Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | DXLab by AA6YQ Help

Reviews Summary for DXLab by AA6YQ
DXLab by AA6YQ Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: Integrated suite of programs for logging and station management
More info: http://www.dxlabsuite.com

You can write your own review of the DXLab by AA6YQ.

W0CP Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2017 14:52 Send this review to a friend
The One that Grows With You  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can't say enough good about this fantastic suite of programs. Some of the amazing features I use regularly are lotw and club log integration, special callsign notifications, email DX alerts, SQL filtering of spots, propagation predictions and on and on. There is so much here, it can be intimidating. Just start with one, like logging or spotting and build out from there as you get comfortable. Give it time, it will grow on you and with you.

NJ5N Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2016 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Solid   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the DXLab suite for several years now and I am very satisfied with the performance as well as the support. In all the years I have used the software it has performed extremely well. Logging programs are like many things in that different ones will suite different people depending on their operating style and preferences. DXLab works great for me and is solid without lockups. If you should find it lacks a feature you want and there is enough demand Dave will review and try to accommodate.

WA8Y Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Best of it's kind  Time owned: more than 12 months
To follow up on my previous review, I explain how to find AB1OC's review of Dave's (AA6YQ's) excellent Suite of Apps.
Go to DXLabSuite.com.
There, below the map, are 11 tabs, the 10th tab is labeled Documentation. Click Documentation and near the lower left corner of that page is a link titled "Articles and Presentations". Click it.
At the top of that page is a link to AB1OC's Slide Show titled:
"An Introduction to DXLab Suite by Fred AB1OC.
Sincerely, Steven WA8Y

N9LJX Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 08:10 Send this review to a friend
Best I have seen  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been a user of DXLab Suite for many years. I started computer logging back in the early 1990s and have been following the progression ever since. Each software has its strengths and weaknesses and each user must evaluate those based on their individual needs. There are many good logging programs, but none that fits my needs as well as DXLab Suites.

The interface is clean, simple, and highly customizable. Yes, it lacks the eye candy that other products may give you, but to me that is a perk. I can show as much or as little as I want in the main log page display. And when using the 'Capture' window along with DXView, which shows me the award status for the station, I don't need to have the log page in view.

The Launcher app allows for a simplified way to start/stop multiple applications, configure the applications based on different needs by use of 'Work Spaces', and allows for a centralized tool to check for application updates.

I truly appreciate the multiple, integrated, modular application design. I don't always need to have the propagation prediction tool running, or the Digital application, or even the call lookup. I can save screen space by either shutting them down or minimizing their windows. And by having SpotCollector as a separate module I can easily have it running watching for needed stations on different bands/modes while running a contest as a SO entry. So when P52NK comes up on 30m during CQWW I will be able to be notified while not getting spots for contest bands.

The Reports are saved in either HTML or text files. Again, to me this is a feature as I am able to easily integrate my needs/standings to other applications such as web pages. But the Realtime Award Tracking will show you, in the application, your status for many major awards.

There is an option that allows 'running' stations (config/General/Run-Mode) where you just enter a valid call and it logs it and sets you ready for next call. even if not connected to a rig you can set the mode/freq defaults for the current session. While that option may seem 'buried' it is well documented and I was able to track it down without ever even knowing about in a few minutes.

As others have said, the application is very mature and contains many features that many users will never use. AA6YQ does an excellent job, however, of trying to maintain a balance between perceived complexity and ease of use when implementing new feature/functionality.

For me it is Bravo to AA6YQ for a superb product, top notch support, and for being just an all around good guy. While seemingly constantly addressing user questions or upgrading the applications he can still be found on the bands working DX.

SM7IUN Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Best software suite around, and free  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Having returned to ham radio after over two decades of QRT I had the luxuy of a "fresh start" so I could shop around for the best PC software unrestricted by legacy data or habit.

After trying all the free I could find and a few paid ones I found DXLab to best suit my needs.

Although it works "straight out of the box" its rich featurs set makes for a slight learning curve compared to a "simple logger" where you just enter data and click.

The UI graphics may not look like the latest Android release but its purposeful and the underlying software is world class.
It is a complete ham radio desktop solution and works well for both casual traffic, dxing and contest.
I love how the dx spotter, viewer, logger and keyer/digimode engine are integrated.
The keyer supports contesting with macros and I recently had a great experience doing several hundred QSO in the YO DX contest.
It's modular design lets you to organize your desktop space based on situational needs.
The keyer/digimode module supports all the major modes (SSB, CW, PSK, RTTY) natively but also interfaces to other engines if you prefer.
I have successfully integrated it with GRITTY, Fldigi and WSJT-X. A particularly valuable feature for us europeans is that WinKey driver supports international morse code characters, a feature shared with few softwares.

The author is AA6YQ, one of the brains behind LOTW and several other major software innovations.
The software is supported through an email reflector where the author himself participates on a daily basis which is great.

AB3CV Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 04:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used DXLabs Suite for the past 5 years and have enjoyed it greatly. I both chase DX and contest. For contesting I use N1MM for which it is purpose built. It is quick and easy to transfer those contacts via ADI to my DXKeeper log after the contest is over for upload to LOTW which is my normal practice.

