Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | CT Deluxe Straight Key Help

Reviews Summary for CT Deluxe Straight Key
CT Deluxe Straight Key Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $$199
Description: Straight Morse Key
More info: http://www.ur5cdx.com/index.php?currency=USD&language=en

You can write your own review of the CT Deluxe Straight Key.

N3HSH Rating: 2/5 Dec 19, 2007 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Mechanically Sloppy - Poor Finish in the Long Term  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this key for several years. While I love the looks and large size of this key (it will not move around the desk when operating!), it has some flaws. As other users have noted regarding other models of this manufacturer, the mechancal feel is somewhat sloppy. I find it very difficult to obtain a consistent adjustment. Once adjusted, it does not hold adjustment very long. The key lacks silver contacts of any sort. A pointed brass pin contacts a flat brass piece to make contact. This does not make for a precise feel.

Also, the arm exhibits lateral motion. In short, the key looks better than it works.

But the looks are flawed as well. After about a year of ownership, I noticed the brass began to pit. I do not mean tarnish, I mean pit as in oxidize. Perhaps there is something I could have done to prevent this, but I was surprised how suddenly it seems to lose its appearance.

UR5CDX Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2003 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Key for your shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
Please excuse my English. I was able to trade this key in Russia, St. Peperburgh when Tony was there with him products a few yers back. I traded my old TS-520SE for the key, namely. The key is very nice made by hands, crafted exceptionally OK. I do not adore small keys, so this BIG key for Morse is great. Stays stable when send Morse in the Air. Good one. Best 73 to Tony.

Anonymous Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2003 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Rolls Roys of the hand keys !  Time owned: more than 12 months
That is one of the best keys I have ever tried ! The workmanship is excellent. The precision is superb and the operation is smooth as if you drive a Rolls Roys ! The key is usually in stock from the suppliers, yet in my case I was on a short waiting list. The key arrived in 11 days, very well packed (triple (!) box for the key itself plus a larger box with poly chips or the like stuff). I must admit a very friendly service. Well done, folks !

MW0GAL Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2003 13:43 Send this review to a friend
As YL I like it !  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was presented this beautiful key for Christmas as a present from my ham frinds. Generall, I am not very active nowdays, but the was so good I could not resist and try it on the Air. It is very stylish, it shines like gold (sorry, I am YL !). It is very easy to drive it. A very nice addition to my modest TS-440S radio.

73 !

9V1VV Rating: 1/5 Mar 8, 2003 02:22 Send this review to a friend
Poor Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The armature on my key is not straight along the base and is askew at the bearings by about 3 degrees. The front "contacts" are only a brass plate at the base and a brass spigot under the armature. No actual silver or any other type of contact is used. With a very small gap this gives rise to poor repeatabilty and corrupted symbols. I have a friend with a good workshop and I will fix the bearing alignment and add proper contacts, but this should not be necessary for such an expensive key.
In short, it looks great in a display cabinet. But as it comes, it is not suitable for serious use.