Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Plus 3 Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Plus 3
Turner Plus 3 Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $75 in 1972
Description: Amplified Desk Mic

You can write your own review of the Turner Plus 3.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2008 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Great for my CB Days  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it on my Cobra 139XLR.

I bought a NIB one a few years back just to have as a reminder of the good old days in 1977.

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have oneof these great old mic. In fact it is still hooked to my old 1980s era Cobra 142 GTL. (Yes i still have a CB to talk to my non ham buds.) The mic was made back in 1975 and still works like new. Its beat and scuffed but it works great. I also have a Turner plus 2 that is well over 30 years old and it even works like new. Its too bad they are not made anymore..

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2007 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Communications Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I believe that the Turner +3 is possibly the finest pure communications microphone ever made. It will drive any radio, has clear audio, and is loud. The only draw back is the battery and possible circuit problems. However, many of these are 30 plus years old and are still going strong. Also, it's not too difficult to keep spare batteries or just power it from the radio. This mic really fits the old saying that " They just don't make em' like they used to". It doesn't have the frequency response of the PR-40, or the great looks of the D-104, but it will talk rings around both of them. Put it to use during a pile-up and you'll see what I mean. For pure communicating, this mic is hard to beat. I own over fifty microphones. If I could only keep one for radio use, it would be the +3. No other mic I'm aware of will out-talk it.

DODGER1094 Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Ole Mic, best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I need the internal wiring, I was changing the coil wire and didnt get it back together correctly, I need a photo of the wiring inside the base.
I have had it since 1973, and its been a loyal friend, I get great reports on audio quality even when I am not asking for it, standard is ( what mic are you useing ) it sounds good.
I hope it never dies. I have replaced the cartridge once, but it keeps on ticking

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Can a 30 year old mike still amaze?  Time owned: months
Use mine on my restored yaesu FT-101E. It has a crispness, clarity and power that helps me to be heard without using a amplifier.

Is it a super accurate , curl our toes, mid-bass enhancer mike?

Hell No!

What the Plus 3 ( and for that matter the SSK, +2, Expander 500 , etc) is , is a well made easy to key example of mid America ( Iowa ) craftmanship that has been replaced by Far East mass production.

It really modulates older rigs , be they tube or early transistor/Microprocessor.

If you can find one for under $70 I would buy it. Place a piece of tissue behind mike element to "tame" any excessive crispness, if you want to dampen it's tone.

Great old CB glory days mike with metal case and Chrome housing, plus a big old fat coiled cord.

Middle Class American craftwork that is now gone.

Buy one

VE3WMI Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2007 10:41 Send this review to a friend
I have two of them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of them and I found them to be great, although I have been having problems it the mic to on the Icom 751, there peformance on the air is still good.

But I am in need of schematic diagram for the amplifier board in order to repair the second one. Does anyone have a copy that I could have???.

Ivan --- VE3WMI

DM7IC Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2006 17:17 Send this review to a friend
Strong and clear  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had to put some Toilettepaper behind the Mic Capsula, to change the Audio charackteristic for SSB and till figuring that out the Audio didnt sound well on SSB. I used it with my Icom IC-765. My Friends said bombing Audio and very good to understand, always got good Audio Reports. Even when the Signals were very weak, people could read me in the noise. Best Mic for all uses I had untill now. None of any modern Mics come close to it!

W4HWD Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2005 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Great mic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used one on an old Cobra 85 23ch base CB back in 1983...put it on my Swan 270B when I got first licensed in 1989 (my 1st HF rig - a loaner from a local club), then my TS-130S then my TS-440S...tons of unsolicited compliments on my audio! If you can find one get it! A better mic than even the venerable D-104 in my opinion. Actually, the only desk mic that I have found that is as good as the +3 is the Kenwood MC-60A.

VK2YDD Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2005 03:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi. Bought this Mic from a garage sale for $5.00. The body of the mic is in poor condition but the performance is great. It is a power mic so after i installed the 9v battery i connected to my Kenwood TS-440s and it worked a treat. Was getting good audio reports. The mic gain pot is sensetive and i found the 9 O'clock position was best.

If you see one cheap, get it..

KG6POG Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2004 01:13 Send this review to a friend
+3 & new HF rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Kenwood TS 480HX. The stock microphones doesn't sound bad, but I really wanted to see if the +3 would do it's magic on a new HF radio, the answer is yes.

I have been repeatedly been told the radio sounds great with the Turner on it. I have a Heil HM-5 that came with the radio coming in the mail and was going to replace the +3 with the Heil. Anyway I was telling someone that I expected to swap out the +3 when the Heil got here and I was told, "don't do it!" The person I was talking to really got a kick out of the idea I was running a 20 to 30 year old Turner +3 on a new Kenwood and the microphone sounding as good as it did. He said he would guarantee that the +3 would beat the sound of the Heil microphone.

Others have said the audio was excellent, clean, clear and loud without overdriving the radio. I havenít had anyone say a bad word about the audio with the +3 in the month since I wired it to the Kenwood.

I canít tell what it sounds like on the air, but when I record something on the digital recorder on the radio, the Turner is more articulate than the stock microphone by a considerable amount.

Naturally I will use the Heil, do some recordings and try to get side-by-side comparisons on the air. But for now the +3 is what Iím using.

Now I have to get a side by side with a Super Sidekick.