Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Nye Viking Help

Reviews Summary for Nye Viking
Nye Viking Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $70
Description: Super squeeze key
More info: http://www.MorseX.com/nye/

You can write your own review of the Nye Viking.

AA6ZE Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2012 21:38 Send this review to a friend
Good workhorse  Time owned: 3 to 6 months

I received this SSk-2-K which is the keyer paddle combo in a package deal a few months ago. When adjusting it, I found it preforms best with more spacing then I'm accustomed to with my other paddles. In spite of this it has a good "feel" and higher speed cw can be sent once I good used to it. It's solid and doesn't move around the table however, If you must have a light touch and tight contacts it's probably not the paddle for you. I would rate it higher than the Bencher. The only reason it doesn't get a 5 is that the spacing adjustments aren't very precise.

K7NSW Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2011 11:55 Send this review to a friend
TRUE BLUE KEY FOR ME!  Time owned: more than 12 months
First licensed 1961 & on cw ever since. Own 3 of these paddles for over ten years. Not a contester, DXer or high speed cw op. Operate around 15 wpm and slow down for QRS ops. Operate daily with QSOs typically 20 to 30 minutes long. Love these keys. Good touch and smooth operation. After all these years with my Nye-Vikings I occasionally think I ought to "get something better". I have looked around and tried more expensive keys. Are they better? Yes, to some degree they are. But I cannot see or feel enough of an improvement to justify spending a lot of money to make a change. My Nye-Vikings are tough reliable keys and have never let me down. The picture at the top of this page is awful. Looks like someone knocked the paddles out of place. I love to look at the little sailing ship on the top of the key covers on my keys. My next key must be a straight key as I just enlisted in SKCC. Other than that, I am sticking with my Nye-Vikings. Sweet!

W7AQK Rating: 4/5 Mar 12, 2011 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of these for a good many years. I rate it a fair bit higher than most, but mainly because it has special qualities. Let's be honest--it's not very pretty! However, it is built to take almost any abuse, and that has significant benefits. I think it is one of the best paddles you can use for mobile CW.

The mechanical parts of the paddle are almost totally encased in thick metal, so you probably won't hurt it if you knock it around a bit. The picture above doesn't show the metal cover over the mechanical pieces. The finger pieces are well supported too, so they aren't nearly as susceptible to damage from rough usage as other paddles.

Surprisingly, the paddle has a fairly decent "feel". Also, the longer finger pieces make it easier to manipulate from odd positions, like mobile operation. It's also heavy enough to not move around on you easily.

This is not a "precision parts" paddle, like the Begali and Schurr paddles I also own, but it is every bit as competent as a lot of mid-priced paddles you see. I actually think it is better than the Bencher paddles I have owned in the past. I don't think you would have much of a problem sending very good CW with this paddle.

Given its durability, I think this paddle makes a heck of a lot of sense for many situations--like mobile or portable use. It is relatively simple in design, so it is easy to maintain. Don't let its looks fool you. It's a good paddle!

N3WXW Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2008 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Good mobile key  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello I use my key for mobile use. I use it upside down under the trucks flip up center consol .What a lot of folks miss is, the finger pieces can move in to a "park position" and an operate position. When In the truck I use it in the "parked position" . When Camping and out on the table I use the "out position" which use a much lighter touch to operate.

KJ4TQ Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2003 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Good solid performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Nye Viking paddles for several years and have tried other more expensive or decorative paddles. None offered enough of an improvement to get me to switch. I'll be squeezing the Viking until I make it onto the SK list. My model has an extension for mounting a straight key which right now holds an older Radio Shack J38. I'm shopping to add the SpeedX for when I'm working under 13 WPM, more likely due to my technique than a limitation of the Viking.

VE3HG Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2002 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Durable & Inexpensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
My dad bought this set of paddles for me as a Christmas present 20 years ago or so. They've been dropped, kicked and thrown into the junk box going to Field Day for years and they keep working. Okay, they're not liquidly smooth and not infinitely adjustable but they are serviceable and boldly go where few delicate keys would dare. I like mine. 73 Peter, VE3HG

WB9OFG Rating: 1/5 May 16, 2001 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've tried these paddles many times over the 20 or so years they've been on the market, and all I can say about them is.....JUNK!
We have a set at my club station (W9YB) and I don't use 'em. I bring either the lightning bug or the original from home.
They might be OK for mobile use. Tied to the horn realay......

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2000 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Very dependable!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At Marshall Emm's (Mr. CW) suggestion picked up a Nye Viking SSK-001 and love it! With it's metal covering it's made for mobile service, see photos at: www.k6sdw.org

I'm looking to buy another one for the shack and "retire" the Bencher........the cheap Nye Viking a better key, in my opinion....73

AC5AA Rating: 3/5 Dec 15, 1999 14:51 Send this review to a friend
SSK-001 Inexpensive but usable  Time owned: unknown months
The Nye "Super Squeeze Keyer" paddle set is inexpensive compared to others (US$70) and won't be for everyone. It is not nearly as durable as the other Nye hand keys, and features many plastic parts including the knife-edge bearing for the paddles. The attractive thing about this paddle is the enclosed top which makes it easy to bungee cord or otherwise attach to a car console for mobile CW work. The paddles can be bumped out of alignment with the fulcrum, so some care is needed in handling. This is not a "precision machine" but will do well in the mobile environment.