Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Uniden BC250D Digital Scanner Help

Reviews Summary for Uniden BC250D Digital Scanner
Uniden BC250D Digital Scanner Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $369.00
Description: First handheld scanner to receive APCO25 compliant digital trunking systems, as well as digital conventional systems. 1000 channels in 10 banks, 25-1300 MHz coverage minus cellular
More info: http://www.uniden.com

You can write your own review of the Uniden BC250D Digital Scanner.

VE3VWX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2006 22:56 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent scanner for a first generation digital, second generation trunk tracking.

Uniden sort of listened to the scanner enthusiasts complaints but did not remove those useless lists which just waste space. I am not sure why, but they tried to copy Motorola with their list function showing that they do not truly understand the Motorola systems since Motorola does not actually use lists.

Other than that, once you put in the digital card you will be blown away by the quality and the error correction of the digital systems.

Other than that, it is not an overly complex radio (as far as scanners go). I do strongly suggest using a computer to program it as alpha tags quickly make programming a tedious but well deserved task.

Only complaint is a lack of memory, 1000 channels is just not enough. Several years ago, 300 barely meet the quota and after many suggestions they finally gave us 1000 just when that is barely enough (at least they corrected that with the 996T).

All in all, an excellent scanner and a good buy.

K2NCC Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 19:24 Send this review to a friend
Best handheld scanner I've ever owned!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
No problems, a pleasure to use. Easy to program and the PC software, though not feature-rich, was a breeze to setup and use. Didn't need the digital features, but the trunking is a definite. Wide coverage and easy-to-read display. I was suprised by the reception on just a 'rubber ducky' antenna.

As with most reviews here, I am very pleased!

K6MTT Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2004 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Love it, love it, love it!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had scanners since the early 70's and this is just the best handheld yet. I don't have a need for digital - but did want trunking - and this is a great handheld for that. I also have a BC780XLT which I also think is the best thing since sliced bread for mobile use.

The display is great, and the backlit keyboard is fabulous compared to most dim displays and lack of backlit keys on other radios.

By way of comparison, I also have a PRO-92, and although it's plenty decent, the quirkiness of quickly locking in and out of the trunk IDs is very cumbersome. I much prefer Uniden's implentation of trunk scanning.

I think Uniden made a quantum leap in scanners with the '780 and '250 family, not only in performance but also in design.

ROBBIT1 Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2003 17:33 Send this review to a friend
I can not imagine a Scanner that could "Please you MORE"!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not having owned a Scanner before,I certainly put a heavy burden on this 250D!That is;For 10 weeks I pushed every button and "took it to its limits" as only a NOVICE could do! Of coarse, after many trials and errors, I started getting a "Clue" as to what was goin on! Anyways, after abusing this Scanner for over 2 months now I've come to some conclusions!That is; it has preformed without intermission and it has NOT missed a beat!It has definitly tolerated and excused all of my abuse, and it's been forgiving!
I give this scanner a #5 not based upon my previous experience with Scanners; But, with the performance and expectations that have been truly realized with this Model!
During the past 2 months I have enter over 480 frequencys,and have 3 Trunking Banks! The Scanner has preformed flawlessly between Conventional and Trunk Tracking Modes;And has Executed ALL of its
"SAID FEATURES" without hesitatation!
The Quality of sound has been very Good with little to NO distortion in the transmissions!
I am very happy to have chossen this particular item as I could not imagine "ONE THAT COULD PREFORM BETTER"! After ALL,if a Scanner (or anything) preforms to this level of excellence and Exceeds your EXPECTATIONS, it must be a # 5??
And lastly; this scanner has had a 50+ mile radius in its Reception with the Radio Shacks 20-034 Antenna Whip!In fact, I've noticed NO DIFFERENCE in its Reception and the Quality of the transmission compared to the R/S Discone Antenna I just put on the Roof!!!
IN CONCLUSION; I have totally abused every button and Function this Gadet has to offer, UNTIL I GOT IT RIGHT! And, It has been nothing but a "Piece of Precision,as you'd expect from a SWISS TIMEPIECE! IT has been a real PLEASURE!

KC2IGY Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2003 22:21 Send this review to a friend
Best Trunk Tracker HH  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned just about every Trunk Tracker GRE and Uniden have put out over the years, and this is by far the best one yet. Great features and performance. Of course many people will be buying this for it's digital capabilities, but I have no need for it yet in my area.

N8XRV Rating: 4/5 Jul 8, 2003 19:50 Send this review to a friend
BC250D With No APCO Card  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have not used the APCO digital card on this receiver.

This is a great little trunk tracker. Has alot of features, and makes scanning emergency services, and ham radio a pleasure.

The battery life is as expected from a stock battery. The stock antenna is decent for most handheld applications, but an external all band antenna for serious listening is recommended.

This scanner goes everywhere with me, and has taken a beating.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2003 14:45 Send this review to a friend
What I needed in a handheld  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I replaced a Uniden 245XLT with the 250D. Let me start by saying that I did not get the APCO digital card. It is not needed where I live. I have given it a pretty good workout so far.

I wanted this scanner for it's improved capabilities. It has CTCSS and DCS as well as a terrific alpha-numeric display. The CTCSS and DCS are very important as I live in radio-rich environment with many different agencies sharing the same frequency. In some areas a thousand channels would seem like overkill. Not where I live on Long Island. I have filled up the whole radio. NYPD alone is almost 100 channels.

So far the radio has performed great. Sensitivity is very good. I have not had any intermod problems, even when using a discone antenna up on the roof. It may be my imagination but battery life seems a bit shorter than that of my 245XLT which is using a similar battery. It could be that I have been leaving the display light on longer to see the alpha-numeric display. Speaking of the display, this is a great feature when you are looking at a thousand channels. It's tough to memorize that many frequencies and what they are used for. Now I don't have to. The nice display tells me what is in each channel.

I agree with the previous reviewer about birdies in the military aircraft band. There are quite a few. I have locked them out and now it searches through that band without a problem. The only danger is that there could be activity that I may be missing on those locked out channels. The military air band used to be quiet around here but since 9/11 there is quite a bit of interesting activity. I would hate to miss it.

Buying this scanner was a no-brainer for me. It has many of the features that I have been looking for. I like it so much I may pick up the sister scanner, the 785XLT, as well.