Reviews Categories | Ham Radio education & exam prep materials | Gordon West Written Element Study Guides Help

Reviews Summary for Gordon West Written Element Study Guides
Gordon West Written Element Study Guides Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $11.95
Description: Study guides for the written exam elements by Gordon West. In Question and Answer format with explanations. Available for Technician, General and Extra.
More info: http://www.w5yi.org/Textbooks.htm

You can write your own review of the Gordon West Written Element Study Guides.

W3AHL Rating: 2/5 Dec 3, 2012 04:04 Send this review to a friend
Too Many Errors!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm teaching an Extra Class License Preparation Course for 10 hams, using the latest update (2012-2016) of the element 4 study guide by Gordon West.

The explanations given for many of the newer questions have technical errors, irrelevant info and poor diagrams. I've documented 30 errata for the first 12 of 16 chapters, but that doesn't include needed improvements to marginal content. It is obvious that this edition had no competent technical review prior to publication.

The free instructor's PowerPoint presentation had numerous errors also, but I am using an early draft version.

On a positive note, the W5YI staff provided good service.

K3WDR Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2012 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Simply The Best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since a kid I wanted to be a Ham, learned last November about No more code.Ordered ARRL manuals and started wading through them. Ordered Gordon's books for Tech and General. After a couple weeks study got 100% on both. Now starting on Extra. Have used the ARRL manuals to look up issues I don't understand. I have intentionally held back on the Extra for this reason. Now I feel confident to proceed. My suggestion is to have both ARRL and West manuals, this way if you need to look into something you might not totally understand you can look it up. Gordo's manuals are the best!

N9FTK Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2012 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Well organized and Effective  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Passed Extra Class test yesterday 3/10/2012 with 96%. If you want to get into Amateur Radio or upgrade an existing license, get Gordon's guides. Study material is well organized and fun. You will walk into the exam room with confidence, AND will leave the exam room with an excellent score !

Sincerely,
Bob Fiedler - N9FTK

W2MSK Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2011 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Proof in the Pudding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used several of Gordos' study aids. Passed my 5 and 13 WPM CW test using his tapes and also the GROL. May have been successful with other study aids but the proof is in the success! Thanks Gordo!

N9NJS Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Passed My Extra In 2 Weeks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased Gordo's Extra Class Element 4 Study guide at a local Hamfest ( about $25.00 ).I started studying the 4th of July Weekend ( 2011 ).The evening of July 19th I took the test in South County St.Louis ( Clif Cave Team ) and passed - missed 2.
If you want to pass & have the will I would suggest
buying this Extra Class Study Guide by Gordon West.
Thanks Gordo
N9NJS
Brent Lee Cameron

WA4LIR Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2011 14:47 Send this review to a friend
Logical, Detailed, Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the new extra exam better to give me a better understanding than what I was getting through the online guides. I just needed to see some of the theory in print. Subject matter well organized into understandable segments. The 1-2 punch of online study and Gordo's book helped me upgrade in about 30 minutes of exam taking. Worth the investment as a future resource and study guide.

WX9MAN Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2011 14:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I loaded the Extra Class audio theory CDs on my ipod and listened to it at work for about 2 months. I also took the online test 19 times and studied the questions dailey before I took the real exam. Gordo keeps saying that you will "pass with flying colors" and he's right, I passed with a 100% and it only took me about 15-20min. Other people who were taking the Extra Class test with me were not even 1/2 way done when I was walking out the door with my Amateur Extra Class ticket. Gordo explained the math so well that I didn't even use my calaulator! Praise God!!!

KG1F Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
Gordo made it easy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I passed both Element 3 and Element 4 with the help of the Gordon West Audio CDs, listening to them on my commute to and from work every day for a month or two. Gordo helps with all kinds of tips and mnemonic tricks and a real easy to understand teaching style.

Thanks, Gordo!

N6XRR Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2009 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Great! The best of all.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gordo's material has helped me through Technician, General and now through Extra class. I can not compliment his material enough. With his study material, both the written and especially the CD that can be installed on your computer, I was able to pass my Extra exam. I really appreciate Gordon's positive attitude about studying. His overall attitude about Ham radio is second to none.
I recommend all of his study material highly. It exceeds all the others that I have tried over the years.

N1FFF Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2008 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Really helpful tutorial  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Using both the CDs and manual, Gordo helped me pass both element 3 and element 4 - I credit him with helping me get both my General and Amateur Extra classs license.

I listened to the CDs while traveling to and from work for several months, and worked through many of the questions in the accompanying book.

He help w/ various memory tricks and nmenoics, and really explains things in an easy to understand fashion.

Working with both the CDs and the book,, combined with many hours of drilling through the practice exams on QRZ.COM, really helped me pass the tests.

Another trick - when working on the QRZ.COM tests, any time I would run into a question I could not answer I would look it up in the book. I'd finish the test, and then do it again till I would get 100%. Then I'd do another version of the practice test the same way.