Reviews Categories | Microphones | Turner Plus 3 Help

Reviews Summary for Turner Plus 3
Turner Plus 3 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $75 in 1972
Description: Amplified Desk Mic

You can write your own review of the Turner Plus 3.

N3VZ Rating: 4/5 May 28, 2010 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Very Well So Far  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have one of these and the performance seems to be good with my Icom 751a.

I have yet to try it with my Yaesu FT-920 as Im using the Heil Microphone with that radio.

After a thorough test and evaluation period, I should have more to say about them

N3VZ (The REAL N3VZ, ACCEPT NO FAKES OR IMITATIONS)

K4SPS Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2010 21:43 Send this review to a friend
Auditorily, nothing else comes close  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just wired up an old E-bay Turner +3 to my new Kenwood TS-480HX. Got the mic for $30.

I used an old ethernet cable (picked up from the local thrift store) for the 'modular plugs' that so many new radios have gone to. When I buy a used, common ethernet cable, I can get two modular plugs for $1.50! Forget the $30 add on cables from Heil, etc.

With schematics and plug diagrams from the web, wiring it was done in 15 minutes. It works perfectly and is brilliant sounding. It has golden audio, and I can transmit much more comfortably from a relaxed position with this mic.

I discovered the theoretical virtues of this old microphone from perusing these eham reviews and I must say, they were right on.

I am more satisfied with this mic than any others I have tried. And for a fraction of the price of a Heil Gm or Kenwood M-60 desk mic.

THESE EHAM REVIEWS ARE THE GREATEST! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. 73'S FROM K4SPS (soon - N3VZ)

KC9HVA Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2009 15:57 Send this review to a friend
good old + 3  Time owned: more than 12 months
i used it on my johnson 223 and hr2510 and now its on the ic718 and still going strong

VK5FDAV Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2008 00:08 Send this review to a friend
GODS MICROPHONE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, apart from being built like a bullet and using simple leaf switches that never seem to fail, This mic is in my opinion the best microphone ever made for radio communications.
I have heard many other famous mics like the "shure" & "heil" and such, and although these other mics might look nicer and appear to have better specs, they dont come close to acturately reproducing the human voice as the turner does.
Once in a while a company will produce something wether it be a car, a Hi-Fi, a marvel of construction, or a new wheel. And the turner +3 is no exception! I think of the turner +3 as the 8th wonder of the world, as they are still yet to make a mic the equals or betters it in performance.

DL7ISA Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2008 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Power Mic  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Traded it for an old 2m mobile Transceiver. This Mic is LOUD and proud! On SSB this Mic sounds better with a Foam Cap. I have yet to find a better Mic.

VE4MM Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2008 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Great for my CB Days  Time owned: more than 12 months
Used it on my Cobra 139XLR.

I bought a NIB one a few years back just to have as a reminder of the good old days in 1977.

K9FON Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have oneof these great old mic. In fact it is still hooked to my old 1980s era Cobra 142 GTL. (Yes i still have a CB to talk to my non ham buds.) The mic was made back in 1975 and still works like new. Its beat and scuffed but it works great. I also have a Turner plus 2 that is well over 30 years old and it even works like new. Its too bad they are not made anymore..

KC0GSB Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2007 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Communications Mic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I believe that the Turner +3 is possibly the finest pure communications microphone ever made. It will drive any radio, has clear audio, and is loud. The only draw back is the battery and possible circuit problems. However, many of these are 30 plus years old and are still going strong. Also, it's not too difficult to keep spare batteries or just power it from the radio. This mic really fits the old saying that " They just don't make em' like they used to". It doesn't have the frequency response of the PR-40, or the great looks of the D-104, but it will talk rings around both of them. Put it to use during a pile-up and you'll see what I mean. For pure communicating, this mic is hard to beat. I own over fifty microphones. If I could only keep one for radio use, it would be the +3. No other mic I'm aware of will out-talk it.

DODGER1094 Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Ole Mic, best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I need the internal wiring, I was changing the coil wire and didnt get it back together correctly, I need a photo of the wiring inside the base.
I have had it since 1973, and its been a loyal friend, I get great reports on audio quality even when I am not asking for it, standard is ( what mic are you useing ) it sounds good.
I hope it never dies. I have replaced the cartridge once, but it keeps on ticking

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2007 20:43 Send this review to a friend
Can a 30 year old mike still amaze?  Time owned: months
Use mine on my restored yaesu FT-101E. It has a crispness, clarity and power that helps me to be heard without using a amplifier.

Is it a super accurate , curl our toes, mid-bass enhancer mike?

Hell No!

What the Plus 3 ( and for that matter the SSK, +2, Expander 500 , etc) is , is a well made easy to key example of mid America ( Iowa ) craftmanship that has been replaced by Far East mass production.

It really modulates older rigs , be they tube or early transistor/Microprocessor.

If you can find one for under $70 I would buy it. Place a piece of tissue behind mike element to "tame" any excessive crispness, if you want to dampen it's tone.

Great old CB glory days mike with metal case and Chrome housing, plus a big old fat coiled cord.

Middle Class American craftwork that is now gone.

Buy one