Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Plus 3 Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Plus 3
Turner Plus 3 Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $75 in 1972
Description: Amplified Desk Mic

You can write your own review of the Turner Plus 3.

N8FVJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2017 20:42 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a very good microphone. It had a built-in audio compressor circuit. Perfect for older radios without a processor. These microphones are old and get bassy sounding. It is not the element, it is the 50 year old capacitors.

Replace capacitors with Silmic II electrolytic audio quality capacitors. Also, get those two .47uF trashy titanium caps out. Use CDE 715 Orange Drop polypropylene to replace the titanium & will fit even if 10x larger. The mic will now produce crisp highs & sound even better than new in the early 1970s.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 15:12 Send this review to a friend
Grab one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I loved them in the 1970 CB era. Now I paired one up with my Drake T4XC, Yaesu FT-102, Yaesu FT-736R. It beats the D104 and Heil PR-781. Ceramic cartridge with the compressor amp make for a terrific sound. Rugged, great style. Keep a watch out for them at hamfests and Craig's list. Used in good condition at $50 is a fair price.
The Turner CS1 (Custom Special 1) is the same mic in a gold skin.

SM6OWJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 03:15 Send this review to a friend
A great microphone  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great microphone with a clear and strong audio. I use it with my Yaesu FTDX3000.
I didn't like the inbuilt compression. By a slight modification it was easy to bypass the compression feedback. Now it sounds even better.

I also modified the gain control to a fixed value, because it was adjusted by mistake several times.

ONAIR Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2015 20:36 Send this review to a friend
This and the +2 are classics!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great mike, and makes it easy to increase your audio level. The +3 and the Turner +2 are classics, and were both very popular with the CB crowd back in the day! Unfortunately many CBers removed the original Turner microphone element and substituted it for the cheap ones that were sold by Radio Shack and Lafayette Radio back in the "60s and '70s.

KD0CPH Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2015 14:44 Send this review to a friend
awesome mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
best mic i've found especially for the price you can find one for. constant reports of great audio and always " what kind of radio and mic are you using.have one on my Ft 2000 yaesu also one on my kenwood ts 2000 and a turner plus 2 on my old yaesu ft 101.GREAT mic!!!

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2014 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Addendum  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After further use, I must say I am gratified with the performance of this mic, but usually too embarrassed to tell them what it is! Used with a modern Ten Tec rig. No rig compression. Gain set carefully and watching ALC and not close talking. I get constant "your audio sounds great" from other stations. Seems to break more pileups, barefoot. I have lots of fancy mics for when I want smoothness and Hi Fi, but they do not get the unsolicited praises! 4 of 5 cause it needs a battery and is short on desk. Lean over. Maybe easily moded to take 8-10V from the radio, with the 8 pin conn. used. Mic schematics are online

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Jul 3, 2014 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Suprised by it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Always lumped amplified desk mics together with horrible noises heard on CB radio, you know, distortion, splatter, background noise, and awful racket. So that was probably a lesson in misuse of most of them. Tried this Turner out for fun after reading all these reviews. Compared to my "smooth hi-fi" mics, it cuts through better with clarity and is like free power for busting pileups and QRM. This entails using it correctly, though. With my rig, I sat the pot about 1/8" off of the minimum setting. The compression feature is totally independent of output level setting. Best to monitor your TX and talk 2-4 inches away when setting it up. Real close talking will really overwork the compr. and sound hollow and overcompressed. I get great reports when used correctly. You could add a resistive divider on the output, inside, so the gain pot is not so critical. Very worthwhile SSB mic to try, as it turns out. You should try it with rig processing off, first. You can switch back to your hi fi mic for rag chews and ideal conditions.

NU0C Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2014 10:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent sounding mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
These mics are sleepers, if you find one at a garage sale or 'fest cheap, buy it! The Turner +3 series is the same cartridge and body as the sought-after Drake 7075, but with a compression amplifier added. Yes, it has actual compression, I have the factory prints to prove it! I would love to have been in the room to see someone tell Bob Drake he had a CB mic.

As a general rule I discourage the use of pre-amped mics with ham rigs unless the rig is designed to require one. They cause more problems than they solve. If you have a rig that has no speech processing or compression built-in, this is a good solution. Or you can disconnect the amplifier and drive a high impedance mic input with the "bare" mic and you will essentially have a Drake 7075.

As with any active mic you need to be very careful not to over drive your radio. Use good mic-ing techniques and speak across the mic at a distance of no more than about 2 inches. Watch your peaks and keep the level to the minimum necessary. Resist the temptation to lean back in your easy chair and talk at arm's length from the mic, that's just bad mojo.

I compared this mic against a host of others on my Drake TR-7; Shure 444, Turner 254 and 454HC, Drake 7077 (Astatic), E-V 729 and 927, and D-104/T-UGxx with the amplifier removed and a 470K series resistor in it's place. On-air comparisons were made with friends who know my voice. The favorite was the Turner +3 series, with the D-104 on the modified T-UGxx stand a close second.

In regular usage I often get unsolicited reports of great audio. It doesn't get much better than this. If you want to spend the money on a Heil or other fancy mic, go for it. But don't pass one of these up because someone told you it is a junk CB mic.

If you don't care for the hammertone gray of the original +3, the +3B is the same thing in black. If neither of those are to your liking, I know a guy who does powder coat mic repaints.

DO9GB Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2012 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Amazing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Turner Super Sidekick for over 30 years now and was using it for working Satellites amongst others. Sound is great, but the FT-847 disables speech processor in SAT mode, so I was looking for a microphone with even more punch.

I bought a Turner +3 on ebay for 50 . It has the same clear modulation, but even more punch, due to its compressor circuit. It is really fun hearing yourself back from HAMSAT or the like. The audio is brutal :-)

KK4EQE Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2011 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Loud & Clear!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was given two Turner + 3 desktop microphones from a friend, ill be completely honest i did not like the way they looked. I knew they were old & i gave one to a ham buddy of mine. I kept the other to try it on my RCI-2995dx 10-12 meter base unit, what did i have to lose i didnt pay anything for it. My buddy & i wired it to my 10 meter rig & WOW this mic can walk the walk! I was amazed at the way this mic sounded. I would have never expected such clear audio out of an old mic but nice on AM & Beautiful on SSB. I loved it so much i bought a Turner M+3B handheld for the mobile brand new in the box on ebay. Got lucky with that one! Its a shame this mic is not made anymore :-( Its a keeper for sure! 73s from KK4EQE