DXKeeper Capture allows for quick entry of contacts and if setup with your callbook (QRZ for me) fills in all of the needed information for capturing a QSO. If a spot is clicked on in SpotCollector all is filled in for you with no additional work.

The "flashing lights" mentioned is just information missing when the QSO was logged. AA6YQ's help files are extremely well managed and up to date with each modification made to the software. His attention to keeping the known bug list at zero is legendary as is his online customer support.

I like the multiple windows as it lets me keep only the pieces I want to see occupying screen space and arranged as I want them. Further most of the windows are user configurable to show only those things important to me.

I didn't jump deeply into all of the modules when I started but did add them fairly quickly as I discovered their utility from reading the help files and the Yahoo group conversations.

Thanks largely to DXlabs in those 5 years I'm now at 314 countries confirmed, 2300 Challenge worked and DXCC on 160 thru 10m with a total of 35792 QSOs. DXLabs made that possible due to excellent Spot collection and alerting (I have it text me), logging, QSL management and support.

Highly recommended!

WW3S Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 03:59 Send this review to a friend
great software, but maybe not for everyone....  Time owned: more than 12 months
with regards to the last review, like most powerful software, the learning curve for DxLab is rather steep. I'll admit, its not for everyone. The nice thing about this software, is just about everything is user configurable.....the bad thing about this software, is just about everything is user configurable !!!! but with regards to entering QSOs rapid fire, it does that, its called the Capture window...award tracking is great, interfaces seamlessly with LOTW, the support from the author is superb, their is good support from the mailing list, and most times when someone posts "this software sucks because yada yada yada" the reply is usually, "well, did you check the setting for XYZ, try that and see what happens" and then that response is "DOH....I didnt know the software did that, that is realy cool"...so the price is certainly right (some people arent comfortable with free stuff, for some reason they think if they pay more, its "better"), the support is great and friendly, I've been using it for years, now over 120,000 qsos, plus 2 logs I manage from DX operations and I am one truly satisfied "customer"....73

K3TN Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 03:31 Send this review to a friend
Complex but fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started out with N3FJP's logging software and then moved to Ham Radio Deluxe. Each had deficiencies compared to how I operate - mostly DXing, I do a lot of contesting but use N1MM+ for my contest logs. But, I needed a day to day log that could handle importing all my contest logs, too and handling all the QSL (LotW, eQSL, buro response) chores and I also wanted to operate RTTY, PSK through it.

When I first loaded DXLab I thought it was crazy complex - you had to load 6 or 7 different modules. However, they all play together very nicely and over time I relaized the modularity had 2 big advantages over the other logging programs:

1. Bugs were fixed much faster and new features get added much faster. AA6YQ's support is phenomenal - usually within hours.
2. You have more flexibility on how much and where you want things to display on your screen.

Once you get over the complexity of multiple modules, operation is a snap. The logbook (DXKeeper), the packet cluster monitor (Spot Collector) and the radio control work together seamlessly. DXKeeper makes it easy to upload to LotW and eQSL and has scripts for many other functions. There is a map display of spots, a bandmap display, many other options. Commander is supported by lots of other programs (like WSJT and N1MM via bridge software) so you can leave DXLab running while you run other programs and QSOs get put right into your DXKeeper log.

There are a few negatives. The WinWarbler RTTY/FSK software to me is way harder to use than DM780 and other packages. The program has so many options that many of the screens contain buttons I never use - I'd like to be able to have a configuration capability to simply many of the main screens.

The "flashing red words" error mentioned by the other reviewer is confusing until you understand it is generally pointing out an error (like an unknown or invalid DX prefix) that needs to be corrected or the log entry will be invalid.

All in all, after trying several other programs I've stayed with DXLab for 5 years or so now, with a log that now has over 120,000 QSOs in it. Still going strong.

73 John K3TN

N2RJ Rating: 1/5 Sep 22, 2016 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Trust me, I tried to like DXLabSuite  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So I tried. I really honestly tried. Really really hard. I tried to use and like DXLab suite based on my friends reviews and raves about it. I guess I can't see what all the fuss is about.

I was a user of Ham Radio Deluxe. Decent when Simon Brown actively maintained it but had a lot of bugs. When W4PC and others took it over, they fixed a lot of bugs but some new ones came in. I just kept using the free version until more of those bugs just hampered my efforts. I tried the pay one and then saw that they really didn't improve that much in it.

Then I tried DXLabSuite.

Oh. my. God. I can't see for the life of me why people rave about this thing.

For starters the interface looks like Windows 3.1. Past that it seemed very user unfriendly. There was no straightforward way to enter rapid QSOs in succession (such as when running a pileup) at least from the outset. It uses the outdated and nonstandard "launcher" helper app to load the others. Reports are generated in HTML rather than in the program itself. When you make an error in a QSO entry you get these weird red flashing words on the screen rather than an understandable error message.

I tried several times to like DXLabSuite but in the end I just couldn't. It may be powerful but it was not pleasant nor straightforward to use.

I switched to Log4OM and I never looked back.

NA5U Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2016 15:56 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is best logging software I've every used. It truly DXer's dream for solid operation and EXCELLENT support from the author, Dave - AA6YQ, and the user group! I highly recommend it!