Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Yaesu FC-30 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FC-30
Yaesu FC-30 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $200.00
Description: Matching Tuner for FT897 - mounts on the side of the FT897

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FC-30.

M0IAT Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2014 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant little tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 897d & FC-30 since getting my licence in 2009 & it will tune my end fed 9:1 UnUn & long wire no problem at all. I even use a FC-30 with the 847, I don't have a problem with either of them. I'm beginning to think some owners are not setting them up correctly.

AA4MB Rating: 2/5 Jun 24, 2013 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Read ALL reviews of this tuner *carefully* before buying!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never given review of '1' before on any piece of equipment before, but seeing all of the '5' reviews might be misleading for anyone contemplating the purchase of this tuner. I will temper how I really feel about the FC-30 and be nice. Here goes.

First ... I'm glad that I came into possession of this tuner as part of a very attractively-priced package on a used FT-897 with a bunch of other gear. If I had purchased this new or stand alone, it would have gone back the day after I put RF through it the first time. Let me make one thing abundantly clear: Yaesu does NOT false advertise this tuner. It does exactly what it says, as far as I can see. It *will* present a decent match to your FT-897 with an antenna that has 3:1 SWR or below already. And make no mistake - this tuner looks AWESOME hanging off of your Yaesu rig. But don't even think about expecting anywhere close to LDG autotuner performance out of this. In fact, if you're used to using built-in tuners such as those found in the Kenwood HF rigs (TS-450, TS-870), you will be sorely disappointed with this unit. Why Yaesu continues to sell this tuner in its current state is simply beyond me. Companies such as LDG should give them a sloppy wet kiss, because their revenue would surely be impacted if Yaesu put a tuner comparable to theirs in the FC-30's case.

I got a big kick reading another reviewer stating that it would make a great project case. While I certainly felt as strongly at first, I'd simply put it like this: if any of you guys with close to resonant antennas giving this thing a '5' like it so much and have more than one FT-897/857 you'd like to hang one off of, make me an offer that I can't refuse ... because no way I'd sell this to anyone that hadn't used one first. I need to be able to sleep at night after all.

JGROVE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2013 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Not sure why some reviews are negative, i bought one second hand it it tunes with no problem at all, its a bit noisy but thats the relays all kicking in. I will look at the fan modification as well as it can be a pain.

MM0XXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 04:56 Send this review to a friend
Neat little tuner .....  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Tunes my 135' doublet on all bands with ease. Little noisy compared with some and the fan mod is best done but the tuner itself does what it states.

VE2TBC Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2012 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Works very well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tuner must have improved over the years because i do not see why it has so many bad reviews.

I use it with my ft-897 and it is a perfect match. It will tune my dx-cc on 80 m @ 3740 + or - 80 khz. Like the fc-10, at-180 and others. The only thing is that you lose the CAT port to control the tuner.

I bought it used and it has around one year of use.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2012 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works exactly as it should and will handle swr up to 3:1

If you want to tune a wire then go for the fc-40, yaesu clearly state this tuner is not really for a longwire
However if the swr of the longwire is below 3:1 then it will tune it, no problem

I also used the LDG AT-897 and prefer the fc-30 hands down

The LDG model is very hit and miss, you can tune up on a frequency and it will give you 1:1, tune up again and it will be 2:1, dont know why this is - But the yaesu gives me 1:1 everytime and works exactly as it should.

CJ5 Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2011 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great investment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Against my better judgement (after reading some of the negative reviews here) I went ahead and purchased this tuner, and I have to say that I was more than impressed with ease of operation, and how great the tuner worked out of the box. After using my new FT-897D for the first time yesterday, I jumped on the 17M band, fine tuned my antenna within a reasonable SWR range, and hit the autotune button on the transceiver, and it gave me 1:1 SWR in a snap. No more adjusting my radial with frustration. I think some Hams need to understand how SWR works, and how an autotuner like this one is not meant to perform SWR miracles on antennas that are not reasonably tuned for the respective bands you want to operate on. I've yet to be let down by Yaesu products. A great company!

DL6SRD Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2010 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Great addon - works perfect  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great (and fast) FT-897 addon tuner. It works perfect! My HF allband antenna is a Sloper and gives a VSWR of 4 at 40 meters, other bands all below or up to 3. So increased FT-897D hidden menu # 70 (VSWR3 10W) to 50. Originally it was at 33. Works flawlessly. Highly recommend this tuner. Additionally you are able to switch internally as described in the manual to have it in line for receive & transmit. Construction is solid also.

M3VXJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2009 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Does what it says on the box  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This bolts on the side of the FT-897D and will only tune an Antenna with SWR of 3:1 or less. It looks the part and is good and solid.

I sold my first FC-30 and replaced it with an LDG AT-897 but this burnt out a coil on 100 watts output and also felt quite cheap and nasty.

I have now bought another FC-30 and am very pleased with it.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2009 07:13 Send this review to a friend
It does what it was built to do.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had both the FC-30 and the LDG-897 tuners to compare and in the end I stuck with the Yaesu FC-30 despite it's tuning range being less than the LDG specifications. Suffice to say, I put more effort into getting my antenna's SWR down and relied less on any tuner solution. The FC-30 worked every time, the LDG didn't (and I didn't want to spend the time to work with with LDG to figure out what was wrong with their tuner (a problem reported by others too), so I returned it and was happy to pay the 15% restocking fee to be rid of the LDG tuner.

In the end, the FC-30 works every time as advertised within the specification it was designed to perform.

Oh yeah, on last thing. THe FC-30 looks like it is part of the 897, the LDG, well, just looked horribly out of place.