Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Motorola GTX Portable Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola GTX Portable
Motorola GTX Portable Reviews: 5 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2.00
Description: "The innovative GTX radio offers an unprecedented combination of multi-feature advantages with a new level of value and cost efficiency. Motorola quality is more accessible than you think." -Motorola
More info: http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/portables/gtx.shtml

You can write your own review of the Motorola GTX Portable.

KD0DUJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2013 23:07 Send this review to a friend
dual operation  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I like this radio because you scan between conventional and LTR here is an example I use my GTX on the 900mhz ham band and I can also to AMR ambulance on the LTR trunk.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Have to agree  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will agree 100% on this one. My GTX is a tank, or at least thinks its a tank. Damn nice radio and works well. I also now have a MTX9250 for 900mhz and its even better!!! BUT I still use the GTX all the time. Of course i might be a bit bias as I also have a MSF-5000 900mhz repeater on the air!!!

N4LI Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 11:19 Send this review to a friend
It freakin' works.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
902 MHz is one of those bands that if we donít use, weíll lose. And, weíll deserve to. But, it takes a bit of creativity to get on 902 MHz. One canít just run down to Radio Shack and pick up a radio.

Fortunately, a group of folks here in Memphis are trying to establish a beachhead on the band. And, they have taken the initiative of preparing Motorola radios, one of which has made it to my hands.

The GTX handheld is a brick, almost literally. This ainít some weak-wristed amateur HT; this is big boy stuff. The radio is big, bulky and beefy. Itís way more than youíll ever really need. And, itís tough. I was told that a fellow ham had one fall off an 8í shelf onto a concrete floor, and was barely dinged.

The GTX will do a lot more than just typical FM duplex. There are several commercial functions that wonít be used. Heck, I am unsure what some of the buttons and menus do, but I donít really care. I have no reason to ever switch off the repeater frequency.

I must say I had some trepidations about 4W of 902 MHz RF going right into my eyes. So, I found a genuine Motorola speaker/mic on eBay for $10 (including shipping from China). Problem solved.

In short, the GTX works, assuming you can get the thing programmed.

N1OFJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2004 16:58 Send this review to a friend
great radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I modified a trunking 900 mhz portable to the ham bands. Puts out rated power and has an excellent receiver (902/927). Excellent receive audio and others tell me my transmitted audio is excellent. As previously stated, it is nice that it shares common accessories with the GP series. I am fortunate enough to have the proper software etc to program the radio. Mine uses the version 4.00 software. You cannot use earlier versions of software once you upgrade the radio.

K2PH Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2004 21:41 Send this review to a friend
A REAL RADIO !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using mine on our local 902 MHz repeater for about a year. Absolutely great audio, both receive and transmit. It uses all of the accessories from my GP300 as well. Reasonably priced after-market high capacity NiMH batteries and rapid chargers are available.
Only down side is that you do need to know someone who has a computer and interface as well as the necessary software to program the radio.