then switching to the fine tuning (inner knob) to tune within the chosen band, things went a lot better. If the tuning knob slop were fixed I would give this radio a 5.0.

Currently I also own a Drake SW-8 and a Statellit 800. Also a couple of HF transceivers with general coverage that I also use for SWL. I have never had a pocket AM-FM-SW portable that I liked well enough to keep. For me the S350DL nicely fills in the portable radio niche.

The big speaker gives the nicest sound this side of a Satellit 800. Once a station is tuned in it doesn't drift off (the earlier, plain S350 evidently had a bad drifting problem - which seems to be fixed in the -DL version).

It works well as an alarm clock if you use FM. But not on SW; it will not come up frequency for the shortwave station to which you tuned the night before.

The frequency display is sometimes a couple of kHz off.

The narrow-wide bandpass switch actually works better than any other portable I've used.

I haven't figured out what the LP (low pass?) filter is supposed to do.

Shortwave sensitivity and selectivity are good.

AM reception is good.

FM reception is very good.

It feels good and solid.

My wife thinks it looks great.

It's a fun radio to tune around on, stopping to listen a while when the program is interesting.

So at $100 I think it's a really good radio. Even better at $60!

BXLISTENER Rating: 1/5 Jan 22, 2011 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Missed opportunity  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought the Eton S350DL version of this radio. It sounds great and D cells last forever but after that it's all bad news. The drift has to be seen to be believed. I had mine on a table by a window on a cloudy day, the sun came out and shone on the radio. It drifted down frequency by 5kHz in 20 minutes!!! After a few months the tuning became erratic and eventually went totally haywire so I scrapped the radio. If Eton just used better quality compenents then this radio would have been great for broadcast listening. I also had the flagship E1, great radio untill the screen died about 18 months after I bought it. Thanks Eton! I see they are bringing out a new model, the S450 DLX or something. Early reviews suggest the same old QC and durability issues. I'll never buy another Eton product again.

OLDSWLSD Rating: 2/5 Dec 20, 2010 04:53 Send this review to a friend
For casual listening only.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up my DL model about 2 1/2 years ago cheap at a rummage and was underwhelmed when I got it home and started using it.

The sloppy tuning dial problem I've seen others here mention was present in mine but I found that pushing on the dial to re-seat it solved the problem . The tuning does jump quite a few KHz when coming off lock but overall I've found it well behaved after that.

MW is where this radio shines, great tone and even in the basement sensitive enough to pull in fringe stations without the image frequency problems on the HF bands.

I rarely listen to FM so I can't say much about that band.

HF with the internal whip is good with some birdies here and there but connecting an external antenna of any length overloads the front end even with a high-pass filter to remove the local MW signals. Intermods and images quickly outweigh any gain in signal unless I'm using a homebrew active antenna with a tight preselector.

Mine has been relegated to a shelf in the shop where it's used mostly for local MW listening while I'm working on other projects and will probably be on Ebay before long.

KB0XR Rating: 2/5 Jan 9, 2010 05:26 Send this review to a friend
Drifter  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my original 350 on Ebay. It arrived from overseas with japanese labels on the controls. I found an English manual on line and figured out how to run it. Also purchases was a 110v/220v wall wart. The radio is plenty sensitive but the drift problem is really frustrating. I also don't like the tuning jumping 3-5 khz everytime you touch the knob. It's sitting on a shelf out in the garage. I understand the newer versions are better in frequency stability so I guess I jumped the gun when the original was introduced. About $80 wasted I guess. Wasn't the first time and I am sure it won't be the last time I got hosed.

VK2IMM Rating: 3/5 Jan 8, 2010 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice but not without issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a S350DL version of this receiver.

Clearly it has some decent features that work well i.e wide and narrow bandwidth options, bass and treble controls, RF Gain. I am also impressed by decent size of the whip antenna which is about 1m long,. Speaker sound is nice.

Reception is quite good on SW bands up to 15 MHz at least. Sensitivity is getting somewhat low above that. FM bands and AM MW performance is good also.

There are couple of things which disappoint me a lot. Tuning dial is rather “loose”, moves left and right and up and down and does not have a precise feel at all. In addition to that frequency may simply jump by several KHz in some cases during tuning that makes it hard to get to some exact frequency as you may end up either above or below it. If this is a design issue or my receiver is simply faulty I don’t know as I have not disassembled it to investigate the problem. When placed onto right frequency stability is decent 10-15 minutes after turning receiver on. It may well keep the frequency within a Khz during an hour or two of listening.

There is also an issue with images and stations are quite audible just over 900 Khz below broadcast frequency.

Many interesting stations could be heard with a whip antenna. AM HAM stations on 3.8 MHz, RTTY stations on 14 Mhz. SSB and CW can’t be demodulated completely as there is no such mode option but presence of many stations can be heard on amateur bands.

If not the issue with a tuning dial I think this is a rather decent inexpensive receiver for short wave bands as well as for MW and VHF broadcasts. Short wave’s performance seems to be a bit lower comparing with an ATS-909 that I had about 8 years ago and where none of the mentioned problems had been observed.