Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Alinco DR-1200T Data Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DR-1200T Data Radio
Alinco DR-1200T Data Radio Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: 2 Meter data radio with 25W output and 14 memory channels
More info: http://www.alinco.com/Archives/Mobile/dr1200spec.pdf

You can write your own review of the Alinco DR-1200T Data Radio.

KK4ULE Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2014 11:46 Send this review to a friend
SUPER SIMPLE!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Got this radio for $50 bucks or so and hooked it up, without a manual or even using the interweb I was able to program a repeater in within 1 minute. This radio is SO simple I wish others would take notes. It does only have 14 memories and no alphanumeric but if you just want a simple rig that can be programmed on the fly in a matter of seconds this is the way to go. Probably won't find one that doesn't have the backlights burned out already but not really that big of an issue. I also found that the receive on this radio is excellent. If you find one cheap I wouldn't pass it up.

K0OD Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2013 00:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio even on voice  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DR-1200 was an inexpensive 2-meter radio marketed for packet use in the early 90s. To save cost, the radio didn't come with a mic, but it's quite capable on FM voice with a Kenwood 8-pin mic.

A very simple mod can provide receive (and transmit) coverage from 132 to 173 MHZ. I occasionally use the radio to monitor local police and fire. Whether for packet or for monitoring local ham frequencies, my 1200 has remained powered up most of its 20 year life.

The backlight bulbs died years ago and don't appear to be easy to replace. Still, I have to rate this durable gem a 5 out of 5.

N3GGT Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2013 20:58 Send this review to a friend
Great radio except...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these at a hamfest for 50 dollars. It didn't come with a mic so I added a kenwood DTMF mic as pinouts are the same. Mine also had the dreaded backlight problem. It took me 5 hours to replace 3 tiny light bulbs. After three months they too went out. The radio sits on top of a shelf and monitors the local repeater. My next project is to replace the bulbs with bright white LEDs but there is one problem. There is no room for them... perhaps another five hours will cure it. Nice radio though.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2008 18:46 Send this review to a friend
such a deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a beater Alinco 1200 at the local ham swap for $30. It works. I'm pleased.
Looks terrible, even a thief might balk at taking it, but works fine and will be the heart of my APRS setup. Almost broke the $1 per watt bargain barrier. Nice thing about buying a cheap used radio, if it breaks or gets swiped your stress level is low. Some people say thats a good reason for marrying a homely woman. So far I've just used this strategy on radio purchases.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Jan 20, 2006 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Ideal packet tranceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these in operation for several years now. First it was part of a packet radio node/digi station that served the north suburban Chicago area. In 2002 this station was converted to an APRS digi. The DR-1200T's performance has been flawlwess and 100% reliable. It was checked recently and found to still be dead on frequency with the proper transmit deviation while putting out an honest 25 watts. What more could you ask?

N0FPE Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2003 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Works forever  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Alinco DR-1200T was made as a data radio and never came with a mic. You could order one as an option. The backlight problem is common, I have yet to see one that did not have at least one of the backlights burned out. Here locally we have been using 1200 for a packet BBS for over 10 years and it is still kickin!

KF3EH Rating: 4/5 Jul 20, 2003 01:36 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad little radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had one of these for a number of years - got it used in an equipment swap (traded an old Icom 2m all mode for it), and for the most part I've been very pleased. It only gives 25 watts out instead of the normal 50 for a mobile radio, but makes a good packet radio, and voice too, if you get a microphone for it. My only real issue with it is the backlight has a problem - don't know if it is inherent to these radios, or if I just got a bad one, but the guy who had it before me said he also had had problems with it