Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Comet M24-M Dual Band Mag Mount Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet M24-M Dual Band Mag Mount Mobile Antenna
Comet M24-M Dual Band Mag Mount Mobile Antenna Reviews: 11 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Black anodized 2m/70cm antenna, 19.5" tall, comes with 13 feet of RG-58/U coax and a gold-plated PL-259 connector. 1.7dB gain 3/8 wave for 2m, 4.1dB gain 1/4 and 5/8 wave for 70cm. Max power 80 watts, 1.5:1 or less VSWR.
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Comet M24-M Dual Band Mag Mount Mobile Antenna.

KK4PSG Rating: 3/5 Mar 11, 2014 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Cheap  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first antenna ever. used it indoors on a filing cabinet to receive before I ever got my license. finally moved it to the car and it served its purpose. Its small, compact, all-in-one: cable, mount and antenna. It does fine for repeater work around town. now the bad news: the magnet seperated from the base. Luckily this happened when uninstalling it from the car, instead of while I was driving down the road! maybe I got a lemon. take the risk if you want.

AI6JA Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2013 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Good, but magnet fell out of base  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I live the San Francisco Bay Area with no shortage of repeaters. This antenna works great for me, both for repeater use and simplex. I would give it a 5/5, but the magnet fell out of the base. Nothing a little epoxy can't fix, but it is rather annoying.

KD8MSS Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2011 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for what it is.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Discrete magmount that I use on vehicles that are not mine. This is not a super gain 5/8ths wave antenna and should not be judged as if it were.

Hits repeaters at a reasonable distance with a 5 watt 2m HT. I don't run 70cm so I can't judge it on that band.

Would I recommend it to someone in a metropolitan area? Yes! Would I recommend it for someone on the fringes of the repeater? No!

KD8HAM Rating: 0/5 Jun 11, 2011 23:01 Send this review to a friend
Very poor coverage - avoid!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this antenna on recommendation from the sales person, when I bought my Ft-2900R unit. The antenna works great within a 5 mile radius of the repeater - outside of that the coverage is very very poor and lots of complains about the transmit quality too. Checked all connections and made sure that the Co-ax wasn't pinched.

Save your money and buy a Larsen, diamond or a hustler sf-2!

N1IHM Rating: 0/5 May 3, 2011 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Poor General Coverage Receive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna because it was small and discreet....l did not want to put something looking like a cell tower on my trunk lid.

In my area the repeaters are up high and the terrain is kind of flat. The antenna worked no better or worse than I expected.

However the coverage around 160 MHZ is terrible. I could only hear Amtrak when the trains were within two miles.
My HT gets two weather transmitters but the Comet was completely deaf.

I replaced the Comet M24 with a Maldol EX-107 and got much better results. I can now here Amtrak engines in a 26 mile radius. I also get 4 weather transmitters (although band conditions play a factor)

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2010 08:41 Send this review to a friend
So far so good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

Using on top of my truck with yaesu 1802m 2m rig.

Antenna itselt seemed to be leaning to one side slightly, bent it back a little to make more true vertical

No set screw to come loose, no adjustment to be had, just hooked it up - have not confirmed swr yet.
Seems to hit repeaters I'm use to working with a much longer whip. 73 K1WJ David

KG6UTS Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2007 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Good for my use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the M24 at HRO in Woodbridge VA for use as a traveling antenna on rental cars. Before I used the ultra light dual band antennas with 50 cent piece sized rare earth mag bases and RG-174. Those work very well but suffered due physically light construction. The M24 is heavier so should last longer and still fits in my carry-on duffle. The travel radio is a Kenwood TH-G71A HT run off a cigarette lighter supply. The antenna is not my SBB5-NMO but it is great for the needed function
KG6UTS

POOBA53 Rating: 2/5 Aug 22, 2005 18:08 Send this review to a friend
High SWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these from Universal Radio and planned on using it with my VX-5RS HT while traveling. I was getting some rather weak signal reports and then used an MFJ antenna analyser to assess the SWR. It was higher than 2:1 on both bands. I then attached a Comet SBB5 and had less than 1.2:1 across both bands. The antenna appears to be physically too long. No way to adjust length either. Universal was very gracious about the return. I will purchase an SBB5 w/mag mount adapter.

K4PDM Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2004 10:06 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it is!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went from driving a "bucket of bolts" with a Hamstick on each side and a tri-magnet-mounted 5 foot long dual-band antenna on the roof, to this! When I got my new vehicle, I decided to give up HF mobile for a while with its noise and big antennas, and go low-profile mobile. This antenna is certainly low profile--in the middle of my Tracker roof you don't even notice it if you are not looking for it. As for performance, since I am using it higher and with a better ground plane than the long antenna, I can't really see any difference. The hilly terrain is a factor here, too. It won't break on tree limbs as some of my antennas have, either. Numbers aside, in practical use, a couple of dB is hard to detect--especially as the size of this one allows it to go higher and get a better ground plane. Although it probably should be about $10 cheaper, it is doing a great job for me.

WL7BDO Rating: 3/5 Feb 2, 2004 21:05 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna..but  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased so my wife could use on my in-laws car when see drives them the 60 miles to the doctors. Just using one of our 6 watt hand-helds to hit the linked repeaters on the way. Transmit and receive have not been a problem. A fine antenna.

Problem was a few weeks after putting the antenna on the car noticed that the antenna was coming free of the mag base. The nut inside was not secured tightly when made. Had to damage the nice mag-mount underside to gain access to tighten the hardware. My first Comet and I guess I was expecting good quality. Or more like good quality control.

Carl